THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
11 Months today....

Can't believe where the time just goes to.

I've managed to get some serious walking in with my trusty camera, but the arrival of the late spring has meant that some good pictures are far and few between with flowers in late bloom. I have been to an exhibition in London and spent all day on my feet and at the end, my hip was really starting to ache a bit. I would put that down to the first serious trial of my hip since I had it 'installed' and perhaps it was more of a muscular thing. (and not being the fittest person on earth).

To be honest, all I can think about is what I was like this time last year when I was in pre-op. The nerves were seriously on edge with the prospect of not so much the op itself, but of having a spinal.

But when all said and done, I'm miles better for it and it feels like I've not had anything done at all. Just can't get over where the last 11 months have gone.

Must be getting old. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
Great update as usual, Graham. You have come a long, long way since those pre-op days. And you know that time flies when you're having fun----so you must be having a really, really good time now!!:heehee: Getting old just comes with being alive---so we may as well enjoy it as much as we can.

Take care and keep us updated. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
 
Hi GrahamDee Thank you for your very positive post Its very encouraging to hear success stories and I only hope I can do what you are doing in 9 months time.Congratulations
 
I'm always excited to see a good update from you, Graham. You were SO worried before and after your surgery, and it took a while for you to see the positives. And now, it all seems so good for you. I'm so glad.

You and I were both hoping for a Disneyworld trip after our surgeries. You thought you might have to put yours off. I've scheduled mine for October....reservations made! Hope you get there soon too.

Sharon
 
I'm always excited to see a good update from you, Graham. You were SO worried before and after your surgery, and it took a while for you to see the positives. And now, it all seems so good for you. I'm so glad.

You and I were both hoping for a Disneyworld trip after our surgeries. You thought you might have to put yours off. I've scheduled mine for October....reservations made! Hope you get there soon too.

Sharon

Thanks for that. Our Disney trip is currently uncertain for other reasons, but have not yet ruled it out - but if it happens it could be around early December time. The only reason we are thinking about going to ensure my hip is fully working and healed, but subjecting it to two weeks of rollercoasters, ice cream, junk food, miles of walking, Florida sunshine, taking pictures, shows, nightlife and all the other activities which are badly needed to ensure a good recovery. :)
 
1 Year on.....

Today is the first anniversary of my hip. This exact time last year I was in the OR, held down and sedated and I came round with an incredibly sore backside, tubes everywhere oozing all sorts, traumatised, distressed, angry and feeling like I'd been hit by a bus.

Looking back, it was a bad time and thoroughly unpleasant experience and it makes me shudder how I managed to get through it all. I remember screaming the day after how I'd wish I'd never gone through with it. Then there was the endless needles, lack of sleep, drugs, messed up bowls & bladder...so the list went on.

One year on, I will admit it was worth it. I can't remember what it was like beforehand as I struggled to stay on my feet for longer than an hour. Now I can walk anywhere and can stay standing all day. No pain at all anywhere, although the down side is I have still yet to lose the weight I put on during my three months off. (Having that time off work was one of the most pleasant things about having a THR)

Looking back, I think I would be in just the same emotional mess if the day came to get my other side done (which is normal and healthy) and the idea of going though that all again makes my blood freeze at the thought of it. I was always under the impression that one year on, it was usual practice to be called into hospital for a check up and X Ray just to see how things are. To date, I've not heard anything. Perhaps I was wrong.

Still, one year on, and life is good. No pain, loads of movement and stamina.
 
GrahamDee.. Great to hear from you.. Congratulations and Happy Hippie first anniversary... So pleased it is more of a distant memory for you now and life is good.

The weight ill come off.. I am still struggling to lose a few kilos..

Great that your other hip is good, strong and healthy and showing no signs of needing surgery.. long may it stay that way :)
 
Thirteen Months on...

Really can't add a great deal to what I've already said. Done a few theme parks recently and walked so much my other good hip started hurting. I have had a bit of ache from my other bionic hip, but it's nothing worth worrying about. (Can artificial hips be affected by the weather? We're having a heat-wave at the moment)

Life goes on......:)
 
Good to hear a fine update! Theme parks? Did you come to Disney World, or are you still thinking December?
 
Hi Graham. I am definitely affected by weather....usually the combo of cold and wet makes my muscles tighten up. Some of those muscles are already too tight, and the additional tension is really noticeable.

Good to hear from you.

Sharon
 
Graham, well done! Our bitter winter made my new hip ache if I did not wear a jacket/coat which covered it!

I am now back in the gym, on the cross trainer and getting ready to do a 17km 'gorge' walk in Crete in October!!!!

Life moves on and the new hip is tremendous although sometimes bothers me...but nothing compared to the 'old' decaying hip!! I have had a lot of physio since the op and continue to swim and do the strengthening exercises my physio gives me. I have also lost two and a half stone in weight post op and down to a size 10 which really helps!!! :) Would encourage you to continue to lose weight... really helps!! Stay strong
 
Good to hear a fine update! Theme parks? Did you come to Disney World, or are you still thinking December?

I'm afraid that looks like that will never happen. My personal circumstances have taken a turn for the worse and any vacation is off the cards, at least for now.
 
(Can artificial hips be affected by the weather? We're having a heat-wave at the moment)

Life goes on......:)

I am definitely affected by the hot and humid weather. Actually it seems to impact my nerves both sciatic and lateral femoral cutaneous, they get tingley and uncomfortable potentially from inflammation. I find that ice and cool soaks in water help to settle things back down -- plus I end up spending a lot more time indoors when it's unbearable.

Take care,
Cardie
 
14 Months on....

(I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I can keep this thread going.)

One significant thing worth mentioning is that despite my previous post (and a change of circumstance), I am officially going to finish my recovery in this coming November, having booked an extended holiday to Florida to give my hip its biggest workout it's ever seen and see how my new joint withstands the rigors of ice cream, cheeseburgers, hot dogs and all the junk food Disney and the surrounding area has to offer. I will be swimming with dolphins just to see if I rust (or just sink to the bottom), how many miles of walking I can do before I begin to squeak, how strong the joint is by trying out every rollercoaster I can find and have glorious fun setting off every metal detector in the airport. It's still a few months away, but I have all my tickets and reservations booked and paid for, its now deciding on what luggage to take.

:egypdance:
 
Great news GrahamDee! So glad you are going to give that hip an official test in Florida! And yes - do get to the airport early. If you set off the alarms you may need to wait for the pat down.

You can keep this thread going as long as you want to. We love getting updates from members - and it does help those who are considering surgery to see there is life after THR. You have come a long way Graham. Well done!
 
Just got my travel insurance booked and because I've had a THR, they are charging me an extra £7 for my cover!! I know that isn't a lot, but I'm 14 months out and never had any complications or 'pop-out'. :shrug:
 
I had the same experience. An extra £15 for back problems and THR. Oh well - best to declare and have the insurance if needed. Assume you bought coverage in the US right? That's always much more expensive!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom