TKR Eeek’s recovery thread.

Check wit your Dr and dentist. It would be hard to wait very long with a missing filling.
 
My GP said that i could skip the anti thrombosis tab the day I see the dentist. Going to call the dentist and see what she says, and when I can get in to see her.

I did have the rest of my staples removed today. That was exciting.
 
I bet your knee feels a lot better with those staples out! Mine sure did!
 
I’m so glad I had stitches rather than staples! :eeeuw:
 
Staples removed is a good thing! I found it hard to even look at the wound with staples. :bolt:
 
I thought I looked like Frankenstein!
 
Ok, so it’s not the most attractive look I’ve ever had, but I was surprised at how much it failed to gross me out.
I even watched the doctor remove the staples.
 
@Eeek My husband decided I needed a zipper closure so I'd never again need staples removed (after watching how hard it was on me, he knew I needed to avoid that in the future), plus if I had a zipper closure the OS could easily go back in if ever needed. So, he gave me a zipper closure on my knee! I'll attach a picture of the new knee closure he gave me. :rotfl:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Eeek’s recovery thread.
    Knee Zipper.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 241
So glad everything is going... Good for you!
Keep us posted!!!

SusieB
 
I overdid it today. I went with my husband to the market and walked around for half an hour. It was nice to go out on a non medical appointment.

Then, I did a lot of prep for cooking, with probably too much standing. In between I did ice and elevate for 3 - 4 hours, but I am tired! And my muscles in my operated leg are starting to hurt in new ways....I think some of it is the it band and some of it is my quad. I think I might take my paracetamol and go to bed.

Tomorrow will be spent in my chair with my cryocuff.
 
For me, riding an electric cart at the store is a must. I used to believe I’d never use one, but it no longer bothers me. I’m not going to suffer after a much needed outing. Maybe you could try it.
 
I could not bend enough to use the riding cart for a long time. By the time I could, I could handle the walk.
 
I overdid it today. I went with my husband to the market and walked around for half an hour. It was nice to go out on a non medical appointment.

Then, I did a lot of prep for cooking, with probably too much standing. In between I did ice and elevate for 3 - 4 hours, but I am tired! And my muscles in my operated leg are starting to hurt in new ways.
That was really too much, too soon. Try not to make a habit of it.

It might be a good idea to re-read this article:
Activity progression for TKRs
 
Oh no. Please baby that knee of yours for the next few days. Until you heal another month or so, you really should just the motorized cart for everything that isn't a really short shopping trip.
 
Thanks, everyone. I had a good night‘s sleep, plan to chill my knee (ice and rest) today.

Big surprise, woke up with rather less pain than yesterday. And snow, but weather is bizarre everywhere.

Unfortunately, there are no electric carts where I live. Stores are not big enough, and aisles are crowded. But it‘s ok.

My next outing is Wednesday and I‘m planning it to minimize the stress.
 
I've arrived late to your recovery thread but I'm enjoying seeing what must be one of the better recoveries. I'll follow yours now and hope it continues to be a textbook, trouble-free case.
 
I’ll go out on a limb and predict you’ll be seeing more of those mornings with less pain. :) They happen increasingly often as recovery moves forward, especially if, like you, people are being attentive to their knee’s reactions to activities. It’s a long journey that becomes more scenic (i.e. active and fun) as it goes along.

I never used an electric cart, though they’re everywhere here. On my first post-surgery trip to the grocery store I thought I might try one, but Mr. Shoes dissuaded me. He argued, correctly, that I was less dangerous without one. :snork:

Hope your next outing is a good one!
 
@Oomworthy - I am trying to be really careful with lots and lots of rest, as per bone smart recs. I‘ve been lucky that the pain hasn‘t been bad. And just lucky in general with a good surgeon. I think it‘s better than the pre surgery knee, so I‘m still comparing. I hope yours goes well too!

@SusieShoes - I would be scary in an electric cart. And, thank you for the encouragement.
 
Last edited:
Convalescence is boring. So far I‘ve iced my knee for two hours, crocheted and finished a book (audio book). I seem to move from chair to a walk around the flat and back to icing.

Soon it will be time to ice again.

I‘m in the between phase. Not quite alert enough to do lots of things, still tired, still needing naps, but then occasionally going stir crazy.

I was so ambivalent about the recliner, but it has been a great thing.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom