TKR Donna' s Recovery

@grandma chris I sure did! Got another 3 hours. May try for a nap in a bit. My little outing yesterday wore me out. Sooner or later the body wins I think and just takes over.
 
I have done nothing but sleep off and on all day which I am so grateful for. Someone mentioned to me here my body would eventually decide I had to sleep and I guess that is today. I am still amazed at how tired I get with virtually no activity. Considering how crazy busy my normal life is it's pretty humbling. Hope all of us are having a decent day.
 
I am still amazed at how tired I get with virtually no activity
It’s not “no activity” it’s a body working very hard to heal the extreme trauma that this surgery causes to your body.

Just like taking things slow and easy and resting a lot is not “doing nothing” but giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal.

Enjoy that sleep!!!
 
@donnag1108

Been sleeping most of the day myself. Seems like this day of sleep happens every 5-6 days, and I’m very grateful too.

I like the idea of this sleep being time that the body is working on recovery.

Here’s hoping the sleep really helps everything and has some lasting effects!
 
Good Morning

I am 5 weeks out and concerned that I am still in enough pain to need narcotics. I know we are all different but can anyone give me an idea if they needed tgese meds at this stage or longer?
 
Good Morning

I am 5 weeks out and concerned that I am still in enough pain to need narcotics. I know we are all different but can anyone give me an idea if they needed tgese meds at this stage or longer?

My surgery was Sept. 25, and I got my last bottle of (30) oxycodone on Oct. 30. So, that was right at 5 weeks and I still had that bottle to use. I used that bottle to taper, making it last two weeks. After that taper, I had some flu-like symptoms for a week, and my bowels got hypersensitive for a couple weeks. I didn't expect that.
 
Hi @donnag1108

I had my RTKR 6 days after you did, and yes, I’m still taking narcotics and know that I will be still taking them 6 days from now.

I’m decreasing their use, and am taking them less often, but I see absolutely no problem with still taking them.

My OS refilled my hydrocodone and tramadol prescriptions last week. He does want me to be off them within the next couple of weeks, but I think that’s just his goal and not a hard line. I’ve started splitting some pills for some of the doses.

If he won’t refill the tramadol again, and if I still feel like I need it, I’ll contact my PCP.

I’m going back to work in a couple of weeks. I know that’s early but I’ve got to do it for the $$ and I’ve arranged my teaching schedule for plenty of downtime for elevating and icing, plus I teach some classes online.

I followed the same schedule last year and it worked well.

You’re doing great. I TRULY don’t see what the huge rush is to get off narcotic pain pills if they’re helpful. You’re not going to get addicted.

I’ve been thinking that I’ll get to the same place in recovery within 4-6 more weeks regardless of whether or not I take pain pills.

So I can get to that place more painfully, or less painfully. To me, it just makes sense to do it less painfully.

If less painfully means taking a narcotic pain pill now and then, so be it.

I’ve played plenty of sports in my life (volleyball, basketball, college tennis) and know that this recovery is far different than a sports injury.

I’m sorry you’re feeling bad today - hang in there.
 
Feeling a bit better. Took a nap and OS refilled my pain medication. PA assured me it's perfectly fine that I am still needing medication and normal considering pain was a factor that kept me in the hospital an extra day. She said trust me OS is well aware of what's happening and all is well. All of this was very reassuring to me. I see him on Monday for follow up.
 
Omg this not sleeping! So tired but this too shall pass. 340am just very tired!
 
Feeling sorry for myself today. Had an extremely rough night and just feeling like no end in sight though I know there's been a lot of improvement. The dull ache will just not go away. I'm not a depressed person but this is getting to me. No choice but to tough it out and hope for better days. Oh how I miss my independence and freedom.
 
You are in those angry tissues days. They will get better. I know it seems like forever, but it won't be. Soon your days will become better and better. Try to just relax and not worry about it. This will pass!
 
:console2::console2:
We’ve all been there!
 
Got outside for a walk in the sun and feeling better. Was able to come up the stairs foot over foot for the first time!! We live on the 3rd floor of our building with no elevator so I was very pleased. Excellent hand rails on both sides which I held onto tightly. I cancelled PT this week. Just not sure I need that to recover. I almost feel better not going. I am utterly grateful for the support here. It is a tremendous help.
 
I'm so glad you got out to enjoy the sun! You didn't go up all those steps foot over foot, did you? That would be doing way too much this early. I hope you're doing OK now.
 
@sistersinhim yes it was so nice to get outdoors. I didn't do all the steps but I already know I did too many. I got so excited I could go foot over foot. Lesson learned!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom