TKR Donna' s Recovery

Rough couple nights trying to sleep and more pain then usual. This recovery is like a grab bag from one day to the next and you never know what you get. My left knee will have to go at some point but I am going to do my best to take care of it and get along as far as possible before I have to do this again. It's must be a very hearty sole indeed that does bi lateral.
 
Rough couple nights trying to sleep and more pain then usual.
Extra night time pain is usually a sign that you are doing too much during the day. Back off of your activities for a few weeks and let your knee calm down.

My left knee will have to go at some point but I am going to do my best to take care of it and get along as far as possible
My old, left knee also gave me a fit when I first had my rtkr. It didn't like taking on all the work. As my tkr healed and took on more of my weight, lefty got better. I pray yours does, too! This surgery isn't something to take on unless it's absolutely necessary!
 
Extra night time pain is usually a sign that you are doing too much during the day. Back off of your activities for a few weeks and let your knee calm down.
Very true. It takes surprisingly little to become too much. It's a constant process of trial and error.
 
I have to say as time goes on I become more and more grateful for my OS. I have talked to so many people who have this and other surgeries only to feel like they then became an after thought to their dr. I had to go through 3 to find my OS and all that frustration was definitely worth it. He is responsive and caring and anyone I have had contact with in the medical community including my 2 pts love him.
I called this morning and left a message for refill on my pain med and a few hours later the pharmacy let me know it was ready. I've seen patients who have had this very painful surgery and find it so hard to get their medications. I don't want to be on these meds any longer then needed but I surely don't want to suffer in pain, opiod epidemic or not. I'm feeling very grateful today for this man and his staff. He is encouraging but honest and upfront. I've had some wonderful orthopedic Drs but this man by far takes the cake. I wish all patients could say the same.
 
How blessed you are to have found this wonderful man and his team! They are really hard to find! It's wonderful that you can get the pain meds that you need, too, without having to feel like you're begging! I wish all doctors could be like yours.
 
Anyone have any insight into loss of appetite I have absolutely no desire for food. I have lost 15 pounds since the end of September. I was already trying to lose before surgery but since surgery my appetite has gone completely. I know I need to be eating just don't want to. Anyone else have such a dramatic change after surgery?
 
I found that the pain meds took away my appetite. It was a few weeks after getting off of them that my joy of eating started coming back.

Can you drink protein drinks? They helped me get through that first month.
 
I hope you can stomach them. I found the colder they were the better. Of course, you might not like them that way. Your body needs that protein to aid in healing, so please try and get it anyway you can.
 
@donnag1108 yes I had that too. Hardly ate a thing for a month. I thought no it was mainly the pain killers and feeling sick . However I knew from last time that my appetite would come back which it did so unfortunately I’ve put all the weight I lost back on!
 
@X2mangie This forum is such a source of support. Your surgery is right around the corner!! It's not easy but I don't regret it for a minute. You will do great and everyone is here for you!
 
I've just read your recovery thread and it brings back memories of the early days! Most of what you experienced is similar to my recovery. I was lucky with sleeping. Lack of appetite and weight loss was an issue. My appetite came back, but not a lot. Pain management was an issue. I tried to wean off too soon.

4 to 5 weeks is a strange place. One day you feel good. Then you feel like crud for 2. It gets better. Really.
 
@beachy thank you so much for the reassurances! This has been the hardest thing I have ever done. While I know all recovery is different it sure does help to know others went through so much of What I am experiencing. I thought for a short time I was some sort of weirdo with such hard to control pain. While no one has made me feel that way it is foreign to me to ask for pain meds for so long, or much at all for that matter. I feel very lucky to have an understanding surgeon who gets the pain associated with this and is happy to help me be as comfortable as possible.

As far as my appetite I wasn't expecting that but to be honest I'm okay if it doesn't go totally back to normal as weight has been a lifelong battle for me but I do want to be healthy. Thank you again for sharing with me. It's much appreciated.
 
It's definitely been a couple of very rough nights sleep wise. Maybe 3 hours a night and not having much luck sleeping during the day. I hope it improves soon I am exhausted.
 
Eventually your body will just give in and you’ll have a really good sleep . It’s not nice whist you’re waiting for it though. It does get better... honest !
 
Do you at least take some time to lie down? I usually could sleep (champion napper :heehee: ) but sometimes even just lying down for a while helps. Also I slept in installments overnight for about a month.
 
@kneeper oh yes. I lie down and rest s much as possible. I did some off for about 20 minutes yesterday and even just that short nap made a difference. I know this will pass. I've had serious insomnia for many years but I have meds for that and was sleeping very well before surgery but I can't take them while taking the pain meds. I'm grateful for my fairly uneventful recovery so far. Sleep will come it's just tiring.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom