Guest viewing is limited

THR Friday 13th July

I still sleep with a pillow between my knees. It is recommended for those of us with spinal issues. Probably not needed once restrictions are lifted.
 
You may find us more comfortable with it for a bit.
I also sleep with pillow some nights for back issues.
 
I love my body pillow @Bionic
I've become very attached to it.
The only time I don't use it....is when it's fallen on the floor in the middle of the night.
Hope you're continuing to feel progress week by week.
Wishing you a great Friday and a nice weekend too!
 
@lalya
The hip is feeling very good thanks. It's frustrating that I can't make the most of it though because the opposite knee is very painful.
OS said I need a knee replacement but have to go in the waiting list :-(
 
Another milestone. I had my first bath today :bath: got in OK but getting out was a bit difficult as my feet kept slipping. Husband was trying to help but I think he was more of a hindrance. I will get the rubber mat out of the shower next time.
Anyway, no damage done and I am getting ready to watch the last episode of The Bodyguard now. For those not in the UK it's a blockbuster of a drama.
 
Hi @Bionic - good idea about the rubber mat. Final of Bodyguard was excellent. I don’t have any nails left.
Can you describe your technique for getting in and out of thexbath as hoping my restrictions will be lifted today. X
 
Hi @SurreyGirl
I have a small shelf at the back of one of the short ends of the bath, it's just a tile wide. I sat on the shelf and lifted one leg over after the other. That bit was easy. I then slithered down, holding onto the sides and moving my feet forward as I went.
I was careful not to make the bath too hot as I knew I wouldn't be able to hop out quickly. So water was just quite warm. Once in I topped up with hotter water.
Getting out I let all the water out first, not sure if this was a good or bad thing. I then reversed the process. That's when my feet started to slip as I walked them backwards. I used my arms to push myself upwards. That was awkward and when husband tried to help pull me out. Although I had to put a lot,of weight on my arms I felt more confident doing that than relying on my husband in case he dropped me.
I have to say that a couple of days beforehand we did a dummy run. I was fully dressed and no water in the bath.
I hope you can make sense of of this.
 
I'll bet the dummy run was a lot easier :heehee:
I was a little nervous reading about the real deal.
You definitely need a rubber mat and maybe hubs still within ear shot until you have it down.
First baths / showers are wonderful though, can't beat em!
Hope your week is a good one!
@Bionic
 
That makes perfect sense thanks.... did you have your op leg stretched in front of you when getting up? Sadly my Consultants appt got postponed to next week.and I only found out when I got there grrrrgh!

I darent break the restrictions prior to seeing him so will have to be content with drenching myself sitting under the shower instead for now. I will probably have hubs near me when attempting my first bath and will be sure to use the mat. I do have quite a bit of strength in my legs now so that should help. Hope you have a nice friendly yellow duck to keep you company!
 
@SurreyGirl,
No yellow duck to keep me company, just a glass of wine...hic

I didn't have the operated leg stretched out in front. I bent it at the knee but didnt break the 90 degree restrictions
 
Good news,
I received the appointment today to see the OS again on 1st Nov. Hopefully he will agree to do my left knee, which is very painful, before the left hip, which isn't causing me any problems.
 
Another month to wait.
Hope the pain is bearable until then.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@Bionic
 
I am on 12 week restrictions which end in Friday.

How do I go from the restrictions to being normal?

I am not one of those people who have been putting their hip to a test in the interim. I have followed the rules to the letter and am now SCARED to let myself go.
 
That is a very good question. I am following avidly. Pretty sure I have broken those restrictions one more than one occasion..
 
How do I go from the restrictions to being normal?
If you have been released from your restrictions just go easy and listen to that hip. It will tell you if it's too soon. I found issues with lifting anything heavy and any twisting. But your hip will complain. Just back off and try again another day.
 
Congrats on being released from restrictions tomorrow! Woohoo! :yay: :happydance: :yes!:
I'm like you, I follow rules also because I'm afraid if I don't and something goes wrong, I'd want a do-over but wouldn't get one!

I'd do just as Jaycey advised, take it slow and if something bothers you, stop.
Don't be afraid, I understand, but try to just let go, move slow and ENJOY. You can do it!
Let us know how you're feeling in a few days....will look forward to it.
@Bionic
 
Wow, @Bionic, how great it must feel to know you're off restrictions. Sure, it will take some time, after being so terribly cautious for so long, for you to feel completely comfortable doing things that were off-limits, but I think the advice given here, to just go slowly and cautiously, monitoring how you feel each time, will quickly get you back to a position when having no restrictions just seems natural. I don't actually have restrictions, but like everyone else in this situation, I am just following the "if it hurts, don't do it" rule which works fine. After a week I am still pretty stiff and sore, but being able to bear full weight on my operated leg, even if it's a tad bit uncomfortable, makes me feel more secure. Going to try out walking sticks today, once my husband sizes them for me, and see if those work better than this dreaded walker which totally frustrates me at times. Congrats on your progress to date!
 
Last edited:
I'm disappointed that I'm not getting the best from my hip, which is feeling great, because the knee on the other side is very painful. Decided to see my GP today. He has given me some co-codamol to try for the pain as several other meds haven't touched it. So, I am just about to have a tablet but am going to be very conservative with them.
During my hip consultations the OS said that I need a knee replacement but an X-ray has never been done so GP sent me for an X-ray this afternoon. Apparently I won't get the results back for a week to ten days. I will report back when I have the results.
 
I'm sorry your knee is holding you back with the hip.
Hopefully you can devise a plan to move forward once you have the x-ray results.
Wishing you comfort as you wait. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Bionic
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom