THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last point in your last paragraph is probably a very good "lesson learned" for all of us and potential newcomers. We focus on finding a good/the best OS, but maybe not enough effort on the facility and other medical support, which definitely is important.

Good luck, and thanks,
Jim

Agreed. The problem is that in my case, my THR was done privately although funded by the our NHS health system in the UK. So I assumed that as it's a private hospital, I could expect the very best in terms of care from admission to final discharge (I'm discounting my surgeon who did a top-notch job). The hospital itself had many reviews on quality of care etc, so I made the mistake of counting myself lucky of finding myself admitted there. That's where it all started to go wrong for me and I guess I learned my lesson the hard way. To be honest, when I finished my physio earlier today, I couldn't get away from that place quick enough. One of the very few good things which came out of it was I met others who had been through the mill as I had and we all had - more or less - similar experiences, which meant we became friends and have all promised to maintain contact with each other.
 
Great to see that life has improved Graham (just the sleep issue, but that will work out eventually)..

Do pop by and update us occasionally even if it is to tell us an amazing success story :)
 
Hi,

Personally, I think he (Graham) *should* "pop by" :). Having read through most posts here, it seems that he has some (unfortunately, sometimes hard-won) experiences and insights that would be valuable to others, including future and potential "hippies".

Just my opinion though...

Jim
 
Oh... such "finality" in your post.

You and I have had very similar hospital situations. I can't imagine going through this again - although my OA is in my left side, but my situation had nothing to do with my OS, just the hospital staff. How does a patient control that - especially when you are UNDER? :) I had no idea RNs would be used that were not part of Blue Cross.... I will fight this till the end - due to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Please don't let go of Bonesmart. I, personally, have found this site to be trustworthy, encouraging, intellectually informative, and compassionate. And, I LIKE talking and reading about others who have had the same or similar operation!

Well, regardless, what a story you have shared. Thank you.

Best,

Alicia
 
Not neccessarily leave. I would like to take a 'back seat' and if I can throw in a few opinions/advice to any new pre-hippies, then I would like to. This forum's too nice to completely switch off from and has helped me no-end.

Please do stop by and add your input for other new hippies. Somehow hearing from others who have gone before means much more. Glad we could be here for you Graham.
 
My input here is ALWAYS research your surgeon FIRST and talk to his/her other patients to find out the low down! THEN check out the hospital facilities to ensure you will be looked after well once surgery is over....here in the UK it is what we call a postcode lottery and I was not willing to put myself into this arena at all....... so researched surgeons first and when I was happy made a private appt with him and then moved onto the NHS with him and his approval and the rest is history..... I had a fantastic surgeon and have recommended him to many since and will use him again if needs be.
 
My input here is ALWAYS research your surgeon FIRST and talk to his/her other patients to find out the low down! THEN check out the hospital facilities to ensure you will be looked after well once surgery is over....here in the UK it is what we call a postcode lottery and I was not willing to put myself into this arena at all....... so researched surgeons first and when I was happy made a private appt with him and then moved onto the NHS with him and his approval and the rest is history..... I had a fantastic surgeon and have recommended him to many since and will use him again if needs be.

I had a great surgeon and he did a fantastic job - no arguements there. I reseached the hospital and read - and believed - all the glowing reviews. I had absolutly no reason to doubt the place. The care I had from day 3 which was when I was put in my own room, to day 5 which was when I was discharged, was good. It was like being in a flashy hotel. Food was reasonably good. Newspapers delivered to room, large menu to chose from, cable TV, private en-suite bathroom, free shampoo and stuff...

The nightmares began on admission through to when I was moved from High Dependancy Unit to my own room - at the end of Day 2. It was the worst time of my life which I would not care to repeat and would forever refuse any treatement if it involved going back there. :cry:

I wouldn't treat a dog the way I was treated!
 
Two months today....

(I couldn't resist continuing the ongoing saga...)

Movement is getting far better and my stamina is increasing slowly every day. I am sleeping better than I have been - although it is occasionally broken in the small hours. I have had a couple of full night's worth, which has made me feel a lot better. As I'm eight weeks out, I have abandoned my 'Iron Throne' and can finally relax on my favourite sofa and can happily doze in front of the telly.

I am mostly walking unaided, except when I tire then its time for my trusty walking stick to make an appearance. It's still uncomfortable to lay on my op side, but I seem to be comfortable to be able to sleep in a variety of positions without discomfort which I couldn't do otherwise (probably a confidence issue more than anything). Absolutely no pain, just a tired ache if I sit still too long.

I have also started to dress myself without aids, namely that useless 'sock appliance' thing I bought from a supermarket which does more to tear my socks than help putting them on and have dispensed with my handy grab tool. I want to leave everything for maybe a week or two, then arrange to have my 'Iron Throne' and 'potty-seat' collected and returned to my health authority. Maybe donate my crutches to Red Cross or someone.

So it's basically upwards and onwards....

:egypdance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
Graham! Great report---and you didn't think you'd ever get to this point!!!! Ain't it grand! Don't you just love it! And I am so happy for you.
 
Fantastic Graham... And it just gets better and better from here on :)
 
Three months today...

Just thought I would add a little to the continuing saga of my THR adventures.

It's hard to believe just where the time has gone! I've now had this hip for three months, and to be honest, I'm growing to love it. I'm walking dozens of times further than I could pre-THR and my distance is only hampered by my own fitness. Although I have found that I do have a limit with the time on my feet, then it starts to give a low-level ache and I have to rest for a bit. But it's slowly improving and getting better. I have never been a super-fit person and being bent over with arthritis has knocked my general fitness right down, but now I can work on it with time. I am going to have a exercise bike delivered later on to help get my fitness up a bit (and lose a few pounds). I would say that I have around 80-90% range of movement than before. A lot of the time, I forget I had it done and sometimes I twist or move awkwardly and I get a sudden reminder. Putting on socks is possible, but that defines my limit of movement at the moment.

I have been using a walking stick for over a year and it's very strange to find myself not needing one and people often ask me where it is.

My sleep patterns are fully restored as it was only until Week 9 until I could sleep comfortably on my op side. Driving is ok, but getting out the car with my op side the same side as my door can make the joint pull a bit if I'm not careful, so I have to get out with both feet together. Still a bit of healing to be done there, I guess. I am struggling with long distances as my car seat presses my wound and I get stiff sitting in one position for a time.

I am still off work (Yay!) and treating my time off as a very long extended holiday and doing the things I couldn't do before. I have a house that needs decorating and some serious DIY projects which need doing, but these I'm saving for a few weeks time when my movement increases a little.

I'm back to my doc a week tomorrow and there to talk about returning to work - although I don't think he would be good enough to sign me off for another three months - as I'm getting rather used to this leisurely lifestyle. So unless the Lottery comes my way, I'm scheduled back to work two weeks today, possibly on reduced hours/activities. My biggest concern here is the hours I would spend driving.

What I would like the doctor to prescribe is a holiday to Florida and give my THR a real workout (last time was a painful crippling experience) and see how my hip copes with the hot weather, theme parks, food, rollercoasters and walking, purely in the name of recuperation and recovery and to make sure everything is bedded in and working perfectly. I have a slight suspicion he may not agree with this and I'll have to resort to saving some money and doing this myself. Hopefully I would like this to happen maybe Christmas time, with a bit of luck.

So I guess this is it. Everything is good, no major problems with recovery. I am walking normally without any limp or discomfort for the first time in many years. I still have thoughts about what happened at my op and that isn't going to go away which has left me with one scar on my leg and another in my head. But I'm trying to look forward and not back. I'm done and grateful that the THR has been a perfect textbook job.

Finally, A big thanks to everyone who helped me get through it all and took time to respond. It was a big help and I'm not sure how things would have worked out if you hadn't been here for me. I'm not sure I would have even have had it done.
 
Good luck with your GP appointment Graham. If he prescribes that Florida get away please send me his details. I want one too!

Sounds like things are going great. Just look how far you have come. From terrified and not being able to schedule your op until done and dusted. Fantastic - I am so happy for you.

Please don't forget us. Stop by and update one in awhile. You will always be a part of our family here!
 
This is all wonderful, Graham. In the early days of your recovery, I worried for you quite a bit. But once again, the value of this surgery wins out, and you are in a whole new place. Say hi to Minnie and Micky for me, and tell them I'll be by to visit about a year from now, bringing my granddaughter. :)

Sharon
 
Great update Graham... Life has and is returning to normal - fantastic.

Do come back and update us occasionally, we love to hear from members who are getting on with life :)
 
I'm delighted for you too, Graham, but (there's always a 'but' isn't there?) do remember that even 3 months is still early days and healing/recovery goes on for many months more yet. It can be a year before you will be blessed with that "forgotten hip" and the sudden realisation one lunchtime that your hip was NOT the first thing you thought about that morning! THAT's a 'forgotten hip'!
 
Hey Graham, it's fab to hear you are feeling so good now, wonderful news. Onwards and upwards all the way now :thumb:

Hope you manage to get on that holiday to Florida even if you do have to pay for it yourself :)

Take care

Ann
 
I'm delighted for you too, Graham, but (there's always a 'but' isn't there?) do remember that even 3 months is still early days and healing/recovery goes on for many months more yet. It can be a year before you will be blessed with that "forgotten hip" and the sudden realisation one lunchtime that your hip was NOT the first thing you thought about that morning! THAT's a 'forgotten hip'!


Absolutely right, of course. I was told it would be a year before everything gets to that point. But today, I walked two miles with my new hip and didn't feel anything (apart from exhustion :) ) and 99.9% of the time, it's hard to remember I had it done at all. Occasionally it may ache a little, but its not very often and I am surprised how little I know its there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom