TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been off the site for a week or so - work and tiredness and a cold but as far as my user name it came partially from a typo - never set up user names when medicated. Lee is a nickname for me and then I was going to use initials of my maiden name and my married name but then my fingers stuttered on the last a and it has an extra a. I set this up after my first knee surgery so was not at my best or I was great since I was somewhat drugged.

Having shoes made would be wonderful. I have large wide feet and of course a bunion so finding something comfortable is always interesting and almost impossible. Now that I have survived two knee replacements I am thinking I might be brave enough to have the foot surgery.

Carol, it is wonderful being older and not worrying as much about appearances but having fun. A few years ago my husband and I went to his company's yearly party - all black tie optional and fancy that year. Music started and it was good music so we were dancing and of course my feet and shoes were no longer getting along so as I used to when I was a teen, I left them under the table and had a great time dancing. Later in the ladies room a 20 something was telling me how much she admired me for taking off my shoes and being comfortable dancing and wished she felt able to do the same. It was so funny to me. Older age has to have some things since we do have some other issues to put up with.

I think you are awesome and love your sense of humor. Have a great holiday. Lee:xmasdance:
 
How did you get on?

Hi Pat Toothfairy, I didn't get on that well. I thought it would be nothing. A local anesthetic, then a sample and finish. That bit was actually OK. It didn't hurt very much and it was quick. It was when I got home that it went down hill. Th anesthetic wore off and my head was throbbing. I couldn't sleep on my left side (just like the early days of TKR). As a result I got very little rest. Dabber it gives me a little insight into what you are going through.

They said I couldn't wash my hair for a couple of days because it might cause the wound to open. My hair is all matted with blood and stuff they sprayed on my head. And this was just the biopsy. In 6 weeks time they will remove the whole tumour. I asked if my hair would regrow. It wont. But the patch, hopefully will be small, so I should be able to cover it - particularly if I part my hair differently.

The skin cancer is something they call a BCC (basal cell carcinoma). Its usually caused by sun burn. If it were some where else on my body eg, arm/leg it wouldn't be so bad - I wouldn't lose some of my hair. Also I wouldn't have to have a skin graft, but scalps are thin, so a skin graft will be necessary.

Of course I could do without it. But I tell you once you've had a TKR, other things, which might have seemed a big deal, aren't any more.

Thanks ladies for thinking of me. And Dorothy turtle68 we'll catch up soon. xx Carol
 
I might be brave enough to have the foot surgery.

Oh Lee think twice. The foot has so many tiny bones in it. Two people I know - one had a bunion removed, the other had hammer toes straightened. They had a tough time recovering. If it doesn't give you pain, then a far easier option is made to measure shoes. They are expensive, but cheaper than a week's holiday abroad.

You know, I've just checked and was amazed that your last TKR was 11 September THIS YEAR. How you find time to be so supportive with a newbee TKR I just don't know. You are the one who is awesome. Perhaps I should take back what I said about the foot surgery - you are obviously one tough cookie. Carol

ps: how is your TKR doing? any tips on how to get rid of tight bands?
 
Wow Carol dosent sound good. I'm a real baby where operations are concerned ( that's why it took me five years to face a TKR) so that sounds real nasty to me. What a weird place to get sunburn. We never think of things like this when we are sun bathing. Especially in this country. We are just not used to it. I really hope you have a better sleep tonight. It must bring back memories of the early days of TKR. And of course as you mention our good friend Sue at the moment. We take so much for granted with our health dont we. Have a peaceful restful weekend. Take Care xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi, my ears are burning :happydance: I'm so sorry about your BCC. I hope the biopsy site improves soon and you can sleep.
I am a little worried because my leg has swollen up again, it's the operated one but the other is a little swollen, they're bringing the CT scan forward so they can see whether the treatment is working, it's on Christmas Eve and I have to drink a litre of water an hour before, I'm not even thinking about that or I shall have to send out to Boots for Tena Lady!

I felt quite bad after Thurs chemo for 2 days but am a lot better today, although I crashed a bit ago. I don't do much, it took me a week to write a few Christmas cards. I wish I could do more and DANCE!

We've just managed to sort a kitchen cupboard today, it's a begining in my quest to tidy the home. Mostly I was, "She who must be obeyed" and said, "Empty it".....then I manned the recycling bags and chucked things in. Then I ordered the storage and reorganisation in a logical sequence.

It felt good and I didn't have to try to bend much. I haven't tried kneeling yet, have you patient 99 ?
 
What is "everything weekend"? Sounds like fun, as long as it's to like my "everything recovery" where it seems like everything else keeps popping up and make the normal healing process just a tad more adventurous. lol
 
5' 3" Seeee, I thought you were tall like me. It must be your "Larger than Life" personality. :tada:

Dabber and turtle68, hello ladiessssss. :cheers2: Nope, I haven't had any information yet new knee in June D'Diana, but right about now, that's. to a bad idea! :martini: :martini: :cheers: :beer: :beer: :martini: :martini: :cheers2:
 
Aiy Yi Yiiiii I just caught up with your thread......SKIN CANCER! Ladies, what's going on? This IS The "Everything Weekend!" Hopefully, it's a done deal and you can cover that patch with the pink hair extension I just put in the mail for you. :heehee: It's not the straight kind, it more of a Shirley Temple curl.... Keep'em guessing.
 
I'm a real baby where operations are concerned

Hi Pat, I guessed that ages ago. What amazes me is how a woman who has had SIX children could be scared of anything. As each month of each pregnancy past, I'd have been getting increasingly concerned as to how I would get it out. Come month 9 my husband would have been a dead man and the mid wife would have needed to carry a club. That's another positive about the grandchildren - somebody else has to give birth to them.

I know its not something we are supposed to do, but do you have a favourite grandchild? You can't control your feelings, but of course you can ensure you don't show favouritism.
 
pink hair extension

As is so often the case with your suggestions, my first reaction is `are you mad woman?', but then I think more about it and they grow on me eg, when you suggested I get it on with Peter Cottontail.
A curly pink hair extension -why not.

BW2 I so hope something gives for you at work - and quickly.
 
Thanks Carol. Me too. :beg::bow: I woke up thinking about it all and started crying. Smh (google it) I don't want to miss the Christmas party. :giftsa: I am indeed the Hostess with the Mostest. :ereindeer: Wish I COULD do that move. :ereindeer::ereindeer:Or a little of this.:xmasdance:But my knees are killing me. Sigh....:reindeer:


Hope you have a good day and your Christmas shoes come out nice and shiny, so you can do this too! :xmasdance:
 
Hi Pat, so sorry. Just reread previous message. I wanted to say that I knew you were squeamish, not that you were a baby. Sometimes things don't come out they way they are intended, and then you have posted them for the world to see and its too late. Still Friends? C
 
I woke up thinking about it all and started crying.

Oh Raqia, you have every reason to cry. In my experience most problems do resolve themselves if given enough time. I hope that a year from now you will look back on all this and think how pleased you are that its all behind you. Words of comfort are unlikely to cut it right now, so I wont add any more. You haven't got to 52 years and a single mother of 2 boys without learning a thing or two. Dig deep Raqia, you will find a way -YOU can't fail. Carol
 
I agree with Carol @patient99. You are obviously a very strong resourceful character and although this may seem like the end of the world at the moment with no way out- you can and will turn this around. I do speak from experience and have had some very dark times in the past so know how you must be feeling. Believe things will get better and follow the good advice from others. Things will get better.
:friends:Big hugs
Speedy2
 
Everything okay here except our cat, Einstein, has been under the weather. He's of to the emergency vet with Jim right now, as I'm having daughter's friends here for lunch and bookclub (all prepared by Costco), except I've been cleaning all morning.

How is your head? What a place to get skin cancer but glad you are having it taken care of. @Bionic woman2 I'm so sorry to hear about the horrible treatment at your workplace, the administration of your school sounds downright cruel. Must go right now, so hopefully this week will be more settled and I will catch up with y'all.

Big Hugs, Dorothy:bells:
 
Hi Carol. O yes. Still friends:cheers: About a favourite grandchild. Well yes I have. My two eldest grand sons live in mid wales and to be honest from when they were born my sons:huggy santa: mother in law let it be known she was Nanna Number 1. As I didn't see them all that often that seemed fair. Then little Emily cane along and again SAMs Mum had more to do with her because she used to look after her when Sam went to work. Then there was Robyn who we didn't know was Marks until she was six months old DNA and everything and then he had to go to Thailand for six months so we kept in contact with Robyn until he came home. So yes shes my favourite the one I'm closest to. SORRY that was quite a long explanation of something very simple :friends:
 
I have slight favourites too, but all mine are very different and individual. 2 of our grandchildren had really difficult starts in life, very prem and both are very sensitive and also very loving, they are the two who ask how I am but they're also the eldest ones.

Apart from high BP and pre eclampsia I had relatively good pregnancies and had one home birth, but all our 5 grandchildren have been born under difficult circumstances and are treasured.

Sorry you didn't ask me :presnt:
 
Sorry to hear about your biopsy but good you're getting this taken care of. Do you know if you will be having Mohs surgery?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom