BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Eeek’s recovery thread.

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Eeek, Feb 24, 2018.

1. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I know what you mean about being bored. I had coloring books, didn't want to do that. Books, couldn't understand what I read. TV, I'd fall asleep in the middle of a show. But, falling asleep is good for you, so if you do far asleep, just know that your body is doing what it needs to do to help recovery from this surgery.

Before long you'll be getting a little more energy, then a little more, and then a lot more! You just have to get through this now. Try to enjoy your convalescence! Before long you'll be wishing for a few boring days!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I too was very bored and often fell asleep watching TV, but I just couldn’t concentrate on anything. Can you send someone to the market with a list instead of making the trip yourself?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    @KarriB - my husband has been really good about shopping. And we have home delivery of groceries if we want. My trip on Saturday was to the farmer‘s market. It wasn‘t much, really, but combined with the rest of the stuff it was a bit much. I was happy to get out of the house, though.

My house is cleaned weekly....not by me. I load the dishwasher, and the washer, dryer but I don‘t have to fold or sort laundry. I don‘t really have to do anything if I don‘t want to.

It‘s frustrating. I want to do more than I can. I‘m sure you‘ve all been through this.

4. SusieB

SusieB junior member

I’m with you ... it is boring and then throw in a couple setbacks! I think my TKR would be not bad if the swelling/Fluid under the incision would go away!
    I too have knit some dish cloths.... on Number 3 for my 3rd week!! Have been watching movies on Netflix and walking around outside and inside!
    Wishing you all the Best!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SherrieT

SherrieT senior

I really know what you mean. It seems like I should be able to do more than what I can. And that the knees should start hurting less. It just seems like it has been so much longer than it really has been. I'm ready for the recovery to be over with but in actuality it has just started. Now that's depressing

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    I think my swelling is decreasing. My knee looks a little wrinkly, baggy. Or at least my scar does. A little puckered in spots. Isn’t that a lovely description? It’s ok. My knees have never been my most attractive feature. Better they should work.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    @SherrieT - it is a long process full of ups and downs. But I really believe it will get better. And yes, your recovery is just starting. Are you also getting hammered with more winter nonsense? That’s got to be depressing in and of itself.

Once you get through this, you will be done! I’m going to repeat the whole thing in October/November if l can. Ho ho ho. Merry Christmas. So this year I can say that for my birthday I got a left knee and a right one for Christmas! Hahaha!

@SusieB -
    I really need to learn to knit. I can crochet, but knitting escapes me. In the US, you have much better Netflix. Not as good in Europe. :-(. But I have audiobooks.

8. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh, you bet we’ve all been through it. :bored: After the first rough, brand new knee weeks of TKR surgery come... the dog days. You describe them perfectly: you want to do more, you think you should by now be able to do more, but your knees are still new and not up to it, and your body is still experiencing that miserable energy drain and brain fog. So you persist. Nothing to do, really, but sleep a lot and try to find something for your poor, bored brain to do. :tiredwheel:

This stage is probably the #1 reason people overdo exercise. They think there has to be some way out of this tedious recovery. But there isn’t a “work harder” way out. There’s only time and patiently working with your knee, not against it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    Today is 4 weeks with my new knee.
    Many good things - I walk around the house unaided, do a number of adl - cooking, laundry, etc.....not too much. Pain is really manageable - just taking long acting paracetamol (tylenol). Mostly stiffness. I sleep well for the most part. My swelling is down - my scar is not tight, and my leg is not swollen. Leg feels solid and stable.

Yeah, I’m bored, still tired.

Hope to go out next week for non medical stuff, wear normal clothes and even make up.

I see my os April 16 for follow up. Going to ask him about doing the other knee in October.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SusieShoes

What a positive report! Yes, wear normal clothes and enjoy short trips out and about. Wearing your normal clothes will do wonders for your spirit, not to mention they’ll be more exciting to plan and carry off, so relieve some of your boredom. Mr. Shoes knew I was on the fast track to recovery when I ordered two sets of athletic joggers and tanks for walking the neighborhood. I’d lost weight, so needed new ones and, besides, looking nice makes those daily walks more fun. :running:

October sounds like a fine time to plan a TKR.

• Like Like x 2
  11. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

After the first month I fought the boredom by going out for lunch or breakfast, but I always elevated at the restaurant. Sometimes it was after a drs appt or PT appt., however it helped to feel a bit normal. I wasn’t able to concentrate enough to read for the first 3 months, but I could watch TV or movies easily which helped pass time.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Beckadeez

Beckadeez senior

Getting some freedom is wonderful, even if just going outside. It really helps, emotionally. Enjoy your outing, however long or short it is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    Just had PT - flexion was 100, and I had to stand up from a seated position as many times as I could in 60 seconds. Got 18. it didn‘t hurt, I didn‘t push and I was pleasantly surprised.

Simple stretching exercises, and that‘s all.

Tomorrow, I have to go to the dentist, so I‘ll drive to the train station, and Thursday, I will visit friends an hour away on the train. Will elevate.

14. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wow, that’s a lot. I don't think I could do that now! Take care today. It will be interesting to see if this affects you later.

I would think if you had gotten up and down from a chair 18 times in the course of the day, that would be great. But 60 seconds?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  15. SusieShoes

Don't be surprised if new exercises, or activities, make your knee sore later in the day. You know the drill for that. :) Hope the visit with friends goes well. It's great to see you up and about and having fun.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks. So far so good, tho i‘ve been elevating and all that since I came home 7 hours ago. Will take two paracetamol later (usual night ritual). I was tired earlier, so I sat in my chair and crocheted all afternoon.

I wish I was going somewhere other than the dentist tomorrow!v

• Like Like x 1
  17. sistersinhim

Boy, can I relate! I wait as long as I can before I go!

Are you having cleaning or anything that might cause a abrasion. Many dentists and OS require antibiotics before treatment.

18. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    @sistersinhim

I had a filling that fell out so she‘s going to take a look. Might not do anything till April. It doesn‘t hurt, it‘s just rough.

Not too painful after PT glad to say. Just a bit tired.

19. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

That’s great, I was worried about you!

• Like Like x 1
  20. sistersinhim

Oh good! Hopefully, it'll be fine!