Guest viewing is limited

THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Hi, @Elf1, congrats on your three weeks of recovery, and sounds like you're slowly but surely getting back into the swing of the "real world". Doesn't it feel nice, as if you're over the hump can see full recovery out there? After my two week post op appointment this morning I'm feeling super positive and happy, and for me this is sort of a big milestone where the worst is over and now just the continued slow trudge, but more confident, along the recovery road. Happy Tuesday!
 
Happy Tuesday @Elf1
It's crazy when we look forward to PT to get us out of the house, lol.
I hope you have a good session. At least it's a sign you're on your way.
Have a good one!
 
Thanks everyone, doing ok here, getting a but antsy and have to remind myself to take it slow. Will be glad when I can drive again, really not used to having to rely on others.

Got our paperwork squared away with the new primary care physician and just need to drop off the request to transfer our records to our retiring doc. Hubby will do that tomorrow when he goes to another doc appointment that is next door.

Just had my big boss call to check up on me. Was nice of him but had to laugh, he wasn't even sure I had already had my surgery. Think he was trying to get a feel for when I'm coming back to work. Told him I wouldn't know how much longer my recovery would be (even though doc signed FMLA papers with like 26 Sep) until I see the surgeon on the 13th. Pretty much decided that I'm not going back unless they move me closer to home and actually give me a useful position. Pretty sure that's not going to happen so will ride out my FMLA so the insurance carries through just so I don't have to go through major hassles switching to just my other insurance even though they still seem to be paying for the majority of stuff. Crazy!.
 
@Elf1 I remember wanting to drive again too. It was nice being driven everywhere for awhile, but was nice to get behind the wheel again. I could drive as soon as I was off my Norco, but I did not drive right away even after I was off.

Hummm, sounds like you might be retiring....?:happydance:
That would be nice...if you do.
Your recovery sounds like it's going very well.:flwrysmile:
 
Oh to be able to retire.. I could do it and keep myself busy. But alas that is not in my near future unless I won the lottery. I think I would have to buy a ticket for that, wouldn't I? Oh but I could dream...:roseshwr:
 
What is FMLA?
The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) is a United States labor law requiring covered employers to provide employees with job-protected and unpaid leave for qualified medical and family reasons.
 
Great report, as usual, @Elf1 I know it might be an illusion, but you always sound so calm and grounded in your posts, I don't know why but it just comes across somehow and I imagine you as this relaxed personality. Wow, facing retirement maybe? As someone who is there already, I think you'll take to it pretty easily, I'm guessing. Sure, there is a transitional period, where it feels a bit weird, especially if you've worked outside the home for most of your adult life, but you've almost gone through a significant transitional period already with hip surgery and recovery, so you'll probably not stress out too much about the prospect and segue easily into retired life. I assume that financially you're able to handle this and that's really the key. Next year this time you'll wonder how you ever worked, and still managed to get anything done!
 
@Cecropia, @Fiona444, @julesglass, @Mojo333 and @Barbaraj Morning ladies! Thanks for the definition Mojo, forget sometimes that I'm talking with folks in other countries.

I'm trying to stay as chill as possible as I know getting worked up about stuff is not good for my recovery. Have also found it's quite a bit easier to do that and have patience when you're not in tons of pain.

Yes, thinking of retiring, or at least semi retiring. Tired of working full time and the added commute to my current job location just seems to leave me with no time. Fortunately we have managed to position ourselves so that we can try retirement out. May look for something to do part time but will cross that bridge when it comes. I know the bosses would let me come back part time for a while when my leave ends but don't want the commute and really need something that challenges me and makes me feel like I'm contributing. Pretty much before I left it was busy work that wasn't used for anything.

Probably just going to chill today, think I'm having some allergy issues. Been sneezing my head off so took some allergy meds and now I have a huge headache. Laying on the couch being a bum.
 
Is your commute far? I dont care if I ever drive again. I guess I am getting used to how it will be in old age. I dont need to drive here as the transport services are the best and I have everything within reach and of course, the mayor is making it difficult to maneuver around the city with a car and we have bixi bikes on every corner and construction,construction,construction.But I understand the independence. I just get it another way. Used to drive all around town for this pet-service thing with a time limit. The carpal tunnel is madness too behind the wheel. My hubby just lives in his car and could not do without though.I sold my car.
I taught TESL online for a couple of years and may resume that again. There are many things to do from home. I understand the usefulness thing--the contribution--understand a lot. So happy to hear of your progress.
 
I decided to reduce my working hours this year. I now work 3 days a week which really is lovely. They are 8 hour days and in quite a stressful role but it makes a huge difference to have time to do things I enjoy rather than just work all the time. I must say I would love to do something more meaningful though! I do hope your allergies subside. One huge fear of mine was sneezing when I first had the op :bignono:
 
Hello @Elf1
Always enjoy reading your updates. You sound like you are doing really well. Hope you figure out some meaningful work if it’s time to make a change. I found work that I could do from home a few years ago. The daily commute was getting old. Hope you find a great fit for you.

Driving! Hope you get your get out of jail card soon. It is a real mood lifter. Take care!
 
Hey, @Elf1 "laying on a couch and being a bum" sounds like just the ticket for today. Sorry about the allergies. I don't have any (well, except for a newly discovered one for surgical tape!) but I know they can make one pretty miserable. Hope the allergy medicine does the trick, and allergies get under control and your headache fades. May the rest of your day be better than the start. Happy Thursday!
 
@mikeycat my commute to my job is usually 45 minutes each way across the military post I work on. Have to factor in the occasional here of cattle, Texas is free range, and the military convoys that tend to pop up when you least want them to. Unfortunately around here public transportation is pretty much non existent.

@Cecropia, @Fiona444, @Fit4Family and @Barbaraj the allergies seemed to be a minor issue, feeling better today. Sometimes we just get so much junk in the air that everybody starts sneezing. Yesterday was just kind of an off day, had aches and pains where I haven't really had much to speak of. Sleep was a no go last night, caught a few hours this morning then had to get up for PT. She put me on the recumbent bike with no tension, did 9 minutes though she originally only said I needed to do 6. Figured I'd keep pedalling while waiting on her to come back to me. Actually felt kind of good. Did a few stretches, on my side even! Oh baby! She said I could try to sleep my unop side with pillow between legs and I said I'd build some in front and back so I don't roll wrong. So excited, can't wait to go bed tonight! :sleeep:

Worked on my balance as she still wants me to continue on the walker for a while longer. Not thrilled about that but will try to be patient. Still using the cane in the house a little so I keep working my form. All in all not a bad OR session. Hope everyone is having a good day! :loveshwr:
 
@Elf1 Sounds like a struggle to get to work, I can see why you might consider retirement.
Your PT is going well. Hope sleeping on your non OP side tonight is comfortable. I was so glad when I could use mine. I still keep a pillow between my legs tho I don't have to anymore. Without it felt weird so I'm keeping it for awhile longer.
 
That commute must be a real drag and after surgery everything comes into real focus,huh?It is wearisome at this point I bet and you must feel the weight of it now.Maybe a new home career or retirement is in the teacup.
But gee that sounds like you are doing fantastic. I know that excited feeling about going to bed when you feel you may have found the way to sleep. For me it was the week-end in the country and I was dreaming, daytime that is, of it. So many things everyone says resonates as we all go through this together.
 
Back
Top Bottom