BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Donna' s Recovery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by donnag1108, Dec 9, 2018.

1. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

United States United States
    @kneeper oh yes. I lie down and rest s much as possible. I did some off for about 20 minutes yesterday and even just that short nap made a difference. I know this will pass. I've had serious insomnia for many years but I have meds for that and was sleeping very well before surgery but I can't take them while taking the pain meds. I'm grateful for my fairly uneventful recovery so far. Sleep will come it's just tiring.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Denny39

Denny39 junior member

Hi @donnag1108
    I had my Left TKR on12/10, so you are 6 days ahead of me. Sounds like in spite of the ups and downs, you are making good progress and are under good care. That’s good. Your pain when bending is probably well within the normal range. I have been told that I am making very good progress, with 120 degrees flexion at this point. But bending even a little but is still painful. That has concerned me somewhat, but I am assured it will go away eventually. It would seem from what I have been told, and have read, that pain has a lifespan of 12-15 weeks as an average. ALL of us have had many enexpected surprises post-op. For me, the worst was lack of sleep. I never even considered that possibility.

You said you bruised very little. My whole leg looked like a color-by-number project for some who loves Black and Blue. And I don’t bruise easily! But slowly, very slowly it seems, things are drifting in the right direction. They will for you as well.

3. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

Hi @Denny39. Overall I am happy with my recovery. I have PT today so I will get my measurements. Fortunately my Doctor is not hung up on numbers but rather good steady progress. My bend is becoming less painful and more just uncomfortable. It was at 85 at PT last week. That's awesome you are at 120!! Your are so right in that this is a journey full of surprises but I'm so optimistic about the future and that awful arthritic pain is gone! With the bruising even my surgeon and PT was surprised as I virtually had almost none. Small wonders!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Denny39

Denny39 junior member

Good! Slow, steady progress is best. Less painful and more just uncomfortable is a good way to describe it. Unfortunately, some level of pain still persists, and probably will for a while. But it is reassuring to be able to see notable progress as we move forward. It is interesting, the distinguishable difference between pre-op arthritic pain, and post-op surgical pain. The arthritic pain was getting worse, but the surgical pain is (slowly) subsiding.
    My first heel slide was a quite painful 70 degrees or so. Slow, steady, progress. Keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 1
  5. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

Well PT most definitely pushed me to the point of pain today. I am not sure about returning. Good news is my bend, unaided by PT is at 90. I'm happy with that. I have to say the minute I mentioned pain he stopped and reminded me to let him know if something hurts versus being uncomfortable. I also took the advice I got here and did not take pain meds beforehand.

6. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

3 am. Hello insomnia! On the upside I just slept 3 hours and I will take it. My wonderful huge sofa has become my salvation. Little did I know when we got it how much I would need it. I can't sleep in my bed at all now. When we got it in the summer I told my fiance it was way too big. Ha! The wonderful man must have esp!! Oh well his reward for being such an amazing caretaker is getting to enjoy our comfy bed all to himself for awhile. None of this has made me regret my decision. On the contrary, I can FEEL the healing whereas before it was just pain with no end in sight. Good morning fellow travelers!

• Like Like x 1
  7. grandma chris

grandma chris senior

Canada Canada
    Hi @donnag1108, another insomniac here! I've developed a stinking cold and just got woken up by a coughing fit. Too bad I was having a decent sleep! Have a good day but really I'm hoping for a little more sleep now

8. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

@grandma chris ughh!! I personally think the universe should grant us a pass on any other issues until we heal! I hope you get more sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

Woohoo I went back to sleep for a couple hours! It doesn't take much to make a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sleep is so wonderful during this recovery! And when you are sleeping you're actually healing more! Another good reason to catch some ZZZs!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. grandma chris

grandma chris senior

Canada Canada
    I did get another couple of hours sitting up. Naps today I guess!

12. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

Ditching my walker for a cane today and going to get my nails done finally! Excited to get out and do an activity I enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
  14. sistersinhim

Enjoy those pretty new fingernails! It feels so good to get out and do normal things.

• Like Like x 1
  15. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

Hope it's ok to post this. So nice to get out and get my nails done and now I'm exhausted but it's a good tired!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. sistersinhim

How pretty. I bet that felt good! How did you knee do sitting all that time?

17. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Lovely nails and your ring is pretty!

I had to have my rings cut off 2 weeks before surgery. I’d worn them for 41 years and never had them resized. It seemed that part of my finger never really gained weight like the rest of me did, so they were only occasionally tight, but usually felt fine.

I couldn’t get my rings off, and my attempts caused quite a bit of swelling. At my pre op class the nurse said they would tape them if I wanted, but I decided that rings that difficult to get off were not in my best interest, so I went to a jeweler and had them cut off.

Several months later I had them resized.

18. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

@sistersinhim the sitting like that got to be a bit much near the end but all in all not too bad. Definitely stiff!.

Oh @Jockette bummer about your rings! It's really funny and even my doctor is a bit surprised but overall swelling has not been bad for me at all. My incision looks older then it is too and I had no bruising.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I didn’t have any bruising, either, but I had a partial, so a little less trauma.

• Like Like x 1
  20. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

Seems to be 3am is the magic time for my new knee to wake up and I have learned it's in charge. Did string together about 5 hours of sleep this evening. Hoping to get more in a bit.

• Like Like x 1