THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Hi elf! I've checked your posts but haven't commented... Just stopping by to say hello and well done on all the good progress (cane, PT, surviving Texas heat!) . :flwrysmile:

You're plugging along, slow and steady, and we all know it wasn't the hare that won the race. :heehee:

Have another great week! Good things seems to accelerate as you go along.
 
Just wanted to pop by and leave a virtual hug:roseshwr:
This one month out recovery road can seem awfully FLAT so dont let yourself get in to a frustrating funk.

Hope today is a good day.

I have to unload some trucks today with the forecasted high being 96 degrees.:oyvey:
 
Hi @Elf1
Happy one month! Weve had a hot summer here in PA but you've got us beat for sure.
From a 3 month out perspective I can say the recovery road I've seen pictured here is all too true. A lot of convolutions and tangles. Heading into my next in 13 days I'm a little nervous to have the 3 month leg not totally functioning.
By far the most frustrating thing is that stiffness especially after sitting awhile the starting out I look so totally gimpy.
Some of it is my awful left not done hip but some of it is that stiff right new hip.
From a pain perspective it is much better, but complete recovery is farther away than I thought. A smooth normal gait seems such a faraway dream at this point.
But--- do I regret the surgery-- no!
Am i anxious to get the other one done because the pain sucks--- yes! So on along my convoluted path and I wish you ever smoother stepping on your path birthday sis---.:walking:
 
@Cecropia sorry the heat didn't help. I definitely feel different muscles and such freezing up too. It's kind of catch 22, you don't want to do too much but when you sit or lay down to chill, you're stiff when getting back up. Usually goes away with moving so if that's the worst I have to deal with I'm cool!

@Fiona444 yep, actually feeling like the therapist I have totally understands what I'm trying to accomplish. We even took a short walk outside the PT place so she could see me on some uneven surfaces. Was a nice little stroll and we stayed in the shade. Oh and PT said not to bother bringing the walker to therapy anymore, just the cane! Little victories!
:yahoo:
Hard to believe today is one month post surgery! Really surprised at how well I feel. Would definitely do again if I needed to. Would be great if we could figure out how to do away with those first few days though!
:rotfl:
 
@Calgal been watching your progress as well, just haven't commented a lot.

@Mojo333 can't imagine being out unloading trucks or anything in this heat. I do kind of have that in limbo kind of feeling, hoping after follow up with OS on Tuesday I'll have a but more leeway.

@ahipgma 13days can make a huge difference in how you're going to feel by the time you have your next surgery. Sorry complete recovery feels so far out but at least once you're done with this second one you're done! We'll be here rooting you on!
:ok:
 
Oh My Stars :blush:
How did I miss that my Elfy friend was having her One Month Hipversary.
I AM slipping.
Hip Hip Hooray (I know one month is seriously an annoying time in recovery, or it was for me anyway...)
Hugs for continued progress:friends:
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope it was a sunshine, lollipops and rainbows kind of day :wink:
Wishing you a fab weekend!
@Elf1
 
So 1 month ,huh and no walker .You sound quite positive and might I say it elated. I am so happy things are moving so well for you. You deserve a great recovery. That PT has its perks too. I am finally going to walk correctly for once in my life.Have a nice week-end.
 
Jealous reading about folks being able to resume some sort of PT, as I am eager to start up again in a few weeks. I don't get released until 6 weeks out, so I've got a way to go yet, but I do recall from the last hip that once back in PT I felt like my recovery was getting more purposeful and targeted. But right now I'm schlepping along, and doing the best I can. Happy one month anniversary, @Elf1, I am sure it must feel amazing to look back at how you were doing right after surgery and to compare that to how well you're doing now. Are you 100%? No, but you're getting there! I agree with everyone's comments about how darn stiff you feel in the mornings when you first get up (hunching over, stiff and lurchy gait) in the morning or when getting up from a chair. I've still not figured out the best mix of moving and resting but I continue to work on this as, hey, I have a ton o' time on my hands! Have a great day, @Elf1
 
@Elf1 Happy one month anniversary!

It sounds trite but slow but steady does win the race and small milestones sometimes are bigger than they seem.

I think moving from a walker to a cane is a huge step. And finding a good supportive PT to help with your gait is a bonus. We all need to keep looking at progress a week at a time. And I am probably the worst at having any patience. :thumb:
 
Happy one month!! Wonderful you found a good PT. I tried a few times and I always end up in more pain.. so just walking for me!
 
Ya know I am here to tell you that you do bounce outta bed. I did the last few days much to my amazement and you will too. You are doing great. It does get easier --words from the pessimist here.Can you believe all the hurtles you have overcome --with postponing and all the anxiety that goes with that and everything else-bravo Elf1.
 
Ok, had my 5/6 week follow up with the OS this morning. Took x-rays and he said everything looks perfect! He was being silly with me today, asked him if I could drive and he said could you before surgery! Silly man!

Okayed to start doing pool walking for a workout, he thought that was a great idea. Checked my ROM, stretched me a couple ways I didn't know I could go. Gave me a stretch to do at night in bed to help with the limp. Was basically a great visit, we were both happy with my outcome. He told me to go out in the world, keep moving and doing what I've been doing, just try not to overdo it! Come back for a quick check in 6 more weeks.

Interesting thing, I had asked for a temporary handicap parking pass recently as my husband will be taking some classes at the local college and I can't use his parking pass. They gave me a prescription (guess that's how they do it here) and took it and the form to the tax/vehicle license office and they issued me a placard. It is actually a permanent handicap placard, didn't realize I would get issued that but he put on the prescription that it's a permanent disability. Will be nice as I have other OA issues and when I'm having a rough day will surely come in handy.
 
Hi my hippy pal.:wave:
You are doing splendidly and I'm happy to hear all is getting easier.
Continued hugs and well wishes:friends:
 
Imagine a trip to Motor Vehicle ending with a pleasant surprise - that is not normal! I am glad that you will have the placard on hand when needed. Could come in handy when icy, slippery weather rolls back around too. Consider the permanent placard a little bit of recompense for the June/July "double" prep you had to go through to get this hip done!
 
My 6 week check was a milestone for me too, it was a great big sigh of relief as all my restrictions were lifted and it was commonsense and recovery from now on.
So glad for you!
 
Hello @Elf1 Nice surprise at the auto tags place! Glad to catch up on your thread and see you are still steadily headed towards the finish line. I "see" you around on other threads and realized I wasn't current with your actual progress.. you sound mah-velous! :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom