THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there Graham,

I am SO HAPPY you posted! I was wondering how you were getting on and it sounds splendidly! That is so amazing that you could do two miles of walking. It is so amazing that you are doign this without a cane and are almost painless. WOW!

You keep going, my friend, I can see your love of life and the twinkle in your eye even from as far away as here (Asia)!

Hugs,
Elle
 
Week 15.....A quick update

After 15 weeks of hanging around the house and being a nuisance to my wife, the time had to come when my failures to win the Lottery have culminated in being forced to return to work.

Actually, I feel quite lucky to have had all this time off - my surgeon originally said I was to go back in six weeks, but my local doctor extended that to a total of three months and two weeks - which is just long enough to get extremely used to sitting around at home, watching telly and going for long walks with my shiny new hip. To be honest, I've done so much walking, I think I may have to go back and make sure I haven't worn it out.

I am on 'phased return' to work, that is three weeks part time, six weeks no long distance driving and two months no heavy lifting - which should more-or-less take me up until Christmas time - which is more than I anticipated.

So life is fairly good (apart from having to go back to work!), I am gaining more movement every day and I can walk for hours without sitting down with the aches, although driving a long distance is uncomfortable - which is the only real problem I have right now.
 
Eee Graham, if we had told you earlier that you would be writing such a fab update now you wouldn't have believed us. It is really brilliant to hear how well you are doing. I am truly happy for you that thing have worked out so well. Sorry to hear that flippin lottery win didn't materialise but be asssured in the knowledge that you are not alone in that seemingly hopeless dream.lol

Hope your return to work goes well

Take it easy

Ann
 
Four months today....

The only significant change from last time is my continuing gradual return to work. It's nice to be able to come home early and not get too caught up in things as I try to ease myself back into normality although my doctor has told be no long-distance driving for at least until Christmas - which suits me to the ground.

As for my hip - I don't even know I had it done. I have read the comments that it takes a year before you get to that stage, but I feel I'm 95% there already. The only time I feel it is when I lay on my side and I can feel it and when I dress myself by putting on a sock on my good side, whilst standing on my op side. That feels a bit weird. Its not painful or uncomfortable, its just feels 'there' (hard to actually describe it).

I am walking further and further and was on my feet eight hours straight and walked a good number of miles, something have not done for years. I guess my next goal in this is to lose a bit of weight I gained from slobbing around the house for three months. :)

I can't really add more than that. Its all getting better every day.
 
Well, what a lovely update Graham!! You have come around 180 degrees since some of your first posts when you'd returned home after the surgery, what a relief :thumb:

Very good that you are having a phased return to work and it's going ok for you so far. Sounds like your hip is doing well with the walking and being on your feet for 8 hours, that's amazing!!

Do take care and check in periodically so we know how well you are doing.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Five months today (week 22)...

Not a great deal I can add since last time. I am off my long distance driving restrictions, but I still have my heavy lifting restrictions in place - which is purely a work thing and the last vestiges of my operation all them months ago. (I CAN'T BELIEVE where the time has went. There's a piece of my brain which thinks I had my THR only a month ago!) That said, the horrors I endured getting it done seem a lifetime away.

There hasn't really been any change in the last month. Healing continues, but it feels like I never had anything done at all. I have full range of movement, except that when I get out of my car, I have to get out feet together, or it seems to 'pull' a bit and is uncomfortable.

I guess the worst thing I have at the moment, is the disappointment of not being able to have a holiday in Florida this year. I usually go in the first two weeks in December where the place is all 'Christmas-ed' up and the crowds aren't too bad. Last time, I was crippled over in pain with arthritis and was keen to go back and try out my new hip. But unfortunately, its not going to happen - which is something I have been looking forward to when I went to get done back in June. It seems I now have martial issues to contend with.

Onwards and upwards, I guess...
 
Hi Graham, great to hear from you again. So glad things are healing well. Sorry about your marital issues - always challenging. But I am sure there will be other holidays - this time pain free! Please keep in touch!
 
Hi Graham, wonderful to hear from you.. So pleased that life is taking over and you are enjoying your 5 month old hip.. :)
 
Wow, Graham, what a fantastic outcome you have had after such a rough start. Thank you for the update. I just read all your posts in this thread.

1. As a retired nurse, I am especially appalled at your bad hospital experience. That's just a shame. My experience with my THR was excellent, and I took time to give them feedback. Believe me, they need to know both positive and negative feedback, so they can give credit where it's due and correct problems that they might otherwise not be aware of.

2. I'm sorry you're missing your December Florida trip this year---hopefully next year will be another story. I volunteer at one of our state parks near Orlando, and British visitors always seem to be delightful, and so interested in our rivers and wildlife.

3. It was helpful to me to read your posts; I commend your candor, telling it "like it is." Even though I've had a very easy time (8 weeks post-op now) I've had some days where I thought "is it really going to get better?" You are proof positive that it does, indeed, and very quickly.

4. So I would encourage you to check back in with Bone Smart---oh, once a month, maybe?---because you will be doing future hippies a great service.
:thankyou:
 
Hi Graham,
Nice to hear from you and know that you are doing well!! Glad that the THR is becoming a distant memory.

Maybe that pulling that you describe when you get out of the car is related to a tight adductor muscle? Here are two links from the library that describe adductor stretches.

Adductor/groin pain exercises

Adductors - strains and stretches

Sorry to hear about the missed vacation, but all that festive Florida Christmas-stuff will be there next year and maybe you will too!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Many, many thanks for all the comments. As I have said before, you have all helped me out a great deal and without you, I would have probably wimped out and still be walking around in increasing pain.
 
Wow, Graham, what a fantastic outcome you have had after such a rough start. Thank you for the update. I just read all your posts in this thread.
1. As a retired nurse, I am especially appalled at your bad hospital experience. That's just a shame. My experience with my THR was excellent, and I took time to give them feedback. Believe me, they need to know both positive and negative feedback, so they can give credit where it's due and correct problems that they might otherwise not be aware of.

I did write a part of my visit to the 'chamber of horrors' at https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/choosing-anesthesia-type-your-experience.13240/page-5#post-355490 which covers the worst of it.

Of course, the worst bit was, they were FULLY aware of my desires and my fears weeks beforehand. I wrote to them saying how nervous I was, I even phoned them a couple of days beforehand. I was lied to about "Going to be taken care of" and "We don't like to see anyone anxious, we can help you with that" and "Our Anaethetist is very understanding and accommodating". On the day of the op, they even read my own comments back to me in the hospital. Even that Anaethetist-from-hell read back my own comments....and then promptly ignored me and I was "forced" into something I didn't want and had spent years in pain rather than face having a spinal.

It wasn't a case of correcting problems they were not aware of, it was more a case of "couldn't care less" with a dose of second-hand negligence and apathy which has left me truamtised and scarred even now.

2. I'm sorry you're missing your December Florida trip this year---hopefully next year will be another story. I volunteer at one of our state parks near Orlando, and British visitors always seem to be delightful, and so interested in our rivers and wildlife.

Things like this happens, I guess. Always another time, maybe.

3. It was helpful to me to read your posts; I commend your candor, telling it "like it is." Even though I've had a very easy time (8 weeks post-op now) I've had some days where I thought "is it really going to get better?" You are proof positive that it does, indeed, and very quickly.

Thanks for that. I would have liked to have been in the position to say to other pre-hippies what a pleasant experience I had with my op, but that would be lying as it was a total nightmare (even now), which means I'm uncomfortable in giving positive pre-op advice and I don't want to put people off, if I can help it.

4. So I would encourage you to check back in with Bone Smart---oh, once a month, maybe?---because you will be doing future hippies a great service.

I have said I will try to add something on a monthly basis and/or something happens. But it has been relatively uneventful these last few months as everything slowly heals. I am always checking BS daily to see if I can contribute something.

:)
 
Great to see you post again Graham, every member contributes, because we are all traveling the recovery journey :)
 
Six months today (week 26)

The last and final restriction my doc gave me was finally lifted today. I had asked for a limit on the amount of heavy lifting for work which could have put me in a situation trying to manoeuvre large gas cylinders by myself. Although I have tried it a few times accompanied, I now feel confident about my own abilities six months post op.

That said, I did have a little minor incident. The heating system in my home needed some urgent maintenance and I was on my hands and knees messing around with water valves etc, to try and coax it all into life to cope with a snap of cold weather we have been having. It wasn't a big job, but the next day, every muscle around my new hip decided to lock up and freeze and I had real difficulty walking and driving for about a week afterwards. I had to get the wife to rub in ointment until it all loosened up, but driving distances and getting in and out of a car was extremely painful.

So right now, I've finished work for the year. I've been routing around in the attic for a couple of days trying to sort out Christmas decorations - as my attic is very small and you cannot stand upright in - and I remembered how painful it was bent double with a bad hip. This year, pain free. Isn't life great??

So I guess it's time to wish all the Happy Hipsters all the best for the Season. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, have a safe and Happy Christmas.


:merrychr:
 
Hello Graham, how wonderful to get an update from you and such positive news.

Sorry about your little event, but I often write that we don't know what our boundaries are until we test them :)

Have a wonderful Christmas and may 2013 be a happily and healthy one for you.
 
:xmasdance:Thanks for posting, Graham! So glad you are doing so very well.:santaclap:
 
Seven Months Today......

...and Christmas came and went as if it never happened. For me, it nearly didn't. Flu came to our house and spent most of the holidays full of germs and unable to do anything we would usually do at this time.

A slight change in my circumstances means there is a chance of my long-awaited trip to Florida is on the cards. Nothing definite as yet, but it may happen. I mention this, because last time a couple of years ago, I was in agony with arthritis which put a serious crimp on the whole trip and looking forward to enjoying myself without grinding ache I had before my THR.

As for my hip, I would have to say there's been a bit of a regression here. Its started to ache a little, the same type of pain I had before I got done. It's very low level, but its there and I've started to notice it. It's not debilitating in any way, but it feels like the joint is grinding together a bit (It's hard to describe it accurately). I am going to keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. It may be just the muscles around it acting up with the weather, or may have twisted it a bit, but we shall see. I would hate to knock on my Doc's door with something which may be nothing.

Onwards and upwards....:)



 
Do come to Florida. The weather is wonderful. Where in Florida are you planning to go?
 
Hi Graham. Wish I could hop a plane and head to DW right now myself. It's so cold here...I'd love some warm balmy weather. Not to mention the fun. I'm still planning on it in the fall, with my oldest granddaughter.

Have you been doing anything at work or for recreation that could have strained something? Aches and pains do come and go, so just pull back for a little while and see if resting puts it at ease. I'm finding for me that with the cold weather and icy ground, I'm not getting nearly enough walking, and that causes a whole lot more stiffness and ache.

Let us know if it doesn't abate. I'm sure Jo will have some thoughts on it.

Sharon
 
Do come to Florida. The weather is wonderful. Where in Florida are you planning to go?

Usually around the Orlando area, maybe Miami or Tampa. One of my biggest concerns when I was told I had to have THR was the fear I could never again bend 90 Degrees and I would forever be banished from rollercoasters. :boohoo:

Turns out, that's not the case and I'm eager to try it out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom