TKR Finally found a new surgeon

Mr. Gary, it's early in your recovery and I'm pretty sure eventually you will see the light on activity level. Some of us struggle with that more than others. I'll whisper a prayer as I welcome you to the ODIC (Over Doing It Club). :angel:
 
I just prayed for you! It is so hard to settle down when you're used to doing things yourself. As you do you ADL, you are working your knee. That's all you need to do. As you find what you're doing doesn't hurt your knee, then you can add another task to it. But, just one thing, and then see how your knee reacts the next couple of days. I found that mine sometimes didn't react until the 2nd day after my new activity. The knee has to be in control so it will heal well and quicker.
 
@sistersinhim
How long before you had over 90 degrees ROM ?
I am at 10weeks and only have maybe just a Little bit more that 90 degrees, I’m walking pretty good but still have a lot of stiffness.:chinstroke:
 
@Mr Gary, I didn't take PT, so I had to try and measure my ROM myself with a giometer from Amazon. At 2 months I was around 100/8. But, the extension was really slow to finally get flat. I never really worried about the numbers, just what I could do. I had to go way back on my thread to find where I had finally logged my ROM. I'm only about 110-120 now. Not great, but don't give a hoot, cause I can do everything I want and need to do!

Please relax and try not to worry so much about those numbers. As long as you are happy with your function, then it's a winner for you!
 
Last edited:
@Mr Gary Sorry about your pain. I hope you are doing better now. I am glad to hear you are getting out and walking with your neighbor. It helps to get out and walk. Hope your recovery goes smoothly for you.
 
@sistersinhim
Thank you for your support, I feel I’m coming along pretty good, just worry about falling behind from where I should be. I’m just going to take one day at a time.:prayer:
 
One day at the time, one step at the time, and lots of prayer gets us all through this journey!
 
It's a cutting part way through of the tendon on the inside of the knee to lengthen it. This helps the knee to 'track' better. I've had two lateral, (the outside tendon), releases on both knees through the years. This was my first medial one. I assume this is why I still have some pain with certain movements of my new knee.
 
Mr. Gary, Sistersinhim is so very correct when she says it's about whether you can do what you want to do. It's interesting to know the numbers, but how your leg performs and feels is the important measure. My ROM is excellent - I left the hospital at 110/0 the day after I had surgery - but I have also had pain and muscular weakness that I need to keep dealing with. So - you say you coming along pretty well at 10 weeks - that's a big hooray/knee-rah! Rest and ice when it hurts - do what you're comfortable doing. You're going to get there!
 
I feel I’m coming along pretty good, just worry about falling behind from where I should be. I’m just going to take one day at a time.
There is no "should be" in this recovery. Your knee is healing at its own pace.

Don't let anyone worry you about deadlines or windows of opportunity, because they don't exist:
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Remember that this is a year-long recovery, so you have plenty of time. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
 
@Celle
Thank you so much, I have been told “ you need to be at a certain point by a certain time” and that is the thing that had me worried, I was worried because I was told that if I wasn’t at a certain ROM by a certain point that I would have to go back in the hospital and be put to sleep and then the Dr would manipulate my Knee, in other words bend it as far as it would go, “I don’t want that to happen” I don’t want to start over in the level of pain, my pain is no where near what it was, I still get the “zingers”. I am at 11 weeks as of today and I can bend my knee at about 95 degrees, and I am walking pretty good, just can’t walk or stand for more than about 20 minutes before I have to rest. :sleep:
 
That all sounds pretty normal to me, Mr Gary.

Once your knee bends to 90 degrees or over, very few surgeons will even think about a manipulation, so don't worry about that.

Even if your surgeon should suggest a manipulation, remember that it is your knee and you have the right to say what will happen to it. You can ask for more time, to let your knee progress at its own pace. Nothing can be done without your consent.
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
I was worried because I was told that if I wasn’t at a certain ROM by a certain point that I would have to go back in the hospital and be put to sleep and then the Dr would manipulate my Knee, in other words bend it as far as it would go
This is such baloney. What about those of us who have been in an immobilizer for 6 to 8 weeks? All that time in the immobilizer allowed our knees to heal. After getting out, we were able to bend out knees. They is no time limit on increasing ROM. Here's some information again about that:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/myth-busting-window-of-opportunity-in-tkr.6895/
 
Oh Bonesmart, what would we do without you? I feel so sorry for those who don’t find you, and for those who refuse to listen to us who have.

I’ve tried to tell people about the Bonesmart way but some just insist you must do the PT and exercises.
 
Back
Top Bottom