• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Cecropia

graduate
Country
United States United States
Looking good there elf1. And a permanent parking pass, how awesome is that. I never thought to ask for a handicap parking pass and nobody mentioned it.:chinstroke:Good to see your hip recovery is going great....:egypdance:

lotusbuds

senior
Country
oops I made a mistake and can't delete this..I started writing on your thread page 1 then on this page. I am so sorry. Anyways best of luck with your healing. Great you got a permanent parking pass too.

linette333

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Great news @Elf1 ! My surgeon said all the same things as yours, even down to the same joke! It really feels like the start of a whole new phase, doesn't it? :loveshwr:

Fiona444

senior
Country
What a great update from your surgeon! You are on your way now. How lovely!

SurreyGirl

post-grad
Country
What a sensible sounding surgeon.. He is obviously pleased for you… Glad you are now on the cane - it will make a huge difference but don't overdo it in the pool (speaking from experience here!)

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Wow! Things are moving splendidly for you and now you can park so close and guaranteed a parking how great is that. My hubby wants me to get a handicap parking sticker too.

gertie

post-grad
Country
That parking pass will come in handy, especially in winter iciness. Sounds like recovery is moving right along.

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Happy one month Anniversary @Elf1 You might be the first person I have ever known to receive good news at the DMV! Score. Exciting to be able to drive again and ditch the walker. Thrilled to see your progress friend. Onward and upward. Slow, smooth recovery wishes for you.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Wonderful update, @Elf1 both at the doctor's office (aren't you relieved to get the thumbs up? Even if we think we're doing pretty well, it's always nice to get that confirmation) and I agree with everyone that it's shocking--but way cool--that you got good news at the DMV I have a 3 month temporary placard but my experience is that a LOT of folks have these or permanent placards and all too often the disabled parking spots are already taken. I'm walking pretty well now, but I will hold onto my placard as I know even though things are going well, there are bound to be some tiring days ahead. Anyway, wonderful news and I bet you went to bed with a smile on your face that night. Woo, hoo!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great news on your post op visit. There's nothing like the reassurance from the OS that all looks as it should.
Being released to drive is another milestone that feels so satisfying. I recall being released to drive and not driving for several days afterward, but it felt good to know I received a nod that it was okay.
FREEDOM! :driver:
You lucked out with the placard. A permanant one, wow! I think mine was only six months, never applied for it, I'd circle the parking lot multiple times, while whining to myself, looking for the closest space. Won't do that again if there's a "next time." :hissy: Live and learn.
Hope your day is sweet!
@Elf1

OP
OP
Elf1

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks everyone, was definitely good to get the Doc's thumbs up. Going to PT this afternoon, we figured we'd decide where to go from here once the Doc signed off. Figure I might do another 2 weeks with her and see how I feel as she is teaching me stuff about my gait.

The stretch Doc did on my leg yesterday kind of took me by surprise, was really achy all night last night. Feeling better today though so hopefully can get stretched out at PT. Thinking of heading back to the gym tomorrow, take it slow and easy, see what the schedule is since I haven't been there in a few months. Wish me luck!
:treadmill::upright:

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
Hi Elf1,
Glad your one month hip anniversary is a happy anniversary and that your OS visit went well! So good to hear you are able to walk in a pool. That is something I am really looking forward to doing after surgery, then swimming again.
In my town the permanent handicap placard is good for three years, which is very convenient. I was told to be careful and take it out when my car was washed or if I used valet service because they get stolen. My town limits how many times they will replace them.
Glad you are able to go back to driving so soon.
Wishing you continued healing.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
So, @Elf1, are you heading to the gym today? So jealous of that and eager to get released for the gym as well. I know I have to wait for another couple of weeks, until my 6 week check up (and as with compression stockings, I'm determined to be good) but even going back for a 10 minute slow and no resistance jog on the elliptical will be another giant step for me to getting back to my "real" self again. Hope PT went well yesterday, another activity I'm looking forward to, again following my 6 week release, I hope. Have a great day!

OP
OP
Elf1

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Barbaraj and @mikeycat didn't do the gym today, ended up getting scheduled for an additional PT for today. They had only out me in once this week and she wanted me twice so she slid me in this afternoon. She really worked me over yesterday trying to loosen up some of the stiffness I have. Was cussing her late last night. We both knew I was probably going to be sore but didn't enjoy it a whole lot. Hopefully today will be easy day. They are moving my therapist to another of their locations two towns over so not sure how this is going to go. Would rather stay with her but don't necessarily want to drive to the new location. Did a day with another therapist there that was good but sounds like the schedule is super full. Decisions, decisions.

ahipgma

graduate
Country
Hi @Elf1
Wonderful progress. I went back to the gym after 12 weeks, slow on the elliptical with half the resistance I usually use because of my soon to be done hip --- my new hip does great, and did some machines --abs and upper body and carefully walked around the machines making sure I didn't trip on anything, and some free weights as I am always fighting bingo wings:heehee:.
It felt pretty good. Only Old Hippy holds me back. This is all stuff I was doing prior to my first surgery. We have an indoor pool at our gym too just haven't gotten up the nerve to do that yet! So have fun when you do go back to be back among the others keeping in shape in their own way!

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
I had an episode too of unbelievable soreness and stiffness post PT.I had been on several machines. But not to worry I wont be doing stuff for a bit until after the other surgery.I know when we get used to someone and then they change it upsets our sense of continuity at least for me. But maybe the other will offer a new perspective. Sounds like they are taking care of you. I am so glad for you.

Hip4life

Country
Happy One month plus one week. ❤ Sounds like things are going so well. The handicapped placard is great, isn’t it? Even though mine was temp 6 month, I made good use of it. Mine was sent from the ortho office so they applied for me. Any way, it is so great to hear you getting back to a sense of normalcy even if it’s a new normal. Continued good healing and reports! :loveshwr:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
I hope the second session of PT went well, and you weren't too sore afterwards, @Elf1 I think it is important to get a good therapist to work with you, but traveling a long distance to stay with a particular therapist sounds challenging. Is there another therapist that you could try working with at the same more convenient location who might be able to take over? It is challenging to have to make decisions like that--but deep breath, think about it some more and I am sure you'll make the decision that works best for you. Happy Friday!

OP
OP
Elf1

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Morning everyone! I told my therapist to take it easy as the day before was kind of rough. She apologized and said she promised to take it easy and she did. There are just a few spots that really needed to be loosened and and she didn't want to overdo since we did back to back PT. Will miss having her as my therapist and told her to brief the one taking over not to hurt me! I believe the therapist they have me set up with is the manager for this location. We'll give her a shot and if I don't like her I can just quit going or try to get into the other location.

The energy drain is oh so real! Did PT yesterday, drove myself for the first time, stopped at the store on the way home to grab something quick for dinner. Did a little extra stroll through the store since it was my first solo visit so I could browse. Made an easy dinner, sloppy Joes and Mac and cheese. Ate dinner, sitting on couch and just couldn't keep my eyes open. Next thing I know I'm snoozing! :sleep:

Think I'm just going to take it easy today and do nothing! Everyone have a great day!

Top Bottom