OP
OP
Toothfairy

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello Ready
Lovely to have you drop by. I am doing really well and happily the ooze is now stopped.
I hope you are well and that your knee is surviving being back at school. It is really hard to keep up with people here once work and real life get in the way.

Thanks for the house call Carol patient 99
No need for you to put the kettle on, sit yourself down and get comfy and my well trained husband will make the tea. Will a mug do?
I will ask him to top up the eclair supply when he does the shopping later.
Hopefully chair 3 will be the perfect combination of support and comfort.

After stating my plans for a quiet day I looked out of the window this morning at the sun shining and decided that a trip to the seaside was needed.
I discussed it with my husband and having talked it through came to the conclusion that it was too far, too soon and too much.
Having reached that logical and sensible conclusion I decided that I was going anyway!
We had a lovely drive to the seaside, a short walk on a nice flat path by the sea followed by lunch in a nice cafe watching the sailing boats racing. Another short walk after lunch then home.
I am now worn out, a bit sore and very happy. It was so good to go somewhere different and see a different view.
I will not be going far for the next couple of days and am getting on with my knitting now. Time to behave. :whistle:
Hugs Toothfairy x :egypdance: :dancy: :happydance:

Fernie

graduate
What are you like ? :rofsign: Sounds like a lovely afternoon and I'm glad you took it easy. Sometimes you need a change of scene and as everything is going well, then why not ? :yay:

Ive been running around with little one today whilst hubby has been ripping up carpet downstairs ready for our lovely new floor :)

How is physio going fluttery fairy ?

Ive pretty much stopped icing, well it is 7 mths ! But have to elevate each night as inevitably knee is stiff and aching. I met someone at my Ww class who had tkr 18 mths ago and she said to hang in there as relatively early days still, I do live in hope. I think the bottom line is that Im always on the go !

enjoy your Sunday. I'm off for early swim then long lunch with a few friends and all our kiddies, should be fun.

take care my friend. Big hugs Fxx :flwrysmile: x

OP
OP
Toothfairy

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
Hi Fernie, lovely to see your post,
Ooh, lovely new floor, what are you having? Sounds exciting.
Enjoy your swim and lunch tomorrow, sounds like fun.
Physio was a bit of a non event this week. Lovely girl but really only checked that my leg was still attached. :heehee:
Said still to keep to very gentle, very little till wound stopped oozing.
It stopped a couple of days ago so I have been increasing my stretches and bends gently. Back at physio on Monday.
I am doing really well, I am walking well without crutches and am starting to do stairs properly when I feel able.
This knee is so much easier than the last one and I was lucky with it too.
I am a very lucky fairy.
A this rate I might be fit to go back to work a bit sooner than last time. Whether I will is quite a different matter!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :martini:

SadKnee

senior
Toothfairy it sounds as if you are doing GREAT which is good and I am so happy for you. I cannot believe you are walking without crutches ... it sounds like you might be having another amazing recovery. Happy that the oozing has tapered back. Way too early to even mention the word work :). Your drive to the seaside and lunch sounded very nice. Rest and don't overdo. Take care!! Hugs!!

Dabber

post-grad
Country
That sounds absolutely marvellous, you are doing well!
:)

patient 99

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
I cannot believe you are walking without crutches ... it sounds like you might be having another amazing recovery.
I've now worked it all out. TF You really are a fairy. You have wings which help out when your knees get tired. You are also 12 inches tall and weigh 2 pounds. Do you grant wishes?

gami

senior
Country
Australia Australia
Morning TF sounds like your day out was just perfect and exactly what we need every now and then post -op. You asked about my 'other knee' well I'm okay with it right now, even after the fun walk yesterday I'm a little surprised and happily so how well they both are this morning.

I must say they had a bit of a workout in the last week. Mid week we went and stayed in a cottage in the National Park about 90minutes drive from our home. A friend won the accommodation package and asked us along, which was nice, good company, the fresh mountain air, waterfalls and cosy cottage were a delight.

We choose to do the Eageles Nest bushwalk on the second day not far only 2.2kms the sign said. Hmm yep 2.2kms of steep steps up and down, the trail dropped over the edge of the escarpment and just kept going down..someone forgot to read the rest of the sign that said degree of difficulty hard. We took it easy as our friends have just celebrated their 70 birthdays and although we all paddle together this sort of exercise was quite demanding. It took us 2hours which is just what the sign stated it would take(when we read it later).

My new knee was challenged by the steepness of the steps and my short legs, I had a walking pole which helped and often there were rails or branches to grab hold of so I could pull myself up. It was interesting the way my new knee behaved because the further I went the better it seemed to be handling the steps. I was thinking maybe it stretched itself out a little more as the muscles warmed because by the end of the trail it was fine. I like a good little Bonesmartie had taken a couple of my slushies with me so promptly gave it the ice treatment as I relaxed by the fire later in the afternoon...no probs the next day except for feeling very tired. :martini:

A bit like today knees are fine but I'm tired so it will be a resting day today, just have to catch up with some friends for lunch but nothing too physical planned. Nice to hear from Fernie...I think it's easy to forget sometimes where we were 6months ago, especially when you are back at work, everything else is as it was but we are different and we have to find a new pace...our brilliant Tour de Bonesmartie Fernie friend will be just fine.

Oh well time I made some brekkie...I hope the day lifts your spirits and you have plenty of rest.

chat soon hugs Gami:flwrysmile: :friends:

OP
OP
Toothfairy

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
Good morning everyone, thank you for all your lovely posts.
I think I will be in trouble for giving misleading information. :blush:
I am only walking without crutches round the house. I still use the crutches outside.
I've now worked it all out. TF You really are a fairy. You have wings which help out when your knees get tired. You are also 12 inches tall and weigh 2 pounds. Do you grant wishes?
That is so funny Carol patient 99 :rotfl:
How did you guess?
If you saw me when I am stiff and tired walking like Frankenstein you would laugh. My helper when my knees get tired is my recliner and sadly not fairy wings. It would be lovely to be able to grant wishes but sadly not in my powers.

gami your trip last weeks sounds great. The walk you did sounds impressive and it is fabulous that you managed that and didn't suffer too much. That is truly when we realise what a wonderful thing this TKR is. :dancy:
Have a great day,
Hugs Toothfairy x :happydance: :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
Toothfairy

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
I had my second physio appointment today. All good.
I have been given some new exercises to do three times a day. My bend has improved from last week and I am now allowed back on my exercise bike. :bicycle2:
I was very surprised and very pleased to be able to manage a full rotation backwards and then forwards today.
I did 1 minute three times today and plan to build up each session by a minute a day as long as I don't have any problems.
She has suggested one crutch only for walking outside but I didn't try that today as I was tired after the physio visit. No crutches in the house.
Another physio visit next Monday.
Night, Toothfairy x

turtle68

graduate
Country
United States United States
Good job TF. It sounds like your recovery is coming right along, and that the Bonesmart mantra is wworking well for you.

Sweet dreams

Dorothy

OP
OP
Toothfairy

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
Today I am tired.
My knee is noticing the increased activity with the extra exercises.
I have increased the exercise bike to two minutes today. Really enjoying being back on my bike.
I am sitting resting now with my faithful ice pack on my knee.
Today I have decided I no longer need the raised toilet seats so I have taken them off and washed and packaged them up ready for collection. It is all progress, small steps back to normality.
Hope everyone is having a great day.
Toothfairy x :wink:

Baystater

senior
Country
Your posts are wonderful TF- I am at the one month countdown now and hoping my second goes as swimmingly as your's! Soinds like in addition to everything healing nicely you have the right attitude. Keep up the good work.

Your pal across the pond (the really big pond)

Heidi

OP
OP
Toothfairy

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
Hi Heidi Baystater , thank you for your post.
I have been so very fortunate with both of my surgeries. This second knee is doing really well.
Both knees are a bit tired and stiff tonight with the step up in the level of exercises but it is only to be expected.
I found this last time too, each time the physio increased I noticed the difference for a few days then adjusted.
It is tricky to get the balance between not overdoing it and progressing.
I am doing lots of resting and icing and elevating and knitting and feeling happy that I am on the road to two good knees for the spring time.
How are you feeling about having knee 2 done?
How is your first knee doing? I will be interesting to see how it reacts to you having knee 2 done. My first knee is definitely a little bit cross.
It is missing its regular exercise but I am expecting that to sort itself out as I get more active.
I am much more relaxed about knee two, fretting about nothing and taking everything in my stride so far. I think a lot of that comes from having been through it all relatively recently.
I hope life is going well for you. October will come round very quickly.
Take care,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Toothfairy

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
Another little milestone, I took my last rivaroxaban today ( blood thinning tablet). Hooray. :yay:
Toothfairy x :yes!:

Dabber

post-grad
Country
You're doing so well!
I remember my last injection :dancy: was I glad to stop those!
Sue.:flwrysmile:

Baystater

senior
Country
Loved quitting those freaking blood thinners the last time, it meant I could have a nice couple glasses of wine FINALlY :angel:
So yes TF my right knee is doing really well, I'm so pleased. Gave myself a little scare last week though - I was feeling overly confident and did 8 miles a couple days in a row on my stationary bike. The new knee did some crunching, clicking but I thought oh no big deal. By Friday morning I had such discomfort - not pain like pre surgery but severe muscular, with some weird noises. Anyway read some articles on this forum, googled it, and decided I had just strained the muscles. I have stayed off the bike for almost a week and it all seems fine. I think tomorrow I will just do a few miles to keep it loose.

But other than that I am happy with it. - back to all my favorite activities like swimming and kayaking. Stairs aren't a problem. Walking is, but that is due to my left knee. And my left knee is about to be cut out :yikes: And honestly it can't happen sooner!

Do love reading your updates because I really think second time around is going to be easier because now I know what to expect and what to do! Thanks for all the updates!

OP
OP
Toothfairy

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
Hi Heidi Baystater
I think we all have those glitches where we overdo things. The recuperative powers of a few days resting are amazing.
I understand what of are saying about it not happening soon enough. I felt like that too which was why I said yes to surgery at short notice.
I have no regrets that I did that.
All the swimming , kayaking etc that you have been doing will stand you in good stead for knee two.
Have a lovely day,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :yes!: :wink:

robynhood

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Morning TF. Been off the forum for a couple of days family problems. I've just wrote on my thread everything proved to be ok with my knee. He thought I was lucky considering the fall. Dont feel very lucky at the moment with the pain im having. Mentally and physically not feeling too good at he moment. Talk soon. Keep the good recovery up. X x

Ready

graduate
Country
Hi, Toothfairy. You are doing amazingly well! Congrats to you. You will be amazed at how fast you are back into life again. Enjoy your time at home, I am missing it!
PJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom