TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Carol for your thoughtful and "on the money" Christmas wish. I hope to do BOTH of those things in the near future.

I pray that your head heals soon, so I can FedX you that Curly pink hair extension and you can rock it for New. Year's Eve! You know I can't stay serious. Actually I can, but I'm trying to keep it light today. :nativity:


Merry Christmas-Carol... Yuk yuk! Get it? :reindeer:

:mer xm:
 
I pray that your head heals soon,

thanks BW2, but its unlikely. Its been like this all my life, so it probably wont change now <chuckle>. Wouldn't it be interesting if we could have somebody else's head just for a day/week. Just to see things from a totally different perspective.

There's a current thread discussing whether one should share a bed with their spouse in the early days of TKR. As you might have guessed some say yes others say no. I, on the other hand thought YOU MUST BE OUT OF YOUR MIND TO WANT TO SHARE. I think there is a time and place for everything and sharing after a TKR aint the time or the place. People's heads (including the unhealed ones like mine) are so wonderfully different.

Now I suspect you would be a sharer??? Carol
 
@turtle68 Hi Dorothy sounds like you had a lovely christmas and it doesn't matter if new year is quiet if you have a lovely cruise to look forward to.
 
I'm with you @patient99, definitely need your own bed and space after TKR - who wouldn't?????
Glad you have had a good Christmas - ours was not as planned - ill for the majority of it - typical!
I think you should start a new hair trend and do a Dusty Springfield backcomb job with a few jewels added for extra interest. Now what could be better especially with those hotpants you were going to wear...
 
I'm with you

Hi speedy2. When I was young sharing a bed was a jolly nice thing to do, but I am no longer young. Being woken up because hubby is snoring would drive me to more drink. My husband also thrashes about a lot in his sleep. Imagine if he accidentaly kicked my TKR!!!! Did you know the Queen (of England) also has her own bed.

You said you were ill over christmas . What was the cause? Carol
 
Hi Carol, good to hear from you. How was your holiday? On the sleeping thing, I'm kind of a night wanderer, but do prefer Jim nearby. It's not so bad now that we both have cpap machines.

Yes, looking forward to cruise. It was a last minute decision but will be good to get away. I plan on spending a lot of time on balcony watching the sea go by and catching up on reading and relaxation.

Wishing you a happy and prosperous new year. Dorothy
 
Hi Carol,

Unfortunately, I had a tummy bug which made me quite poorly for a few days and then my son who was visiting for the holidays caught it which made me feel guilty.
I'm back in the 'marital' bed now and enjoy having my hubbie next to me now but still look longingly at the other beds sometimes...
Hope you are well and have a happy, healthy peaceful New Year.Don't to too much dancing!
 
@turtle68 I can't see where it mentions cruise, but how lovely, have a wonderful break!! Where are you cruising to?
@patient 99 do you know what I'm going to say, my husband and I share a very big bed, not as big as hotel ones occasionally are these days, but so handy for the bring me a cuppa/icepack/breakfast my dear tap/kick in the morning.

Happy new year to everyone esp all the admin and moderators.

Sue.
 
Sue, we're cruising from the Port of Houston to Cozumel, Mexico, then Belize, and Honduras. It's nice because we don't have to fly anywhere and we're going with a group of about 70 people who live here in Sweetgrass. @patient 99 , we have an oversized bed as well which is actually two extra long twins inside one frame, and we can adjust our own mattress to our liking. Love it.

Happy New year to you all and thank you to all admins, moderators, and friends

Dorothy
 
OOOH have a super time, I want to live where you do. I think that's the sort of bed I'll choose next time with both sides adjustable.

Speak in 2014 my dear BoneSmartie friends.

Sue
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's not so bad now that we both have cpap machines.
Hi Dorothy, you've got me again. What is a cpap machine? I know its sad sitting in front of a laptop on New Year's Eve, but we didn't get invited to anything this year and I didn't fancy standing in a pub being pushed and shoved. I made a special meal in doors and we had chablis so not complaining.

@Dabber Hi Sue, I think its lovely that you (and Dorothy and @speedy2) are still able to share a bed. I am like the princess and the pea - everything and anything bothers me. If a dog so much as barks in the middle of the night it irritates me. You know the expression `it gets on my nerveS', well in my case read `it gets on my nerve'. I did the two large singles together thing - a total of 7ft wide, but it didn't help with any snoring, nor if hubby needed the bathroom.

As for getting cups of tea in bed etc. I don't miss out. I have the telephone intercom. So where ever hubby is in the house I can reach him <chuckle>. He loves me really:no-fin:
 
Don't to too much dancing!

Oh speedy if only. In the early days of TKR I used to get messages telling me I would be able to do so many things given time. Sadly it hasn't happened - YET.

How are things going with your knee? Carol
 
2014 will be your year for sure Carol and then there will be no stopping you.

My knee is so much better than it was before TKR but there is still room for more improvements (hopefully...) I still find going down stairs, getting out of the car and other things that require my knee to bend more, practically impossible. I think my bath days are definitely a thing of the past after the attempt I had a few weeks ago when I nearly drowned myself...

However, on a positive note I can do so much more than I could this time last year - just walking was practically impossible and the dreadful, constant pain was just unbearable at times. I'm looking forward to having a much more active life in 2014 - well more active for me:heehee: Hopefully the same will be true for you too Carol.

By the way, how are the magic shoes coming along?

Happy New Year.
:martini:
 
Carol, it stands for continuous air pressure and it's for sleep apnea where you snore and stop breathing. Mine has a little nasal pillow and Jim's is a mask that covers his nose and mouth. Not a pretty sight but makes fora better night's sleep. We're staying in tonight as well. Had one invite but don't want to drive anywhere, so making some spaghetti bolognese and chilling. (Literally, it's cold and damp.)

@Dabber the cruise should be nice - I never thought I'd get Jim to go on a cruise, but he's really looking forward to it.

Dorothy
 
it stands for continuous air pressure
thanks Dorothy. I've learned so much since coming on BS. Re your cruise. Do you suffer from sea sickness? I went on a cruise a few years ago. The whole boat was sea sick. They had a couple of doctors going from one cabin to the next with a massive needle which they stuck in your bum. But it did the trick. You can also get tablets to prevent the sickness. The downside to those I found is that they don't mix with alcohol. Carol
 
how are the magic shoes coming along?

Hi speedy, its work in progress. I see the shoemaker again in a couple of weeks. Not exactly sure what he does then, but imagine its checking measurements. I hope it all works out. Its something I've never done before and its a lot of money for me. I would have preferred to have first got the shoes and approved them before handing over any money, but he doesn't work that way. All a bit scary.

Do you find that as you get older you get more cautious? The things I used to do when I was young, would scare me to death now. For example I'd go to dances and accept lifts home from complete strangers. Mad or what?
Now I want to do a police check before climbing into a taxi.

However, on a positive note I can do so much more than I could this time last year - just walking was practically impossible and the dreadful, constant pain was just unbearable at times.

You know you make a good point here. The worse we were before the op the better we are likely to feel after it. I don't always think we remember this when we discuss our recoveries. Pre op for me wasn't that bad at all (I was onto things very quickly). Hence now I get a bit disappointed with my recovery because it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. Perhaps the answer is to wait until things get very very bad before having surgery?? Carol
 
Hi Carol, I typically don't get seasick but Jim does, so glad you mentioned that. Think we can get an ear patch from dr. for that. and Carol, I think you're riht about the fact that if our knees are really bad for awhile before surgery, then we have more relief after surgery. I know I can do a lot more than I could a year ago, although that was more acute pain, now it's just always an ache somewhere, and more chronic. Dorothy
 
We have phone intercom too, wonderful except we need one in the chicken coup/bottom of the garden as well! :)

My other half doesn't fancy a cruise but I might apply thumb screws at some stage; I'm going to have trouble getting travel insurance but I've heard it's easier if you're on a cruise.

I'm going to take a daily walk for a New Year resolution, when I can as my muscles are definitely needing exercise. When I can't I shall do 5 mins on the static bike....I had to stop that after the biopsy but it's all healed now. I'm sometimes guilty of forgetting the grinding pain of OA day and night, crying with the aching and being unable to walk any distance.

Hoping the shoes are both comfortable and amazing!

Dabs.:flwrysmile:
 
I'm going to take a daily walk for a New Year resolution,

Sue, what a difference. You were NEVER a moaner, but the optimism in your last message was so strong it blew my office curtains all over the place :yay:. Go girl, Go.

One thing about cruising, you have to be up for all the shore trips which can involve a lot of walking, and being very mindful of the time (don't want ship to sail without you). This can be tiring. Or you have to be happy staying on board. How successful that is very much depends on what you want from a break.

ps: why do you feel the need to communicate with the chickens?
 
Perhaps the answer is to wait until things get very very bad before having surgery?? Carol

I think that there is definitely a happy medium Carol. I personally, for many reasons, left it far too long which made the op more difficult and also not as successful as if I had had it done much sooner. By that I mean my poor ROM. But as I said my life is so much better even with some restrictions.

Keep us posted about your shoes Cinders - we will require pictures at the very least!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom