TKR Finally found a new surgeon

I firmly believe if you just use your knee normally, the ROM will increase. Some of us had more work done inside the knee and it took longer to snap back because more healing was needed. Don't worry, Gary, just go with your knee and listen to it.
 
Thank you,
I don’t mean to be a bother, just want to stay connected with you guys.:thumb:
 
Once your knee has healed a bit more (you’ll know when because it will be pain=free and working beautifully) you can challenge it a bit to see how your ROM is doing: higher step ups, a few lunges, bicycling. Since stopping PT about four months ago, I have gained flexion and my extension is normal in both knees. It really does continue to get better for a long time!
 
How have your exercises been going? I know I told you my experience with doing too much and being constantly sore and painful all the time with my first knee. My second knee, I have done so much less of that and overall the pain level was much less also. Are you still doing a fair amount of all of those things you listed previously? Or have you cut down and are feeling better now?
 
@kayow11, I stoped the PT and the extra exercises, I stay pretty active ( walking a lot) and my pain level(other than the ZINGERS:tantrum::hairpulling:) has improved so very much. The only thing I “was” worried about was my ROM, Now, ever sense I I have all the support here, I’m not so worried about it any longer, I just never wanted to do nothing and wind up with a stiff Knee the rest of my life, and I will never agree to going in the hospital and having them “manipulate”my knee :yikes::shocked::scare:
 
Last edited:
@Mr Gary
Hello. I just had a MUA 3 weeks ago and I was really afraid and concerned about it too. Honestly, the procedure was quick and I didn't have a lot of pain afterwards. What pain I did have was managed with my normal pain meds.

The good is it did break the scar tissue /adhesion and I gained some ROM. However, something I had before the MUA that I was told by the Dr was also scar tissue 'came back' after the MUA. Now I am dealing with it again. Also, my swelling increased from the MUA.

Overall, do I regret having it, no I do not. I just regret the Dr having me think the MUA was the cure all.

I just wanted to give you my 'recent' experience. I am not suggesting you go and get a MUA because only you know your body/mobility.

Good luck if you decide to take this path.
 
@MyTest
I will be 12 weeks this Wednesday, seems like the more I do with my leg / Knee, the more it swells and the more it pains me, I “will not”let them manipulate my Knee because of the swelling and stiffness coming back.
My ROM is still about 90 degrees, if I force my knee /PT my knee hurts and swells like crazy, I think I am going to just stay as active as I can and let Mother Nature take her course, I will be 66 in December and I also have a really bad back, I am just tired of being in pain “ALL” the time.
Thank you so much for your feedback, I need all I can get.
 
I’m at 13 weeks now and getting better every day, still have the Zingers, and can’t stand more than about 25-30 min without setting down for a little while, my ROM is still not more than about 90 degrees, but sense I stopped the PT the pain is so, so much better, not going to worry about the ROM (per the people on the forum) think it will come back in time, I also can’t kneel down on my Knee, but I just kneel on the other Knee.
Well I was just checking in.
 
Sounds like you are coming along well and experiencing things that are par for the course.

Kneeling may not happen in the future, I think some people can and some can’t. I haven’t even tried and don’t care if I can’t.

Hopefully someone will post Bert’s ROM progression for you. It was quite slow but he ended up with 140, so I think that will encourage you! I would post it for you but I don’t know how to copy and paste on my phone.
 
For kneeling, first check with your OS as to whether kneeling is good with your implant. Mine told me I could kneel if I wanted to, with the caveat that many people just dislike kneeling after TKR. Well, I want to kneel, so I tested it every so often, just to see if I could. No good at two months (not at all!). No good at three months, or four months, or five. But right around six months I successfully kneeled on my bed. It was... well, it felt a little odd, and I was tentative about staying that way for long, but it worked. I’m not eager to try the floor.

So if your OS gives you the go, test it here and there until your knee is okay with kneeling. You may never like it, though.

Here’s Bert’s wonderful post about his ROM progression.

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1. Stop going to PT - all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM
2. Don't worry about your ROM
3. Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees
I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months!
Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.​
 
@SusieShoes
Wow thank you so much for that information, I guess then I’m not doing to bad.:flwrysmile:
 
@MyTest
I am doing well, and improving every day, had myTKR August 9th 2017 and I mowed my yard for the first time yesterday :happydance::spin::dancy::wowspring:had to rest quite a while after but I was so happy I was able to do my own yard work. My wife said “ok now it’s time to get back to it” in other words she thinks I’m completely healed. The “ZINGERS” haven’t stoped yet, and after doing my yard work yesterday they came a lot.
 
Back
Top Bottom