THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Wow - you are very lucky with the parking pass. Here in the UK a bad hip is considered temporary. We can't even get a temporary pass while waiting for surgery. :sad:
 
@Jaycey I know, I was totally amazed that's what the Doc out on the prescription and that the DMV took it like it was so normal. Not going to argue with them though! :wink:
 
Have a question, not sure if anyone has experienced this or not. Was at PT yesterday, doing a pretty easy exercise. Laying on table, lift knee up towards chest (staying within 90 degree on op side), then straighten leg out in the air and bring it down to the table. Doing this on both sides since left is still picking up some slack for the right. Anyway, I had a puzzled look on my face, therapist asked me what was up. I said when I'm doing the left (non-op leg) I can feel it popping. She puts her hand on my hip and has me do a couple more and she feels it too. She basically said don't do that anymore. Well that wasn't a helpful answer. :snork:

I did just read the latest radiology report from when they xrayed my hip at the OS the other day. It does say I have moderate sacroiliac joint osteoarthritis and mild degenerative changes to the left hip. Sure hope this isn't a sign that lefty is going to get stupid on me!
 
@Elf1 Hummm, if it doesn't hurt, maybe it will be okay. I tried what you were doing, no hip popping, but my knee crackles and pops. No pain. I've had these noises for years in my knees and nothing bad has happened yet.
 
Ugh! Hope lefty behaves!! My x-rays also showed some OA on my left hip, but the OS said I've got a lot of mileage left on it. Hopefully he's right. Good thing your PT checked and stopped. I think that's why it's important at first to have very supervised exercise, just for things like that. I'm thinking of some 121 Pilates work because I've become a bit unconfident with moving my body after this experience. :scary:I've babied it so long I'm afraid to undo all my progress by pushing any movement. Keep up the good work,your therapists sound very professional and you're making great progress! :thumb:
 
Hello, I hope you're having a good day so far.
With any luck, if it needs replacing, it's a ways off. An all too common scenario that many of us will face and many have faced. I decided long ago that I'll worry about it when / if the time comes. I can see you having the same attitude, but it may be easier for me to say being over two years out. I'm sure it's the last thing you want to think about right now. So don't :wink:
Have a great night!
@Elf1
 
@Layla,@Cecropia and @Calgal I actually consulted Mr. Google and there's actually a name for it, popping or snapping hip. Since I'm not experiencing any pain with it sounds like I don't need to worry about it and continue doing some light stretches.

@Misscarol sorry you're still having some issues here and there, hopefully everything will settle down for you soon.
 
Sounds like a really good therapist to me, @Elf1, someone who takes concerns seriously and has you stop doing anything that causes a concern. Sorry the therapist is moving away, but I like your approach of seeing how the new one works out but then feeling comfortable to stop and find someone else if it's not a good relationship--a very healthy approach. By the way, my right knee clicks and stutters occasionally, but it's been doing that since before my first surgery so I'm just ignoring it for now, and trying not to borrow trouble! I also have some osteoarthritis in my sacroiliac joint and someplace else down around the pelvic area but for now no real problems so I'll just keep soldiering along. My hope is that once I'm able to do so, I'll be back in PT and light exercise and will be able to stave off any problems that might be lurking. Think positive!
 
Hi @Elf1 My non op hip pops and twangs all day long. If I am walking alone I can hear it clearly like a musical accompaniment :heehee: It has done it for years but no pain. I have been told I will need it replacing at some point but not in my near future. i have heard it is just the tendons snapping and nothing to worry about
 
Well, the snap crackle and pop doesn't sound like it's a bad thing, so best ignored.
Personally, I'd rather hear it in my cereal than hip....if I ate cereal. :heehee:
What did we do without Google? Encyclopedias, haha, remember those?!
I hope you have a wonderful week! :)
@Elf1
 
:hi:
Almost seven weeks out, Elf, the weeks move quickly after a time. At least I felt they did.
I hope you've had a good week and maybe have something special planned over the weekend.

We're sure experiencing some great weather in the Upper Mid-West. Thinking about dragging hubs to dine al fresco somewhere tonight. We can only do that for such a short time it seems. Soon enough it will be too cold. Even when it's not cold it can't be too windy, humid, buggy or rainy. Doesn't always leave a lot of days to enjoy. Gotta jump on them. I'll bet that's a different story down in your neck of the woods.

I hope you enjoy whatever you have on the agenda for the weekend! :)
@Elf1
 
How ya doing elf? Just stopping by to say hi! :wave:. Hope things are going well for you and you're happy with your new PT person. :upright:
 
@Layla and @Calgal did a little shopping this afternoon while hubby worked on a project for his shed. Had one of the clerks at Old Navy take me out when I was there today. The alarm by the door went off and she took off running and about spun me around. She finally came back and apologized and asked if I was ok. And probably all because one of the cashiers forgot to take off a security tag.

Only thing I seemed to buy today was food! Hit the German bakery and got some fresh bread, cheese pretzels and broetchen! Yummy! Hit grocery on the way home for a few things for the house.

Had dinner by candlelight! Of course it wasn't intentional, power went out just as I got back with our takeout.
:rotfl:.

Not sure what to think of new therapist, will give her at least one more session before I decide one way or the other. Didn't find her to be very warm and friendly. She was having a heck of a time with the other lady that she was doing at the same time as me. You could tell the older lady didn't like her or the exercises she was having her do and wanted her regular therapist. New therapist seemed a bit flustered for lack of better word. I think she's the manager of the site and just thought she should have maybe been a bit kinder and gentler. Could just be me! Hope y'all have a great weekend!
 
Sounds like a fun/funny day! :heehee: (In retrospect I'm sure---that aggressive sales person could have caused you a bunch of trouble, but I can't lie, the image you described did make me smile!)

I had a PT that I went to both before and after my back surgery 9 years ago. I did not like her personally at all, but she was such a good therapist, and the things she had me do were helpful, and appropriate. Maybe her drill sergeant demeanor was what I needed, because I did do my exercises regularly--I was kind of afraid of displeasing her. :yikes: But I don't think at this point in my life I'd stay with someone who seemed to have no empathy or interest in me as a person, if I had other options. Do you have a lot of PTs in your area? I think you are smart to reevaluate after another session.

If one chooses to do PT after hip surgery, I think it is critical that you are able to be both comfortable with the person, and assertive, given the possibility of harm being done if you aren't! Glad to see how well you are doing overall.:loveshwr:
 
I totally agree, @Elf1 and @Debru4, with you both. Yes, it is important to find a skilled therapist, and one who has skill AND compassion to work with you. I, too, need a bit of nudging as it brings out the "people pleaser" in me, to have someone who pushes me to do certain exercises that I may not "love" but do find helpful. On the other hand, I also want someone who seems pleased to see me when I arrive, who listens carefully to my input and treats me like a valued customer/client. I think finding a good therapist is critical if PT is to be successful. But I think giving someone a chance is also important, as well as speaking up for yourself if you have concerns about exercises or the individual's approach. You will figure it out, @Elf1 and it seems like otherwise you're doing pretty darn good. I am impressed that you were able to go into a bakery and not buy the place out. Baked goods are definitely my downfall. Sigh. But dinner by candlelight, even if not the plan, sounds fun to me. Happy Sunday!
 
Sheesh, Hit and Run at Old Navy! Sometimes the collateral damage from chasing down criminals simply isn't worth it. On a much more serious level it brings to mind those police chases when innocent people are hurt while they're in pursuit of the bad guys. I'm happy to hear you're alright, Elf!

Love your impromptu romantic dinner by candlelight, even if it was take-out. A change in routine is sometimes fun, especially when unplanned. Did you turn on some Sinatra and take a couple gentle spins with hubs? :heehee:

I hope the therapist proves to be a better fit next time around. If not, there are plenty of them out there.
Happy to hear you're getting out and about and doing well.
Have a great Sunday!
@Elf1
 
Hi Elf1, just checking in here and there to see how your recovery is going. It sounds good that you were able to run two errands in one day. The clothing store experience must have been flustering. So glad your balance was not challenged by it.
The candlelight dinner sounds like a slight adventure on its own. Power outages can make life interesting as long as they do not last long. It’s getting windier here, heralding fall and hurricane season.
So sorry your PT person had to change. It’s wonderful when you can sync with one. Hopefully the next session will be better.
So glad your recovery is going well!
 
@Elf1
Glad you are getting out and shopping. Funny all you bought was food....lol. Sounds like yummy stuff tho.
Wow, can't remember last time I fixed a nice dinner and candlelight, it used to be so romantic, I loved surprising my husband. Boy what happened to those days. :rofsign:
Now takeout and candlelight sounds great, less work.:heehee:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom