Done and Done: Lessons Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ema, Hope you are doing well I appreciate your additions to my page and encouragement. You have more experience than I with the knees that is for sure. Keep up the good work you are the best. Bill
 
[Bonesmart.org] Done and Done: Lessons Learned
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Done and Done: Lessons Learned
bottomshollow
 
Two weeks post-op and I'm already forgetting some of my rules. You know, that one about taking your drugs? It's so easy to pretend that I don't really need them, right up until I try to move or do something and my knee screams at me. If I take them, we all get along just fine and my knee and I play nice together. If I don't take them, I pay for it in spades.

Oh, and the other one, about sleeping every chance you get? Yeah, that one. Today I fell asleep during my exercises. So I think I kept starting over. I probably got five or six repetitions done instead of the required two. So that caused me to take two additional naps today.

We're snowed in here in Michigan, so I guess I won't be outside making any snow angels anytime soon. I'm trying to keep cabin fever from setting in, but just may have to ask the hubby to take me out for a short adventure in another day or two.

I hope that all of my December buddies are doing well... Best wishes to the upcoming January group.:snow dig:
 
Today I fell asleep during my exercises. So I think I kept starting over. I probably got five or six repetitions done instead of the required two. So that caused me to take two additional naps today.

LOL, @ema8447...I can relate! I started writing an email to a friend, and fell asleep with my finger on the "m". I woke up to a zillion m's on the page, LOL!
 
@Ziggysmom ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That is hilarious!!! It's just so different because I'm one of those people who take FOREVER to fall asleep. This instant stuff is pretty interesting, especially when I wake up and sort of just pick up where I left off. So strange!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Done and Done: Lessons Learned
[Bonesmart.org] Done and Done: Lessons Learned
Lots of healing going on--and rest is a necessity---enjoy all those little catnaps---they're good for you.
 
Another lesson that I'm trying to learn: When you schedule your surgery for December and think "wow, it'll be great to not have to go outside when the weather is really rotten" you fail to take into account the inherent risk of developing a severe case of cabin fever. Ah, yes... cabin fever has set in and badly! The sun is shining, it's gorgeous outside, but at last count, we had about 14 inches of new snow on the ground. And the actual temperature is 3 degrees and the wind chill is somewhere south of -20 degrees. Hmmm, not too conducive to taking a short walk to get some fresh air. Way too risky. And I know I'll be in constant fear of falling down.

So this all requires an attitude adjustment. I'll keep checking on my fellow December surgery buddies and see what else is happening in my tiny little cyber world. I'll also hope for warmer temperatures since I'd like to treat my hubby to lunch out on Tuesday since it's his birthday. Of course, he'll have to drive and pay for lunch, but I'm hoping he won't mind :-)

I hope that everyone is doing well today. :snow dig::snow plough:
 
Hi @ema8447
How have you been doing with the cabin fever? :)
Are you out and about?
And how is you knee doing?
 
Hi @1ELISEA...

Thanks for asking! Although the temperatures have risen a bit, we got a bunch of rain, which has created a nice icy skating rink on top of the snow. So... I did venture out on Thursday (missed the hubby's birthday by a few days) for lunch, which was nice. And then had to go out again on Friday for a doctor's appointment. Pretty sad state of affairs when one looks forward to going to the doctor to escape the cabin fever! Weather and road conditions are supposed to improve over the next few days, so I will probably bite the bullet and go to the local mall to do some mall walking a couple of times this week.

Knee is doing okay; am currently in process of cutting back on the oxycodone - it works like a charm but I seriously hate taking it! Even with a reduced dose, I was able to do five sets of my exercises this morning, so I think I'll be able to continue to decrease gradually.

I'm still glad that I went ahead and got this second knee done; I find that if I focus on spring/summer and the ability to be more active once again, I can keep the emotions under better control. Still struggling with that crazy depression that washes over me way too often, though! I think my husband is about maxed out with the caregiving responsibilities; I need to figure out something to deal with that.

I hope that you are doing well also!
 
It's meltdown day. I'm four weeks post op and by all accounts am doing well. I've been getting away from the prescription meds, and am still able to increase my flex and extension. I've gotten out a few times for lunch. And yet, the tears are flowing today like the Hoover Dam (my US buddies will know what I mean). I dimly recall going through this with the first knee, but somehow this seems worse. I forget which lesson number I'm on, but maybe it doesn't matter? Anyway, this is just a reminder that this surgery imposes a HUGE mental and emotional burden on us and time, patience, rest, ice and elevation will help. I may also venture out with husband and dogs for a short trek to a nearby beautiful park with well-defined walking trails. I hope everyone else is doing well.
 
A day makes a difference... I did get out to the park yesterday for a short walk. I used my walker because I still don't feel too steady standing on the new knee. It was great to get out; the dogs had a great time and my husband and I felt better being in a slightly different environment. But even though it was a really short walk and I wasn't outside all that long, it was exhausting!!! I went to bed early last night and slept reasonably well. Then, this morning, after a shower and my exercises, I fell asleep for almost two hours.

I know that lots of rest is still necessary at this point in my recovery, but really, how much is enough? How much is too much? Today I'm a zombie and have barely moved since coming downstairs.

For anyone who's even remotely entertaining the possibility of returning to work at this point in their recovery, I really recommend that you rethink your plans. And be sure to ask your knee what it thinks about such an action.
 
Happy One Month! I spent half my one-month day yesterday zonked out. I went to PT, ran a short errand (husband insists on driving, still), came home & fiddled around a bit, then was on the phone with my brother & suddenly felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Not pain -- just utter, total exhaustion.
I'm a light sleeper anyway, so between waking up from the knee and hubby's snoring, I think sleep deprivation just caught up with me. I slept for a few hours, then did basically nothing until bedtime. And today I feel much, much better, thank goodness.
There's a fine line between building up stamina again and overdoing it. Unfortunately, the line generally becomes apparent after the fact.
 
@pdx ... isn't it interesting that we acknowledged our one month milestones but are kind of forgetting about our other knees? Happy one year plus one month birthday to your left knee! My left knee will be a year old in three weeks. Hard to believe!!
 
my US buddies will know what I mean
Why? You think only Americans know about the Hoover Dam? :heehee:
I know that lots of rest is still necessary at this point in my recovery, but really, how much is enough? How much is too much?
I think you should go back and read your own opening post! And it seems you didn't you get the recovery articles either.

So here they are
First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
.
 
Hi Josephine... Your points are well taken. I'm doing the knee comparison shuffle even though I know I shouldn't be. I was off all my Rx meds by this point after the first knee and I want it to be the same this time so I've decided to deal with a little more pain so that I can get rid of this fuzzy brain and get my appetite back and not feel like gagging every time I try to eat something. I think it's difficult to find the perfect balance but right now a clear brain and an ability to think are leading the race. One good thing is that I'm not in any rush to go back to work. I plan to take the full 12 weeks I requested. And when I do return it'll be on a permanent part time basis.

Things are complicated. We are struggling through our coldest and and snowiest season in decades and I failed to take that into account when I scheduled for December. But... from an insurance standpoint that was a smart move.

So... onward and upward.
 
In the battle between brain fuzz and knee pain, the need for relief from knee pain prevails, so... I'm back on an around the clock medication regimen that started last night although I asked to be stepped down from oxycodone which I hated. I'm trying Norco (5 mg hydrocodone/325 mg acetaminophen) and so far am much more comfortable. Lesson learned: The knee will ALWAYS win...
 
Yeah, don't mess with da knee! :)
 
It's been awhile. Time flies when you're having fun. Okay, that's a lie. Due to the horrible weather in the midwest this winter, I was housebound for far too long. The upside of that is that it forced me to take things easy and FULLY RECOVER. I'm now 14 months post-op on my first knee and 4 month post-op on my second knee. I can't believe how good it feels to walk and sometimes walk at a pretty fast pace. I can climb stairs, bend at the knees and (unbelievably) I'm starting to kneel. I'm taking a special needs yoga class and am regaining my long-lost flexibility and stamina. And I'm back to work and not falling asleep the minute I get home.

For anyone who wonders what it's like on "the other side" please know that things can be very good indeed. It's hard work, it takes incredible patience and dedication, and it HURTS, but it's so worth it. Is it all lollipops and roses? No way. Still have swelling if I overdo it, still aches sometimes, still heats up, but I can DO things that I was beyond any hope of doing a few years ago. Best wishes to all of you just finding this site and trying to make that life-altering decision on whether or not to have this surgery.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Done and Done: Lessons Learned
update, @ema8447, Elaine. It is a long sometimes bumpy journey, but reaching the end with knees that really work makes it all worthwhile. I'm so pleased that you're happy with the results.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom