TKR Eeek’s recovery thread.

And the stiffness! It is impressive!

Yeah. :nah: It is rather amazing in its own “I could really do without this” way. Be prepared for stiffness to hang around a while and become something of a shapeshifter as your knee heals. It goes away in time, and not all at once. It’s a gradual departure.
 
Welcome to your brand new, baby knee. You will love it, but if you don't treat it well, it will let you know and you'll be really sorry!
 
Going home this morning, going to sleep in my chair with a cold water cryocuff (no icing is the advice here). No rest in hospitals. Tired, overall pleased with result.

Going to baby the knee, for sure.
 
Yes, if you keep in mind that your knee is an infant it's easier to deal with it being a fretful thing. A little exercise (at first) and it complains. You bend it a little, it complains. It wants to be pampered, poor thing, and taken care of. It makes itself heard, and often. Eventually, though, it gets around to shutting up and being a knee again.

I'm glad you get to use a nice cold cuff. Icing was my best friend during recovery. It feels so good! I'm sure you will love spending time with your cold water cuff. :roseshwr:
 
Well, I‘m home. Just slept for 3 hours in my own bed. No wonder you need drugs in hospitals. Beds are awful. Going to recline and cool soon. Might have to sleep a bit more first though.
 
Sleeping is good for you. You are healing more while asleep, so get as much as you can!
 
All those naps will assist your healing. Being home is such a blessed relief. You will feel so much more relaxed and in control. Seeing that you can fend well for yourself will also boost your spirits.
 
I really am astonished. My pain is not bad, just on paracetamol and diclofenac every 8 hours with a big fat omeprazole to start the day. Not too much swelling, using cold water compress and elevation.

Starting to have muscle pains and twinges but it’s ok. Sleep is pretty good. I walk around the apartment every hour or so, sometimes without crutches. Today I loaded the washer.

Knee is very stable.

I am really disappointed in the cryocuff cannister. Stupid thing leaks out the bottom, and unimpressed with their customer service.

So I might find an alternate cold compress (no ice).
 
If you wrap an ice pack in a few layers of cloth, or insert the layers (such a kitchen towels, etc.) between the compress and your skin, it is merely cold, not freezing. You can totally adjust the temperature. :)

You could also just refrigerate the ice packs.

Glad to hear you're doing so well! I too was surprised by the pain being less than I'd feared. There was still pain, but overall it wasn't that bad most of the time. The main thing is to stay on top of it and not let the pain get bad in the first place, if possible.
 
Congrats on being done with the surgery and home.
 
I’m experimenting. Stopped the diclofenac (3 x 50mg/ day). Am just on paracetamol. Was really hating the stomach upset even with 40mg omeprazole. My pain is very little. If my pain increases, I will put it back in the med rotation. Is there a particular benefit to an NSAID at this point with otherwise good pain control?

Had a nice nap in the recliner, a little cold wrap and now I’m going to sleep soon - could not sleep last night. Just restless.

Been walking around, lots of daily living. Our flat is all on a single floor, including laundry so there’s lots of opportunities for walking about and simple stuff to do. I can just concentrate on healing.
 
I’m experimenting. Stopped the diclofenac (3 x 50mg/ day). Am just on paracetamol. Was really hating the stomach upset even with 40mg omeprazole. My pain is very little. If my pain increases, I will put it back in the med rotation. Is there a particular benefit to an NSAID at this point with otherwise good pain control?
Good move to give up the Diclofenic! Those NSAIDS can cause severe gastric irritation, even bleeding. Since you were having symptoms, you were wise to stop taking it.

I think that NSAIDs are over-rated and over-prescribed. They aren't the harmless little wonder drugs the manufacturers would have us believe. In addition to increasing the risk of bleeding, they can also increase your risk of developing heart disease:
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

Because of another medical condition, I am not allowed to take NSAIDs. I've had three knee replacements and had excellent recoveries, without taking any NSAIDs.

You can help to reduce the normal inflammation that is a result of surgery by icing and elevating your knee.

If you feel you need further pain relief, perhaps you could ask for a prescription for Tramadol. It's a synthetic opioid that is much less strong than the heavy-duty opiates and it can be taken in combination with Paracetamol (Tylenol/Acetaminophen).
 
Thanks @Celle

I knew about the heart stuff too, and that made me think again. Also read Josephine’s excellent summary of meds. Will ask about Tramadol if the need arises. Not sure why I do not have more pain. It’s good, of course. I suppose I’ve been resting.

I have been doing elevating with my cryocuff. And that seems to help. My docs are not fans of icing, but cold water is ok. I see my GP in a week for staple removal and we can discuss meds.

I was so afraid of this for so long, and it’s so much better than I expected.
 
Our flat is all on a single floor, including laundry
My house is like that, too. It’s long and a little narrow. The kitchen is near an end, with a “circle” as in, walk in the kitchen, then the morning room,to the family room, then to the kitchen again where I can keep doing that or go on to the dining room then living room. It’s a great house to walk in.

The downside is that I almost never have to do stairs, so I still can’t do them. I have 2 steps from the garage into the house, but the “step” is a cement block that came with the house and it’s too high for my operated leg to step up on. It’s very rare that I have to do steps other than that one. I can handle a small curb, though. And because I don’t do them often enough, I do not like the way my leg feels when I step up on a regular height step. It’s just really weird.

I guess I should just keep doing that step and over time it will get better.
 
We live in an apartment complex of “terrace apartments”, flats built into a hill. Big old concrete jungle, but spacious and convenient. There are stairs and lifts into the garage below and to the hill above. Some of the staircases are interior, and when it warms up a bit, I will practice on those. But it’s been snowing the past few days....no desire to venture out!
 
At least my one step, high as it is, is in the garage. Could be cold, but still inside.

I would love to replace that block with 2 shorter steps, but that would interfere with driving the car into the garage. They didn’t situate the door between the house and garage well.
 
More boring news. But boring is good in this case. Went to PT, where I just had intake, and walking with crutches, measuring flexion and extension. Back today, but I do not believe creating pain will be involved.

A unintended consequence of this is that my German will improve. Who knew there was no word for “ache“ in German.....have to use dull pain.

My staples come out Friday. I am so happy....the tape at the top of my incision is itching like crazy. Another German word learned! I really hope my GP is good at this.

Pain wise, it’s relatively little. I’m doing fine on paracetamol (long acting 2 x 665mg every 8 hours). The muscles in my operated leg feel tired and achy sometimes, and while I have little trouble lifting that leg, it still feels heavy. A bit of swelling in the operated leg too.

Sleep is good too. I am tired at night and sleep a full 6-7 hours without waking.

I think I might not be having much pain because I’m being very careful too. Just walking around the flat, light cooking, loading the wash but lots of elevating and resting, cold water compresses. Bonesmart is so helpful in stressing that point. I’m also being careful because I am on an anti thrombosis agent for another 4 weeks and I need to be extra careful I don’t fall.

I’m still tired though, to be expected. I do not have nearly the brain fog I expected from the anesthetic, to the extent that I’d do the general again, all things being equal.

Anyway, if this continues along this path, I think I’ll have the other knee done in October so I can start next year with a matched set.
 
Good report!

I had general anesthesia, also, and I have no complaints.

I have low back issues and did not want a spinal and the anesthesiologist was fine with that.
 
You will be so glad to get those staples out! You'd be surprised how much they pull your skin and afterwards that pulling is gone! What a relief! Being careful is really being smart! A fear of a fall is always a good thing to be conscious of.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom