THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received today a letter from Sarasota Memorial Hospital from their "Risk Management" department, saying they have received my letter.

I think it is totally (in my mind) correct to let these people/facilities know what happens in our stays at their hospitals and/or rehabs. Whether it changes, that is another thing... but at least, a letter is documented.... it might seem to be too much work for some people, but, I know, if the situation were reversed, and I were the medical person treating a patient... I would be MUCH different than the professionals I had treating me.

Sounds like you are doing much better.

Make your own decisions. Your gut will let you know...

Best.
 
Hi Graham, if I was in your situation I sure would write that letter. Private or NHS - you should receive the right treatment.

Please let us know how your appointment goes!
 
Thanks again...the support here is wonderful.

Day 44 (Week 6)

Just got back from my penultimate physiotherapy class...all looks good and progressing well. Loads more excercises to do, but I am getting out and walking about every day. The wound is still feeling a bit tender and feels slightly swollen, but assured this is OK. I am seeing my surgeon on Monday and I'm sure he will check it out to make sure all is well. It's just uncomfortable to sleep on and sit on for a time. I am walking unaided around the house and short distances outside, but I still need my one crutch after a time, especially when I tire.

My appointment with relief GP went better than expected. We sat and had a chat about how I was feeling and progressing and signed me off work for another two months. I am expected to see my own GP at the end of that and then chat about returning to work. (By that time, I'll be bouncing off the walls I expect) That was more than I expected as I am in no fit state to be of use to anyone at the moment. As a sideline to that, I have a family crisis to deal with and I can concentrate on that without work worries. I don't even want to drive my car as I am averaging three to four hours sleep and I'll end up buried in a tree somewhere still asleep at the wheel.

I have decided if I am going to tell that hospital a few 'home truths', I'm going to do it at my last physio class next week. I need to sit down and think about what to say and read through my journel I kept at the time. I don't want to deal with it right now.
 
Well, I'm envious of you (and all others on forum who are employed by companies) and your extended time off. Good for you. And, with a family crisis at the same time.... sounds like you will need the time.

Re: "home truths"; I got a reply from Sarasota Memorial Hospital's Risk Management Department (just saying they have received my letter); nothing yet from Rehab Facility. I don't know if "telling" helps or hinders. I just feel it needs to be said. In my world, a client would approach me if they weren't pleased with my work..... that's part of my job... the biggest.... customer service.

Take care and take it easy. I hope you can get some sleep (still struggling with that myself).

Alicia
 
Whew! So glad you got more time off Graham. Well done! More rest and recovery.
 
Fantastic that you have the additional time off Graham, your job sounded demanding... Hopefully your sleep pattern and length should improve by then.. No way do we want your wrapped around a tree - wise move not to drive to often, me thinks :)
 
Day 47 (Week 6)

Discharge!

Had my six-week checkup with my surgeon, had a few movement tests and have now been discharged from his books, although I have one final physio session this Friday. I still have a few restrictions in place - namely no baths for another six weeks due to extreme bending when getting out, but at least I am free to drive again, or at least I have to try driving and if I can brake safely, then I have my car back. (Just when I was getting used to being chauffeured around :))

He went through all my aches and pains and everything is normal and it should all subside with time. If something does go wrong, I have to have a formal referral with my GP. Unfortunatly, I am still struggling with sleep for the past seven weeks (thats six weeks post op and one week pre op worrying about it) and there was nothing he could do about it. I tried for the first time to lay on my operated side and it felt like I was laying on a bag of marbles - so for now, I'm still on my back, although I had a go at sleeping 'good side down', braced with pillows and could lay quite comfortably. I'm still using one crutch when outside as I still need it for balance when I tire, and will continue until I can comfortably ditch it.

I have previously mentioned in this thread about my less-than-stellar quality of care at this hospital and my anaesthetic issues, and surprisingly, this all came up with my chat with the surgeon - bearing in mind I haven't actully spoken (complained) to the hospital about this. It was all in his notes and he apologised for it. The hospital was VERY well aware of my concerns beforehand (both written and verbal) and was sorry that my Anaesthetist-from-hell totally ignored everything and gave me the one thing I spent years dreading without choice or option and the major truma I went through as a consequence. (He wasn't totally to blame, those apathetic uncaring nursing staff played a major part in this). But it was out of his hands at the time and was deeply sorry, and I accepted that. (I will add that I wasn't the only one to suffer this - I assume treating people badly and ignoring their wishes is basic hospital policy). I just feel bitter about how little effort it would have taken to show some compassion and TLC to someone nearly hysterical with terror and how easier the whole thing would have been for me. I feel my whole recovery process would have been far better and quicker if I had been listened to - as was promised - than how I feel at the moment, which is a lot of bad feeling and bitterness when looking back.

I had no illusion that undergoing a THR would be a pleasent experience and was braced for an unpleasent one. What I got was a truamtic period where I had never been so scared in all my life and there was no one bothered or interested about the way I was feeling, especially when I was the crying hysterical mess when it was my turn to get on the op table. :cry:


That said - and six weeks later - I feel quite positive at the moment. Work issues sorted, mobility and movement increasing, freedom with my car returned, aching (very) slowly subsiding. My sleep issues continue unabaited which is slowly frying my brain. I will continue to sit on my elevated 'iron throne' of a chair and my 'potty seat' for the loo, for maybe the next week or so as I just don't want to risk hurting myself at this stage and I don't have the confidence yet to go without.

:)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
Well, Graham, you have made it, in spite of yourself, and things are just going to continue to get better. Have you talked with your GP about your sleep issues?
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
Maybe you could get a sleep med to get you over the hump and get your sleep pattern back to normal. I'd be one of the first to agree that getting a good night's sleep just makes everything better.


And it's time to try and let go of the
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
anger and frustration
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
you feel over your hospital experience. All water over the dam and under the bridge now--can't change it--and fretting over it only hurts you.


Looking forward to hearing about your first post op driving experience
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
It's amazing how liberating it is to be able to drive yourself again.

[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Graham....I love your positive mental attitude. You are well on your way to getting your life back. Good for you! I agree with Judy that the best thing is to put those bad experiences in a box on the top shelf in the closet and go on to enjoy life. You deserve some good times!!!
 
Congrats on the discharge Graham. Well done! So glad you got the opportunity to discuss things with your OS. Now you can let it all fade and get on with enjoying life again.

Keep trying that sleeping on the side. Start with the non-op side with a pillow between your legs. That "marbles" feeling on the op side will decrease but it does take time.

Enjoy your first drive! Major milestone!
 
Day 47 (Week 6)

"I just feel bitter about how little effort it would have taken to show some compassion and TLC to someone nearly hysterical with terror and how easier the whole thing would have been for me. I feel my whole recovery process would have been far better and quicker if I had been listened to - as was promised - than how I feel at the moment, which is a lot of bad feeling and bitterness when looking back.

I had no illusion that undergoing a THR would be a pleasent experience and was braced for an unpleasent one. What I got was a truamtic period where I had never been so scared in all my life and there was no one bothered or interested about the way I was feeling, especially when I was the crying hysterical mess when it was my turn to get on the op table. :cry:"

I am so glad about the GOOD news and the good conversation and communication you got from your OS.

I can TOTALLY empathisize and sympathize.... I felt the SAME way and went through a very similar experience. And, my first meeting with my OS was very similar.... HE apologized for the hospital treatment! His work was done (and good!)... the rest was left to the hospital. No wonder the hospital didn't send me a survey (they always do supposedly)... they already KNEW. I had no idea I would have to think, advocate, and make decisions for myself while being there.... I thought they were the experts and would help me! I kept thinking: If this were my job, would I be treating this person like this? (In between the pain and tears like you!)

Sleeping: Just this week (it's only Tuesday, so I guess it happened Sunday) was I able to sleep on my side. I've never slept on my operative side ever, I love to sleep on my left. It finally happened, without pillows, and it was great. So, it's been 9 weeks now out of surgery before that happened. I am still not getting enough sleep, but I was delighted to wake up on my side! I thought I'd have to sleep on my back forever.

The chauffering must be nice! :) I wasn't anxious to drive, just physically move. But, I must say, for a few weeks, it was great that people checked in on me, brought me things, I even enjoyed the Home Health Care people (they were happy to have a "younger" person too!)!

Relax, watch the Olympics, keep updating us.... you've got a great story and sound like a great person.

Wishing you the BEST today!

Alicia
 
:) Hi Graham, great to hear things are going relatively well and that your OS recognised and apologised for your traumatic hospital experience, I guess that must have made you feel even a little bit better :) Great news about the extra time off, that will be a relief for you.

The sleeping in the operated side does take some patience and time to get used to. What I done was to place a, well in my case a large cuddly toy lol but for a bloke who I presume doesn't own such a thing a pillow between the legs with the unoperated leg bent over it is quite a comfy position. Much the same poition as when sleeping in the unoperated leg. I still do this now 5 month out.

I gave up my special chair at exactly 12 weeks, like you I didn't want any chances, I then sat on a cushion on a normal chair or the couch for a few days for my bdy to adjust, it was so nice to give that chair and the raised toilet seat back but the toilet thing was really easy going back to the normal seat. Try not to worry about that, it will be okay

Take care

Ann
 
Day 51 (Week 7)

End of an era..?

Well, that's it for me - The final physio class over and done with as well as being discharged by surgeon, relaxed restrictions on movements, walking and mobility getting better, general aches and pains receding, walking with stick and not crutches....

I feel my graduation from the "University of Sore Butts" should have been marked somehow. Maybe we should have all thrown our crutches into the air as we waddle off into the sunset. Perhaps a ceremonial burning of the TED's to the background beating of the 'sharps' bin or something. Perhaps a presentation of my old hip preserved and mounted on a wooden plaque which I could put on my coffee table as a memento (or as in interesting door-stop/paper weight). :loll:

Seriously - I am in awe as to where all the time has disappeared to. I can't believe its been slightly over seven weeks when I was dragged into hospital and got my hip done. So apart from some continuing sleeping issues, despite the rough ride I had from the very start of this adventure and that farce of a hospital I ended up in (which I won't drag on about) I surprised myself and actually survived the ordeal (at one point, I seriously thought I wouldn't). I did write a journal covering my stay, but have decided not to show it here as I don't want to put anyone off having a THR. (unless someone asks me, that is).

So I'm basically wrapped up with treatment and assuming nothing goes wrong, I guess a new pain-free life starts - or at least starts soon. Presumably at some point, I may actually experience that phenomenon called "sleep" and save a fortune on DVD's, computer games, books, puzzles and stuff to occupy the small hours with.

I guess the best thing I'm looking forward to is to resume my photography, walk a distance without ending up bent over a walking stick after an hour and to go on holiday and not end up downing painkillers or cutting down on activities I enjoy. One of my biggest fear was not being able to go on rollercoasters post-op. (knee close to chest position) But it appears I will - and now I can't wait.

I guess I will always hang around the forum, but unless I have some change in my recovery and hip, I guess this is probably the last regular entry I will make in this thread. I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my nonsense and it was thanks to everyone here, I managed to actually find the strength within me and get this done, as I know I wouldn't have done otherwise.

You guys are great!!!

:thankyou:
 
Graham, look how far you have come! So happy you are well on your way to that pain free life.

It is always hard for us to say goodbye to a member. But (in most cases) when members leave it is because they are too busy with living again.

Do stop by once in awhile and update us. All the best my friend. Enjoy that shiny new hip!
 
Graham, look how far you have come! So happy you are well on your way to that pain free life.

It is always hard for us to say goodbye to a member. But (in most cases) when members leave it is because they are too busy with living again.

Do stop by once in awhile and update us. All the best my friend. Enjoy that shiny new hip!

Not neccessarily leave. I would like to take a 'back seat' and if I can throw in a few opinions/advice to any new pre-hippies, then I would like to. This forum's too nice to completely switch off from and has helped me no-end.
 
I know what you mean, Graham. When I flew the coop after my first THR, it was with serious pangs of Bonesmart withdrawal. It's impossible not to care about what happens to everybody. I did pop in occasionally, but it was never the same. The best part of having to do my other hip was getting involved here again. Any chance you'll do your other hip in the foreseeable future?

Sharon
 
Graham it is so good to read of your positivity and great recovery so far...... well done you:dancy: Nineteen weeks on I am now sleeping a good part of the night on the operated hip...... NEVER thought I would get there so hang on in and it will happen..... little and often and you will find, much to your amazement, one night you will find yourself on that side! I still have a small cushion by the side of the bed and when I turn onto the unoperated side I reach out for it and put it between my knees..... habits die hard!
I have odd aching and pains as all the muscles, tendons, nerves etc still heal in the operated hip but am a totally new woman!

Look forward to hearing of your continued progress:egypdance:
 
I know what you mean, Graham. When I flew the coop after my first THR, it was with serious pangs of Bonesmart withdrawal. It's impossible not to care about what happens to everybody. I did pop in occasionally, but it was never the same. The best part of having to do my other hip was getting involved here again. Any chance you'll do your other hip in the foreseeable future? Sharon

Not really. Obviously when I was diagnosed, both hips were Xrayed and my left side is perfectly healthy. The next time I go in it will be for either a revision or to repair if something goes wrong (which I'm sure it won't). If I had to have another THR I'm sure it would go far better than this one did, as I would put a lot of effort into finding a good hospital first, which is probably the biggest mistake I made in this entire journey. :)
 
Hi Graham (if you're still here),

I'm still a newbie here, so hadn't seen your thread until today, and then spent part of my day reading through all of the posts. All I can say is "WOW!", it's been quite a journey for you, from beginning to now, and I'm glad that things seemed to have worked out for you in the end.

The last point in your last paragraph is probably a very good "lesson learned" for all of us and potential newcomers. We focus on finding a good/the best OS, but maybe not enough effort on the facility and other medical support, which definitely is important.

Good luck, and thanks,
Jim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom