Guest viewing is limited

THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Well today is 7 weeks out! Doesn't feel like I'm making a lot of progress but trying to stay patient and give it time. Slow and steady.

I also went walking the other day at our Wal-Mart, was close and air conditioned. :snork:. Wondering if I maybe overdid something or walked weird with my cane, my back on the left side, non-op, has been really sore since around that day. Tried ice, no luck really. Finally started using heat and that seems to calm it down. Thought it might be kidneys protesting all the meds from surgery but now I'm thinking it might be a stressed muscle.

Finally made it to the gym today! :yes!: Got in the pool for the first time in months, felt soooo good! Only did about 20 minutes of water walking, didn't want to overdo it. Totally amazed that I could walk in the water, no limp, no slow motion, just walking!
:walking: For the first time in I can't tell you how long, I didn't have any pain, aches, niggles, zips, zaps, just peaceful calm! I almost cried. The back on my left side didn't even hurt, that's why I'm thinking I strained a muscle or something. Was just so awesome, wanted to stay longer but knew that probably wasn't smart so went home. It lets me know there is light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.
:swim:
 
So good to hear you could get out to the gym and in the pool with no pain when walking in the water. That must have been so relaxing.
 
Hi @Elf1 ! So glad you enjoyed the pool walking - it's a wonderful feeling, isn't it, to have all those aches and pains just melt away. I agree that it's so easy to overdo it though. I am building up the number of lengths and adding in my very simple exercises.
I think you are doing really well at only seven weeks. :thumb:
It seems to me that every week or so a new ache/pain/twinge pops up to replace the last one! All part of the process, I tell myself! :SUNsmile:
 
For the first time in I can't tell you how long, I didn't have any pain, aches, niggles, zips, zaps, just peaceful calm! I almost cried. The back on my left side didn't even hurt, that's why I'm thinking I strained a muscle or something. Was just so awesome, wanted to stay longer but knew that probably wasn't smart so went home.
Oh this made my morning. :happydance:
So nice to hear you got a "no pain" experience and wise that you didnt allow yourself to overdo.:yes:

Onward and upward:egypdance:
 
So glad the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. 7 weeks seems to be a lag time for most around here. Healing is happening, it’s just less obvious. The pool truly is heaven. Looking forward to getting back there this week. Hope you have a good week @Elf1 and many more pain free moments in the weeks ahead.
 
@Elf1 … so happy to hear of your wonderful 7 week report...it is amazing to look back and see how everything hurt and now you felt absolutely no pain in the water! This is truly a miracle surgery and we all can share in each others celebrations and encourage one another when there are setbacks and slow recoveries. Cheers!!!
 
For the first time in I can't tell you how long, I didn't have any pain, aches, niggles, zips, zaps, just peaceful calm! I almost cried.
Oh boy, can I relate, Elf. I had one of those moments and I did cry. Not ugly cry like her > :bawl:
but a definite eyes welled up with tears. It happened when I got out of my vehicle for the first time post op and could lower my leg without manually lifting it, followed by an excruciating pain as I straightened it out. There was NO PAIN! There was much Thank You, Jesus, murmurings going on and I wanted to do it over again to make sure it wasn't just my imagination.

It's such a wonderful and miraculous feeling to realize that debilitating and often excruciating pain of a diseased hip is no more! I'm forever grateful that we live in a era that allows us this second chance.
I'm so happy for you Elf1. Your words made me tear up because I can so relate.
Great update! May it only get better :)
@Elf1
 
Oh, the gym, how wonderful, @Elf1 I am not a pool girl, but I do love the gym and can well imagine how exciting it felt to venture into those hallowed halls (!!) again! And so lovely to be able to move through the water for 20 minutes with no aches, pains or weird sensations. You really are getting there--hurray for you! Such a fun and inspiring post to read!
 
Pool walking sounds like it did you the world of good! My physio suggested using heat to relieve strained muscles which I hadn’t considered as was so focused on ice. She said heat encouraged blood to the muscles which would aid healing. I am so happy that you can now see light at the end of the tunnel!
 
Morning ladies, well almost afternoon! Thought I would mix it up yesterday and got on the bike at the gym. Didn't realize their life cycles are at way different angles than the recumbent bikes at PT. Wasn't a good workout, paid for it rest of day. Think I might just lay low today but the pool sounds so appealing. And considering my back/side is screaming it might be helpful to go for a while just to get a break from the pain.

Shot a note to the OS nurse on their portal last night explaining the pain. She answered back this morning and said to keep applying heat and if it's still bothering me next week when I have new patient appointment with my new Doc to bring it up with him and then if I continue to have pain to schedule with the OS. I'm already scheduled with him for the 24th. Told my hubby that I really think it's somehow related to my hip. I've noticed if I stand on my un-op leg only I don't really have any pain. If I stand (not easy) on my op leg without any aids it really ramps up the pain. Also if I put pressure on my cane, really lean into it, it ramps up the pain. Last night laying in bed I brought my arm down without thinking and about shot through the headboard when it touched my back/side.

Wish I could remember exactly when this started kicking up last week. Kind of wondering if it's somehow related to the therapist straightening my SI joints. Who knows? Have a good day!
 
Eh gads sounds so painful. Is it in your glutes area? Sciatica,piriformis muscle.Might be related to the hip and all the activity. Do pain meds help? Just reading this makes me feel jittery--the pain part. Wishing you no more pain. Hope they get this for you at new doc. I had sciatica and the piriformis syndrome and PT helped this--actually went away.
 
@Elf1 I too have pain in buttock area that started 5 weeks ago. Maybe a little different place than yours. After doing more and walking more. Good luck with your OS, mine was not so helpful, I was hoping for more of a diagnosis than
(give it more time, you are in healing stages). He said 9 months to a year.:dubious:. That long???:holysheep:Sorry you are hurting, but you are not alone....
 
Oh @elf! From the “high” of 20 perfect minutes to the frustration of new pain cropping up! If your release from pain happened once, it is certainly possible. I hope you’ll get feedback soon from your doctors about what’s amiss, and in the meantime, you can be a bit more conservative until you sense you’re back on track.
 
Well went to the gym a and hit the pool today. While it felt good it wasn't quite as good as the previous visit but I'll take it. Even got hit the whirlpool, not a fan of them but thought the warm water and jets would help. Felt fantastic while I was in but back started yelling as soon as I got out. Pain got so bad I could hardly walk, so weird that I touch down with left foot and no pain on that side. Touch down with right foot and pain on left side goes nuts.

Decided I can't take this much longer so called the new Doc office while sitting in the car, just in case they said come on over. Not that lucky but the very sweet lady on the phone looked over all the schedules for tomorrow and said if I call at 0730 tomorrow when they open they should be able to get me in with one of the PAs or Nurse practitioner. I'll take anyone at this point. Will let you know what I find out tomorrow, wish me luck!
 
@Elf1 I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much pain now. You are lucky to be able to get an appointment with someone so soon though. I hope they have some answers for you or at least can give you reassurance.
 
Hugs to you elf! :friends:You don't deserve more pain. Hoping the docs can get to the bottom of this (no pun intended) pronto so you can get back to the happy elf we all know and love! :loveshwr:
 
Oh, I’m so sorry you are having such a hard time with your back. I can relate some. As soon as I started back to work, the pain in my back started in. According to the X-rays, I have some degenerative changes going on in the SI and lumbar but my right (op) side was really plaguing me even before surgery along with the iliopsoas. Since I had the injection last week in my IP that, thankfully and logically, has improved as well. I had to wait a while before the OS decided to do it but I’m glad he did. I hope you get the answers you deserve. Ongoing pain is what we’re hoping to move away from, right? God bless. Will be waiting to hear. :praying: ❤️
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom