THR Friday 13th July

Bionic, You Cassidy and I are almost triplets--virtually the same age, and all had surgery within 5 days.

As for the sleep problem, I had the same. I was averaging maybe 4 to 5 hours sleep at night for the for about the first 11 days, but never napped during the day. I crashed day 12, could barely carry on a civil conversation. Now I am doing much better, but I'm not sure if that's the natural adjustment, or because I started taking a bit of gravol at night before bed (or both). They are anti-nausea tablets, and you don't need a prescription for them here in BC. I started with two tablets ( 100mg) for the first couple of nights, then went down to one 50 mg tablet. I got a full seven hours of sleep last night, my best night yet. Feeling great today.

Now I don't know if such an approach to enhancing sleep would be recommended on the BoneSmart forum, so hopefully one of the moderators will weigh in. I would recommend listening to BoneSmart over me because this is all new to me. Plus you never know about the placebo effect. I should add the only tablets I am on now (besides 1 Gravol at night) is baby aspirin twice a day, Vitamin D, and Senecot.

I'd like to add that one thing that has really helped me adjust to sleeping on my back is having a deep squishy soft bed to sink deeply into--with pillows for legs, neck and head, so you are curled ever ever so slightly. Normal beds don't allow this. Our bed has a firm mattress, and I can't imagine getting a wink of sleep there. In my case, my bed is the living room sofa. I went to the sofa--on a whim-- directly after I got home from the hospital, and realized at once it was perfect. On the sofa I use four pillows at this stage. Plus I have a fan blowing on me, cooling in this hot weather, and often an ice pack. I almost prefer sleeping on my back now, and there is an added cosmetic bonus--no longer do I wake up in the morning with a puffy swollen face and eyes (orbital edema) which I think was caused by my face buried deep in pillows, plus heat. Several people have told me in the past few days that I look great, years younger. I can see the difference myself.
 
Last edited:
I was really interested in your comments @An54. I'm worried about getting to the end of the sleeping pills - I only got a 2 week supply to get me over my husband being ill - but I was only getting 4 or 5 hours sleep beforehand, (and 2 when he was taken ill) due to the back sleeping - with the pills I'm getting more like 7 and being on my back doesn't bother me. To be honest, it's not only the being on my back that is going to keep me awake, but my racing mind. I'm only on blood thinners now, but found myself looking at my leftover codeine, which would be a drastic way of getting sleep, but they certainly used to make me feel quite groggy (don't worry, @Layla, I'm not going to self medicate!), but I've tried the sleep tapes, etc., and just end up lying in bed with my stomach all knotted and my brain whirring - not conducive to a good night's sleep. Any suggestions, fellow hippies?! I'm never a good sleeper, so any methods to overcome insomnia would be very welcome.

Like you, though, people have been telling me how well I look, despite all the stresses and strains, and I was wondering if sleeping on my back had helped; I remember reading an article some time ago that said silk pillows and back sleeping helped prevent wrinkles. Maybe I'd better start looking for silk pillows!!
 
Gravol is what we call Dramamine in the US I am guessing.
Don't know that it is necessarily bad for you, An54..as you aren't taking other medication, although the list of possible drugs that have interactions with it is very long.
They include Tramadol, other pain meds, blood thinners, antihistamines, etc.
I wish I had better recommendations for sleeping as I didn't sleep all night for many months...attribute most to the back sleeping but don't know if some could have been circadian rhythm just disrupted as I couldn't sleep all night due to the pain.
I did use some of my pain meds only at night after a while..
Hope you get it sorted Cassidy.
Just make sure you check out what you take with any other meds you take.
 
Hi @Cassidy
No doubt the back sleeping may make us look better.
More than that, I believe the pain we suffered was reflected in our facial expressions
before our diseased joint was replaced. THR = instant facelift, lol.

I wish I had ideas to help you sleep, Cassidy.
Prayers you can begin to sleep, peacefully and restoratively.
I hope today is a good one!

Sorry for derailing your thread @Bionic
Seriously, I forget whose thread I'm on sometimes and get wrapped up in these conversations. I hope you're doing well.
Wishing you a great week way over in Wales :wave:
 
Last edited:
No problems about derailing my thread Layla. We are all in the same boat, or should that be train if we are talking about derailing :-)

Cassidy, I have started using the body pillow. It's early days for it I think but I am careful and only turn on my side a little bit. Just enough to make a change. It has meant that I am sleeping just a bit better. I was tempted to get some sleeping tablets but don't reaally want to and now that I am sleeping a bit better I think I will persevere.

Hi to triplet AN54. I see you are in BC. We were going to holiday there next year for my 65th but instead I have spent the money on my hip op as I didn't want to wait on the NHS. I guess I had better start saving again. People have told me I am looking better too but I am with Layla on this one. I think it's more to do with absence of the hip pain. A friend said I had lost my spark before the op because the pain was dragging me down.

Had a little walk out today and we ended up in the pub chatting to some lovely people.

Have a good week everyone
 
I think sleeping on my side just a bit would probably help, so I might give it a try. Hubby seemed a bit better today, and I think getting him home might help my sleeping - I just need some normality in life!

You're possibly all right about the cessation of post op pain. Think how good we'll look when we're sleeping too!!
 
Its 4 weeks on Friday since my op. Had my first physio today and he was very pleased. I had been told, only walking, but now he has told me to do a few gentle exercises from a booklet he has given me. Going to have a read tonight and start tomorrow.
I spoke to him about my foot turning inwards and he has suggested that each time I put that foot forward I clench my buttocks at the same time to strengthen the muscles.
I asked about swimming and he said I can swim when the wound has completely healed because public swimming pools are a haven for germs.
He also told me not to take chances with anything saying,"this hip is an investment in your future, don't be impatient, do what you are supposed to do and then it will give you years ahead of you"
 
Hi @Bionic
Four weeks already on Friday. Time sure flies.
I'm happy to read you're doing well. Please don't push yourself in PT.
If anything hurts, STOP. Keep in mind the Big Tip below -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I hope you have a great rest of the week!
 
He also told me not to take chances with anything saying,"this hip is an investment in your future, don't be impatient, do what you are supposed to do and then it will give you years ahead of you"
I like that guy!:yes:
 
4 and a bit weeks after my surgery and today I got out of bed as if everything was normal. No pain, no crutches, no meds, and walked the length of the room almost without a limp. For a brief moment I had forgotten I had the surgery. This must mean I am on the mend yes?
I think as the day wears on and I get more tired I will be back to a crutch, but hey, I can see the horizon.
 
:yes!:
No pain, no crutches, no meds, and walked the length of the room almost without a limp.

:happydance::dancy::happydance:
Happy one month hipversary!
Better and better...
Hope your day is Sweet!
 
:giggle:

:mcoffee: on second cup of Joe.
Yes, I've turned into an old lady only at night. I go to bed by 9 pm but in up before five. I have a super active job so by the time I get home and get some dinner...I'm done !
I like to listen to the birds wake up and check on my Bonesmart friends before the world wakes up and distracts me.
Glad you are doing well..don't be getting too frisky now and overdoing things.:nah:
Want you well!
 
Could someone add me to the July sparklers group please
 
Hi everyone, interesting to read all this. Thankfully as I write I am painfree. Still on codeine and paracetamol and morphine at night. I sleep for 6-7 hours on my back but in stages. When I do wake up to go to the loo I also follow with about 5-10 minutes of walking and exercise. Then fresh ice pack and back to sleep. First night home from the recovery place so all a bit strange but good too. I love my new memory foam mattress and bed. Catching up and falling asleep to Netflix.
Best wishes for a happy recovery to all.
 
Saw the OS this afternoon and he is very pleased with me. Said I can take my TEDS off yipee.... but can't drive yet. He is sticking to the 6 week rule so I have a week and a bit to go. Even then he said he wants me to go to a deserted place with my husband (no, dont get any funny ideas its not that interesting) and make sure I can do an emergency stop before I do anything else.
Oh well, I've waited this long whats another week.
 
Great news on the TEDS! I luckily didn't have to wear them.

Sorry you have to wait a bit longer to drive. Having that freedom to drive really boosted my overall confidence. I was told at 2 Wk post op I could drive if I felt safe. I personally waited to 4 weeks (2 days early) mark. I drove more than I should have the first day, so I recommend when you do drive, build up slowly to distance.

Keep it slow and steady, your guy is right, this is an investment!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom