TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Tothfairy. You watched the surgery on U tube, and still stayed awake during your Op?! Impressive. I had no idea of what happened during TKR until a friend decided to tell me. It was like hearing about sex for the first time. They what?! Glad you're doing we'll, and hoping your knees are as strong as your stomach :)
 
Toothfairy you are one tough lady! sending you positive thoughts in your recovery, wow I couldnt watch when they took the staples out.
 
Thank you Kathy KathyH
So far so good. I think I am a bit more relaxed with knee two as I have a good idea what to expect.
I am very lucky again to be sleeping well and I think that makes such a difference.
Knee two is still having a problem with the wound oozing. I changed the dressing yesterday and it seemed quite dry but the dressing is quite stained again today. I didn't have that problem at all first time round.
It is all looking clean so I think it is just going to need time.

I don't think I am nearly as tough as you think Clarrox and kneewords. I didn't actually see what was going on, it was just sound effects. We are all different and we all have things we can be brave about and others that are not for us, make the world an interesting place.

Have a great day everyone, mine will be another quiet day. I might try a bit of knitting today, see if my concentration is up to following a pattern.

Hugs Toothfairy x :wink:
 
Hi Toothfairy nice to see that your knee is doing well. Nice to see you posting again Holly
 
Thank you Holly lavender
It is good to be back and I am so appreciative of all the support.
Once I was back at work it was very hard to make time to post although I did read posts when I could.
It's a week already since knee 2, the time just flies by. My leg is very swollen and tight today which is a bit uncomfortable but apart from that everything is good.
Hope things are good with you,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :)
 
Hi TF hope you are having a good day. Cant believe how cold its gone today. Fire on tonight. Keep the old joints warm. Your first week over. Probably the worst one. Hope the oozing has stopped now. Weird how two ops can be so different. Hope you have a happy healing weekend. Here's to week 2
 
You watched the surgery on U tube, and still stayed awake during your Op?! Impressive. I had no idea of what happened during TKR until a friend decided to tell me. It was like hearing about sex for the first time. They what?!

lol Although I'm curious, I plan on watching the video AFTER my 2nd knee. I already get antsy now when I think about going through another morning after experience. :scary:I am looking forward to having both knees recovering, so I can get on with my life.

Toothfairy, I'm glad you are taking it easy and finding simple pleasures to occupy your time.:puppysmooze:
Keep sprinkling that pixie dust all over this site, but don't use it all up. :no-fin: I'm gonna need a double dose in less than 2 weeks. :scare:
 
Hi Pat robynhood, my day was mixed yesterday. I was feeling well in myself and managed some knitting. My leg decided to have a very swollen day yesterday and by evening was very uncomfortable and tight which isn't much fun.
It was huge by bedtime. This morning it is much less swollen again but still feeling a bit tight.
I have my first physio appointment on Monday which will be interesting as I have not done much at all in the way of exercises. Between oozing and swelling I am quite restricted in what I can do.
I am doing lots of ankle pumps and foot rotations. I am also doing heel slides but very gently to avoid aggravating the ooze.
I have had a little walk outside each day which has been lovely. Not going far but so good to get some air.
I am planning a slow start today, breakfast in bed! I am making the most of it.
How are your knees doing Pat?

BionicWoman2 you might find things are very different second time around. I certainly have. I was quite anxious before knee 2, a real dose of 'fear of the known' but once I got to the hospital I switched into 'let's get on with it ' mode. I am delighted with both of my new knees now. Knee 2 still has a lot of settling in to do but I know that I will get there.
I think in a way I was very lucky to get whisked into hospital at such short notice as it didn't give me much time to think about it.
I will make sure the pixie dust stocks are high and I will keep a special little pile reserved for you.

Have a great weekend everyone,
Hugs Toothfairy x
:happydance: :spin:
 
" a real dose of 'fear of the known' but once I got to the hospital I switched into 'let's get on with it ' mode." That sounds like plan. Right now I'm somewhere between "dose of fear of the known" and "okay, it has to be done." Hopefully, I will get my inner "Rocky" on when I get to the hospital. :beg:

I hope the swelling in you knee has gone down some. Perhaps you should give yourself "a dose of you own medicine" and sprinkle some pixie dust on it. :angel:
 
Hi TF, thanks for the ideas on looking after the 7yr old. Read your ealier reports and although you've got swelling it all seems to be going well. Its important that you have a first class recovery. For you of course, but its also encouraging for us lot in the slow lane. At nearly 7 months now I still struggle trying to get the right balance between exercise and rest. Your slow but sure approach is probably the best. Keep doing well. Carol
 
I'm just catching up with your progress TF, I hope the sickness and oozing have both reduced.

I had Tramadol for a broken shoulder and it made me very sick so when I mentioned it in hospital they didn't give it to me.....however once home the GP prescibed it after 2 weeks of trying to get to grips with pain and I was fine with it, weird....it seems to be about the strongest med we can have in the UK. I was away with the fairies to begin with though!

Pat and I were in the same hospital and I opted for exactly the same....spinal and knock out sedation. However I like to know what's happening too and for my pacemaker implant I had LA and light sedation, very light apparently. It was interesting, I was able to watch the surgeon putting the leads into the heart chambers on a screen and there was a lot of tugging to get out the monitor I'd had implanted 18 months ago. I'll go for the lighter sedation for knee 2 when the time comes.

It's a shock afterwards having had no time to build up to the op but in the long run you'll feel the benefit I think. I have done with my PM, it took a couple of weeks to realise the benefit.

You are such a kind and caring person.

Sue. :friends:
 
Dabber, I had the same problem with Oxycodone right after I got home, but a month or so later when I went back on it.... no problem :shrug: (other than being in Lala-land :rolleyes:)

Sue, you are so right about Toothfairy being a kind and caring person, as are you. :SUNsmile:

Like they say... "It takes one to know one." :friends:
 
Sue, you are so right about Toothfairy being a kind and caring person, as are you.

Yes, yes, yes. But who was it who offered to leave TF some of her breakfast when she was in hospital. I could easily have said I'd scoff the lot, but I didn't. I think you can justifiably say that I, PATIENT 99, am the kindest and most caring of all - including Mutley, Turtle 68, Robynhood, Bionic woman 2, Josephine, Kneeper, Speckybecky etc. etc. etc
 
Hi BionicWoman2
My leg is much better now, I have no idea what caused the swelling the other evening but it was greatly improved by the following morning. It is now an interesting mixture of autumnal colours as the bruising is fading.
I am sure your inner 'Rocky' is close by and will appear nearer the big day. We will all be here to support you. :thumb:

Hi Carol patient 99
I can't take any credit for the suggestions as they were made by others. I hope you and Ollie have fun whatever you end up doing. 7 is a lovely age.
The swelling reduced overnight to a more normal post TKR swelling. The ooze continues but greatly reduced. I seem to have a 3:30am slot reserved for a little pain time at the moment. No idea why. I take my pain meds around 2 am, get back to sleep then waken again feeling sore. It doesn't last long so nothing to complain about. I have a vague memory of something similar with knee 1.

I have had a breakthrough, I am able to walk without my crutches around the house so I can get myself a cuppa when my husband is out.
It is so good to be able to do something myself. :yahoo: I hate being so dependent.

Hi Sue Dabber thankfully the sickness has gone. I am still taking one cyclizine in the morning but I will try stopping this soon and see what happens. Maybe not tomorrow as I have my physio visit. The ooze is greatly reduced but not quite stopped yet.
Good for you watching the monitor when you had your pacemaker. The wonders of modern medicine. I know it's not for everyone to watch but I find it fascinating too and would happily have watched my knee replacements if they would have let me.

Happy Sunday everyone.
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:
 
Yes, yes, yes. But who was it who offered to leave TF some of her breakfast when she was in hospital. I could easily have said I'd scoff the lot, but I didn't. I think you can justifiably say that I, PATIENT 99, am the kindest and most caring of all - including Mutley, Turtle 68, Robynhood, Bionic woman 2, Josephine, Kneeper, Speckybecky etc. etc. etc

Undoubtedly. No competition. :happydance:
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:
 
Good. Its important to get things right.

Now, how are you TF? Got everything you want? Nobody giving you grief I hope. Time is flying along. It must be a massive comfort to know you don't have to go through this again. How is LTKR taking it? Carol
 
Ho Carol patient 99
I am really well thanks, all is good in my little recovery bubble.
LTKR is a little grumpy and missing the daily exercise bike routine. It's not painful just a bit more clicky and a tiny bit stiff.
I am quite sure it will all settle as I start to get more active again.
It is lovely to know both knees are done. Also to be rid of the pain that my right knee was causing. My new knees feel so strong and stable.
How are you today?
Toothfairy x :egypdance:
 
Good. Its important to get things right.
:rofsign:Mirror Mirror on the wall... WHO'S the Fairest of them ALL? :rotfl:


My leg is much better now, I have no idea what caused the swelling the other evening but it was greatly improved by the following morning. It is now an interesting mixture of autumnal colours as the bruising is fading.

Yay! :yay: Reduced swelling is always good and a little autumn rainbow never hurt anyone either. :heehee: Sorry about your middle of the night unscheduled wake-up pain call. Hopefully it will pass soon. :beg:
 
Hello, first physio appointment went well today. I can bend and straighten well enough for this stage and have to continue with a very reduced and gentle set of exercises and stretches for this coming week as I still have some wound ooze. I had it redressed by the nurse who agreed that it all looks fine and is healing very nicely. The oozing has greatly reduced and is now only at one spot instead of three. Hopefully it will stop soon. I have been given a pile of dressings so I can change it when needed.
After my physio appointment my husband took me out for lunch, just a baguette and a cuppa near to home but it was nice to have a change of scene. I was pretty tired by the time I got home so have spent the rest of the day reading and watching TV.
Must go to sleep, quiet day tomorrow. I hope everyone is well,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :happydance: :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom