TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Pat, Aren't families complicated. And from what I gather mother in laws can have a particularly hard time.
 
They're 11 and 7, no they seem OK as both were Autumn/Winter babies, both 3 lb ers. I hardly see them with my immunity difficulties at the moment but hope to catch up at Christmas.:)

How are you feeling now about your diagnosis, it's difficult isn't it? :console2:
 
Do you know if you will be having Mohs surgery?

Kneeper, I can't begin to thank you enough for bringing this to my attention. I didn't have any idea what Mohs surgery was. I've just googled it. Very interesting. I am now going to write to the surgeon who will do the op and ask if it will be Mohs surgery. And if not why not. I am extremely concerned about how it will look after the op (given that its on my head), so clearly want to go for something that will do the least damage.

Once again. Thank you. Carol
 
How are you feeling now about your diagnosis, it's difficult isn't it?

Have you just seen Kneeper's post. I am so grateful to her. You don't know what you don't know. But I will make it my business to discuss Mohs surgery with the surgeon doing my op.

For a 7 year old to ask after your health shows a particularly loving/caring nature.
 
It's amazing what friends you've never met can suggest that you'd never have known about isn't it!

He's a lovely, tolerant grandson, perhaps aided by having an equally lovely little brother who is rather more of a swing from the light fitting type. I say with pride my daughter was asked into school one day....he'd befriended a little disabled boy who was lonely and they were suggesting a playdate. My granddaughter keeps me strong because when she was only about 4, I had a major op I was worried about and she said...."Just be strong granny." I think of that whenever I head towards theatre for another procedure.
:huggy santa:
 
Mohs surgery?

Kneeper, since getting your message I've now written a letter to my surgeon (copied to my GP). From what I have now read Mohs surgery has to be the best by far. What I'm not sure about is whether they will do it on the National Health Service (NHS). I've googled it and there are a few NHS hospitals doing it, but not in my area. But I think these days GPs have the freedom to send you anywhere.

When I had my TKR I was completely ignorant. I got what they gave me and it may well have been the best. I still don't know for sure. The same would have been true about my skin cancer had it not been for your intervention. Of course there is learning in this for me. DO YOUR RESEARCH. But sometimes you don't know what you don't know. I might have stumbled on Mohs surgery, but then again, without the right search words, I might not.

Once again BS (through you directly in this case) have helped me so much. I will let you know what happens next. I am scheduled to see the surgeon in 6 weeks time. They will have the biopsy diagnosis then and will be able to say for certain whether it is a BCC or not. If it is and this particular surgeon doesn't do Mohs surgery, then there will be a delay. But given the type of skin cancer it is, I don't think that's anything to worry about. I will check with my doctor (and DO MY RESEARCH TO CHECK THIS). If it comes to it I may have to consider going private. I hope not because that's going to cost a lot of money I can ill afford.

Thank you Kneeper. Carol
 
I've now got hospital appointments Christmas Eve AND New Year's Eve!
We're in the situation of thinking we need to put money aside for private care if and when.

I know this sounds awful Carol, but one of my dreads has been to mould away in an old people's home with Alzheimer's and everything using up the little bit of inheritance for my children! I think that may not now happen for me and for that at least I can be grateful!
:xmas-win:
 
Carol just for uninformed like me could you explain what Mohs surgery is. I would be interested to learn about it.
 
My sister had Mohs done a few years ago on a basal cell carcinoma spot right about at her hairline. She is lucky to live in an area with a university hospital where they do this all the time. She had a very good result.
My understanding is that with Mohs they go layer by layer , checking microscopically as they go and only remove what is necessary.
https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mohs-surgery/MY01304
 
but one of my dreads has been to mould away in an old people's home with Alzheimer's and everything using up the little bit of inheritance for my children! I think that may not now happen for me and for that at least I can be grateful!

Sue, to rationally face the prospect of death must be the hardest thing anyone will ever do - may be it can only be surpassed by the death of one's child. I understand totally what you mean. To moulder away not recognising anybody, is I think a living death, and I am adamant that that's not for me either.

When I asked you if there was anything positive about your cancer, I thought at the time it was the daftest, most insensitive question ever. But you are such an amazing woman, that you did indeed find a positive. You are so amazing you just might beat this thing. I feel so much for you and I don't even know what you look like. It doesn't matter you are SUE. xx C
 
Carol, I just looked at the Mayo Clinic link above and Mohs surgery sounds like it is exactly what you need. That's great they can do that with skin cancer. When Jim had the kidney cancer, they had to make sure they removed a "margin" around the tumor but still took as little of his kidney as possible. @Dabber, you have truly wonderful grandchildren and I'm really not surprised given they have you as a grandmother. You are amazing, even I know that sometimes it must be difficult to "just be strong". @kneeper So happy you were able to give Carol all the good information on the Mohs surgery. It sounds like that's the way to go.

Carol, I don't mean to rob your thread but I am very happy to report I got blood work and urinalysis reports this morning, and all is normal. I'm still really worried about my cat, going to take him to the vet again this afternoon. Jim took him to the emergency vet yesterday, and they wanted to put him though all kinds of tests, and keep in the hospital (and collect up to $2,000,) but he's 15 years old, and I just won't put him through all that.

How long will it take to hear back about where you can have the Mohs surgery? Do you go to a dermatologist for that type of surgery in the U.K.? Keep us posted and I hope you're able to arrange it quickly.

Big Hugs, Dorothy:kitty chris:
 
what Mohs surgery is.

Hi Pat, I just copied this. You can see why I am so delighted that Kneeper brought it to my attention.

The reason for the technique's success is its simple elegance. Mohs differs from other techniques in that microscopic examination of all excised tissues occurs during rather than after the surgery, thereby eliminating the need to "estimate" how far out or deep the roots of the skin cancer go. This allows the Mohs surgeon to remove all of the cancer cells while sparing as much normal tissue as possible. The procedure entails removing one thin layer of tissue at a time; as each layer is removed, its margins are studied under a microscope for the presence of cancer cells. If the margins are cancer-free, the surgery is ended. If not, more tissue is removed from the margin where the cancer cells were found, and the procedure is repeated until all the margins of the final tissue sample examined are clear of cancer. In this way, Mohs surgery eliminates the guesswork in skin cancer removal, producing the best therapeutic and cosmetic results.
 
I got blood work and urinalysis reports this morning, and all is normal.
Hi Dorothy, that's good news of course, but it doesn't explain why you keep getting the urinary infections. You know it can be past between couples. Let's just hope the antibiotics have done the trick and that's an end to it.
I know we get very attached to our pets, but 15 is a really good age for a cat. With you as his carer he has probably had a charmed life.

I'll keep you posted on the skin cancer treatment. It will happen around late January I guess. xx C,
 
We're in the situation of thinking we need to put money aside for private care

I don't fully understand how this works. I thought that the NHS would cover all care costs??? Sue is the chemo not working? Please ignore if I am being intrusive. Carol
 
Thanks for explaining Carol. I hate to be ignorant when people are talking about important stuff. I found myself in the situation when I went to visit my school friend Anne this Saturday. She has cancer for the third time and stopped her chemo six months ago as it was making her too ill and had basically stopped working. So she calmly told me she had her son there in the week and he had sorted all her insurance matters out. She has wrote out her will. She has left letters to her three children. She actually said she felt lucky she could do this as everything was in order and her children had letters they will cherish. It wasn't morbid at all and I felt really pleased she was able to talk to me like this. She wants me to accompany her to a funeral directors after Christmas to sort her last wishes out with them. She told me on Saturday she felt the cancer has gone into her bones now. She has tumours in her groin, stomach and lungs. She dosent want the scan until after Christmas in case it is bad news and she dosent want to spoil her kids Christmas. I've never known anyone so brave or inspirational as my friend. I admire her very much. She got divorced over 20 years ago so has gone thru all her illness's on her own.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
She has cancer for the third time

Hi Pat, a very sad story. My parents died in their mid 70s. Losing mum hit me hard (bowl cancer) . But in the scheme of things its how it goes. I have never had to face the loss of someone close who has died prematurely. The very closest person to me has always been my sister. I love other members of my family too. But she has always been there (except for the first 3.5 yrs , then she was born). I hope I go before her because I don't know how I would cope without her.

Pat, we must stop this gloomy talk. Its christmas - tis the season to be JOLLY. Hi @turtle68 How about you? Are you feeling jolly? I've just looked at the calendar, and thought I better start thinking about christmas food shopping. I've pencilled it in for the 23rd. The shops will be heaving, but some of the supermarkets are open until midnight. I'm usually tucked up in bed by that time, but I do think I should leave it as late as possible :santa sleigh: to avoid the crowds. I am going to try and be sensible and not overshop. I always seem to buy a hugh jar of pickled onions (no idea why). Come August I chuck it out. But this year will be different. Bugs Carol
 
Hi Carol, yes it is that time of the year to be JOLLY:huggy santa:And like you, it's time to sit down and make lists for supermarket. We're having friends for dinner Friday, and Saturday, so going to keep it simple and just enjoy their company. I'm happy to report today that I had regular check-ups today with cardiologist and pulmonary doctor, and all is well and normal. :reindeer: What a blessing, I'll take this healthy stage and run with it while I can.:xmas-tree:

Going a little crazy with these Christmas icons, and now it's time to get our cat, Einstein, out from under the bed and take him to the vet.
 
Hi All, what an amazing friend Pat @robynhood but how very sad.
Carol @patient 99 from now on I see you with a giant balloon chasing you! I have a CT scan on Christmas Eve to see whether the treatment is working , I don't expect they'll tell me there and then but this is basically because my operated leg was very swollen again, however, it's now gone down a lot but it's still complaining loudly.
Re finance, the NHS seems very good but then you get to NICE and what they pass for funding. With lymphoma there is a lot of research going on and some of the newer treatments aren't passed for funding in the UK by NICE so we thought there might possibly come a time when I need something that isn't yet available on the NHS; a bit like Synvisc for knees, I had one injection done at an NHS hospital but most won't fund it.
Dorothy @turtle68 that's good news about your health.
I've been a little low with drug side-effects and will sink again tomorrow for 2 days when I do my next injection of growth factor but after that, lets enjoy Christmas, Bonesmarties!!:sleigh:
:xmasdance::xmas-tree::presnt::mer xm:
Sue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom