Done and Done: Lessons Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
:puppysmooze: Finding joy in the little things...

I'm crazy/happy to report that progress continues and that life is returning to normal. I'm continuing the yoga class (it's doing wonders for me both mentally and physically); walking more (same results as yoga) and am returning to tasks I never thought I'd be doing again. Last weekend, I washed windows - they are big and there are LOTS of them! Who thought that such a thing could be such a big deal? The next day, I spent a couple of hours raking off flower beds that I've neglected for at least three years. Thanks to my two TKR's, I'm happily TAKING BACK MY LIFE! The surgery is so worth it - after the fact, of course!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Done and Done: Lessons Learned
And those of us who have had TKRs, @ema8447, Elaine, know just how true this is. I am crazy/happy for you that things are going so well and that you have your life back to live the way you want to live it.

Your post is a real UPPER! Should be an inspiration to those waiting for surgery and those still in the early stages of recovery. Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
Not so fast...

In my first "Lessons Learned" posting way back when, I mentioned that it's not a good idea to return to work too early (many others have echoed that sentiment in their postings, too), so for my second knee I took 12 weeks off. I thought I was cruising and all was well with my world. Well, here I am 4-1/2 months post-op on the second knee and it's time for our annual fire drill. I CRUISED down ten flights of stairs; one of my colleagues even commented on how GREAT I was doing.

Turns out that I was a little too cocky. Apparently, the knee disagreed with my assessment that I'm back 100% because ever since the fire drill on Monday 5/5, I've been almost back to Square One, i.e., icing, elevating, taking some (mild) pain relief, and doing heel slides and ankle pumps at levels unseen since two or more months ago.

My point? It takes time - A LOT OF TIME - before you can truly forget about the knee. However, the knee that's now 15 months old has taken it all in stride. It's kind of fun, and encouraging, to be able to let the left knee be the milestone marker for the right knee.

So for everyone who's wondering "how long till I'm back to normal?" I just want you to know that the best answer is "it depends" and "it takes longer than you think it will."

Best wishes to all,
Elaine
 
Wow!!! I'm now 6 months post-op on the second knee and 16 months post-op on the first knee. Life is so much better than it was pre-surgery. For anyone contemplating this life-altering surgery, please know that if you give it time, there really is a pot of gold waiting at the end of the rainbow.

Good luck to all,
Elaine
 
:puppysmooze: Finding joy in the little things...

I'm crazy/happy to report that progress continues and that life is returning to normal. I'm continuing the yoga class (it's doing wonders for me both mentally and physically); walking more (same results as yoga) and am returning to tasks I never thought I'd be doing again. Last weekend, I washed windows - they are big and there are LOTS of them! Who thought that such a thing could be such a big deal? The next day, I spent a couple of hours raking off flower beds that I've neglected for at least three years. Thanks to my two TKR's, I'm happily TAKING BACK MY LIFE! The surgery is so worth it - after the fact, of course!

This is taking back your life, the thousand little things that help define you as a person. More inspirational than climbing everest.

Sooo looking forward to when my OS agrees to a tkr.
 
@Reebok...

I hope that you don't have to wait too long for your surgery. From the time it all started, till I went through various treatment options (but no surgery) to the time of the actual surgery was about 6 years. May not seem like a long time, but when you're in so much pain and life is so restricted, it can feel like forever, so I understand what you're going through. Please keep us posted.

Take care,
Elaine
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom