THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

:gaah: Why can’t I get settled and comfortable??? Nothing I do, no position I get in seems to be comfortable. :hairpulling: I feel really restless too, and just want to walk or sit up in the recliner. Dogdude is in there sleeping and has to be up for work at 4:30am, so I don’t want to disturb him. He told me to take a Percocet and maybe that will help? I’m about ready to cut these compression socks into shreds, I feel like they are cutting off the circulation to my foot. :censored:

Wondering if maybe some of what I’m feeling is from the nerves re-activating after surgery?? We took the TEDs off and the leg cuffs off today because I was feeling so itchy, and thought washing my feet and legs up and getting rid of dead skin would help. I don’t know if the cuff is too tight? Do the teds have to cover your foot too? Or can I have my foot free? I feel like the cuff is ok, but the socks are strangling my left foot. The right foot is fine.

Edited to say that I took my grippy sock off on the operated side, that seems to have helped a bit. Phew! Probably going to take the right side off too. PT comes tomorrow. I’m going to ask him to check the cuffs for me.
 
Last edited:
Dogchick I can't answer why you can't get comfortable, except to say if you remember reading others stories (because I know you read many like I have) being uncomfortable is normal.

I can say that you MUST stay AHEAD of the pain. If doc has prescribed party girl Percocet every 2 hrs, then by all means party on time. Letting the pain take over will result in setbacks. I told my hubby today to REMIND me that the pain is temporary, the first 2 weeks are the hardest, so I must stay ahead of pain.

Sending beach breezes and warm thoughts of healing to you.
 
@Bchbum4evr Thank you for your calmness. It was really weird last night, I was wide awake and restless, couldn't just settle down and relax, had to keep getting up to do...who knows what, whatever I could find to do, I guess. But besides that, I was just really uncomfortable in my bed, I couldn't find a comfortable spot at all, and usually I can. I had both Pupdudes in my room fixing the socks this way, that way, the other way, and finally, I just said, "Take the darn grippy socks off and just leave them off!" :hissy: I felt bad for them, because I was so frustrated, but not at them. They were so good and stayed calm though. I do feel like maybe I needed to take the Party Girl earlier than I did, but I had just taken time released Morphine and then some Tylenol....Anyway, taking off the grippy socks seemed to help a lot and taking the Party Girl, it took about 30 minutes or so for it to finally start working and putting me to sleep. It is 4:11am here now and I am feeling much better. I got up around 3:45am to go to the bathroom, then got back in bed. I feel a nap attack coming on soon. :yawn: So I'll see later this morning how I'm doing. Thank you for your reply, thinking of warm beach breezes, palm trees swaying in the breeze....waves gently crashing....yep...I'm toast....good night. :zzz:
 
hi everyone I'm new here but since my hip surgery on may 23 I have experienced everything you beautiful ladies are talking about. so happy I found this site now I don't feel so alone feeling better knowing what I felt and still feeling is pretty normal. I think also having a good attitude and looking toward the future helps. I still feel a little frustrated but each day as I get stronger I'm thankful I can walk and I didn't have a stroke I do feel s little disappointed that my life is on hold and I can't do certain things yet, like driving. I don't have the confidence yet. thank you ladies for Sharing your stories it has helped me so much. I had my surgery at NYU hospital in New York city I am from the US. I had an excellent surgeon but it was still scary I was traumatized because I fell and broke my hip
I pray everyone will have a great recovery we have to be patient with ourselves each day is a gift my love and prayers to all you brave and lovely ladies
 
Welcome to the forum @lilybell. Do you have your recovery thread set up yet? I feel like I recognize your name, but I am thinking with a drug induced brain. :snork: I am glad that our “stories” have been helpful. I agree with you, reading about other’s journey through recovery has been so helpful....inspirational even. :flwrysmile:
 
Dogchick, The medication is necessary right now so try not to worry about cutting down so early.
Do remember to take stool softeners or whatever you have for "potty protocol"
The constipation situation was NOT fun for me.
I had the antsy, can't get comfy, for quite a bit.
Finally just resigned myself that I would have to do alot of here, there, up and down and meds will help with that also.
You should always follow doctors advice and don't know what your risks are, but I washed my TEDS on day four...and they got lost:shrug:
Hubby insisted he found them but I'm pretty sure they weren't mine.
Miserable Things!
Hang in there, these are early days and it IS easy to get frustrated!
 
Thank you dogchick. I see you are in Connecticut. I live in Massapequa, Long Island, New York I was on my way to attend my granddaughter's graduation from Pace university. They were holding the commencement at Radio City Music hall, and that's where I fell. In front of hundred's of people. The ride in the ambulance was like a nightmare.
My broken bones were being tossed to and fro. So happy I found this site. My family expects me to do things I am not capable of doing yet, so reading all these comments makes me know I am not crazy LOL
 
@Mojo333 Dogdude keeps me on a good schedule with my meds. The only one that is "up to me", is the Party Girl, (Percocet). I don't think I have the ability to make decisions though, it's weird. I can be in a lot of pain, and I will be waffling back and forth whether it's time to take it...it's not because I'm trying not to take it, it's just I can't make the decision. LOL! By nature, I stay away from chemical products/medications if I can, and that is so ingrained in me that I think it makes it hard to make the decision, since I can't make one to begin with. I don't know if I'm explaining that right.

Thankfully, constipation is not a problem really. I've been able to go, although it can be a little hard to go, after that first cinderblock, I have at least been able to go. As far as risks are concerned for blood clots, I don't think I'm at a high risk by any means, but I do have diabetes, which I believe is a risk. But no heart disease or anything. Since I depend on Dogdude to do the laundry right now, I'm sure he will keep track of the TEDS. So no worries about them getting "lost". :nah: But they are made from a thin material, it would be easy to snag them on something and cause a rip to happen. :shrug: :whistle: If that happens, I do have a few pairs of socks that are sort of tight that I could use.

Ok, WHAT ON EARTH is the purpose of the hole at the top of the TEDS??? :tantrum: Seriously!! When it is pulled down over the toes and below the bunions, you run the risk of your foot swelling and having the circulation cut off. But if you try to keep the hole at the top, you end up feeling like you are wearing several pairs of flip-flops because it gets between the toes! I'm seriously thinking of taking them off and sewing up the hole. But not sure if the seam will be more bothersome. I suppose I could try it with one of them and wear it to see if it will bother me. Then go from there. Just need Pupdude #1 to run to the basement and grab some thread. I'll come back and post if I do it and if it worked for me.
 
Hi @dogchick Wishing you a good day as you enter week two of recovery.
Please excuse the derail. I'd like to try and direct Lilybell to start her own recovery thread

Hi @lilybell
I'm very sorry to hear of your accident. I imagine the pain, humiliation and fear must have felt extraordinary.
Thankfully you're on the mend. I'd like to encourage you to start your own thread so we can offer you the support and encouragement you deserve. We also have some articles to leave that may be very helpful as you move through recovery. Here is a link to instruct you on starting your own thread -

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/starting-a-new-thread-and-posting.14736/

Hope this helps! Wishing you a great week as you continue healing.
 
Why can’t I get settled and comfortable???
Because you are a princess, and the world is full of peas. This type of thing will make you understandably cranky with your Dogdude, and the pup-princes.

Since I depend on Dogdude to do the laundry right now
And here I must comment on what a wonder Dogdude must be! (If I had the temerity to attempt the laundry, my ever-patient and understanding wife would rise from her rest like Nosferatu and swat the detergent from my hands.) One of the things I love about your posts is how much you acknowledge your indefatigable family - as should we all! My own wife (who needs a name - Bone-ita? Bone-appetite?) has been wonderful - she watches over me, making sure that I'm doing well, especially early on in my recovery. (If I dropped my cane in the middle of the night, she'd appear out of nowhere like Beetlejuice.) Pillows were miraculously fluffed in my absence, sheets mysteriously changed, meals meticulously prepared.

To all our long-suffering families: salut!
 
I’m a week post op, my husband is back at work today. He’ll be home around 11:30 to take dogs out and get me lunch. He’s been fantastic...all the cooking, dog caring and putting on my Teds hose. He’d better enjoy this because I have my TKR in 7 weeks!
 
@Bone-obo Oh My Goodness! You had me laughing so hard! :rotfl: I needed that! Thanks! Calling me a Princess in a world of Peas....:loll: What you don't know, is that is one of my favorite fairy tales, and I used to always be called Princess Di. So that was a perfect analogy! And the Pup-princes.....awesome, I love that!

I don't feel that I acknowledge my family enough in real life, so I feel the need to do it online at least. They have to bear the brunt of my raging frustration. I did post a nice little thing on Facebook and Instagram about how awesome my Dogdude has been. So I know he will at least see it and feel appreciated. It's hard to do it face to face sometimes....it doesn't come out the way I want it to, I'm much better when writing it out.

As far as Dogdude doing the laundry, he is a gem in a world of rocks. He does his own laundry all the time. And he will sometimes throw some of the Pup-Princes work clothes in with it. My laundry is in the basement, so even before surgery, it was difficult for me to get down there, (There have been many times that I have slipped and fell down the stairs....like sliding all the way down on my bottom, or hip or whatever I landed on) and I definitely couldn't bring the clothes up so I could fold them. The Pup-Princes always brought them up for me. Anyway, so they have needed to adapt and learn the art of laundering long ago. Dogdude seems to appear from out of nowhere too. I'll get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, he is sleeping in the livingroom, and next thing I know, he's right there watching me get up. I tell him I don't need help getting up or getting to the bathroom, and back in bed, but he feels the need to make sure I am doing ok and being safe. I think the time I almost passed out in the bathroom at home the first day I came home, scared the beejesus out of him, so now he's ultra overly-cautious. Plus, with the pain meds, I have no memory, and can't think things out all the time, so he things he has to do the thinking for me. LOL! I appreciate his concern and worry, I really do, but sometimes I just want to do it by myself without someone constantly standing over me. Bless his heart!

@InkedMarie Today Dogdude had to go back to work too. He won't be home until about 6pm, but PupPrince#1 has today off from work, and PupPrince#2 has the morning off, he will be going to work in a few minutes. So, I'm not left alone. Dogdude doesn't want me to be alone at all this week, so we have it figured out that I will always have at least one of the Princes with me...except on Friday afternoon. I'm excited about that afternoon though, my student who graduated this year, is going to come over and "take care of me" from about 1pm to 4pm when Pupprince #1 gets out of work. I'm excited to see her and watch a chick flick with her. After that, I'm hoping to be steady enough to be able to do things for myself. My recliner is really hard to get out of, so that's pretty much the issue. Had trouble with it before surgery, now I can't get it to completely close up without help from someone.

Ok, now for some sort of good news. PT came today. He changed my bandage, said that the wound is healing well. Dogdude is doing a good job changing bandages. There is one spot where there is some bruising that he just needs to be careful about with the tape on the bandages. Otherwise it looks good. I took a picture and will be posting it after I crop it a bit.

He gave me some other exercises to do. Although a couple of them are kind of painful, so I will decline doing those for now, but will try maybe in a week or so and see how it is. I worried that I am not progressing as quickly as I should, but he assured me that I am doing fine and he doesn't expect me to be ready to transistion to a cane for at least another week or so. That was good news. I still worry I won't be there by then though.

I had him check my leg cuffs, because we had taken them off to wash my legs and feet, and because of all the issues I was having last night, I wanted to make sure the cuffs were not on too tight or too loose. We got those all set. I complained about the TEDS and had a tiny little rant about the hole in them. (And here's where the good news comes in) He told me that we could go to Walmart and buy a couple pair of compression socks and they won't have the hole in them, and they are better quality. He said the ones they give me at the hospital are kind of cheap and not good quality. :heehee: So guess what I'm having Dogdude do hopefully tonight.....:yes!: Oh, and PT guy told me that he can see a big difference in the amount of swelling on my OP leg compared to when he saw it on Friday...so 3 days ago. I told him it swelled a lot more since then too, so that is good news that he could see a difference. He liked that I was getting up and doing laps, doing my stretches, and exercises that don't hurt. I also told him that I've been getting up and doing stuff, like picking up a bit, preparing some celery with peanut butter and raisins on top, making my morning tea, filling my water bottle, etc. As long as I'm feeling ok to do it, and not hurting, he said it's a good thing. :yahoo: Oh, he did say to be careful how long I'm leaving the ice on over the bandage, because it's causing my skin to stick more to the adhesive or something? Not sure if I am understanding him correctly, he has a bit of an Indian accent, so I sometimes have to have him repeat himself. He said, leave it on for 20-25 minutes, :ice: then take it off for 30 minutes. Dogdude is sooo good at reminding me when to take it off, because I cannot keep track of it at all. Now that he's at work....it's a challenge. Ok, I have rambled WAY long enough. Just trying to cover everything so I can look back and see where I was and see my advancement. Hope y'all have a happy Monday!
 
As far as Dogdude doing the laundry, he is a gem in a world of rocks.
Great analogy! Well played, Princess! (Although I feel like I'm being taken for granite.)

Ack! Bad pun alert! Ignore the part in parenthesis!!

sometimes I just want to do it by myself without someone constantly standing over me.
We had this discussion mid-way thru the first week, where I insisted the lovely and talented spouse take better care of herself and not get run-down. By second week, I started terriering up so she wouldn't worry. ("Terriering up" - faking it, like a small dog trying to look bigger and healthier when it passes another dog.) I was also very careful not to drop anything at night that might sound like a body.

I still worry I won't be there [ready for the cane] by then though.
You may be surprised! About 8 days into my recovery I posted that it would probably be another week or so before I kicked the walker to the curb. 2 days later, I was all cane all the time. It happens fast!! (Or not - but no hurry!)
 
:flwrysmile:Hi Dogchick... I've been following your recovery, and it sounds like you are doing very well for week 1! I'm up on Aug 8, so it's good to see some positive post-op posts. Couple questions for you! What made you decide on spinal with sedation vs GA? I like that idea, but a little worried about being able to see/hear things. Also wondering what the "nerve block" is - is that different than the spinal? A nerve block for 3 days sounds like a really good idea, but I haven't heard of this before. So glad your leg swelling has gone down, and you got the TEDs adjusted. For your icing, are you just using a bag filled with ice... or gel packs? Keep up the good healing!
 
@Bone-obo I'm not really sure how to quote different parts of a message, so bear with me. I am a lover of "bad" puns, so bring it on! Thanks for the giggle! :heehee: Glad you appreciated my analogy. :snork:

I don't think Dogdude would believe me if I tried to Terrier up....did I say that right?:umm:He has to have absolute proof. LOL! I do sometimes play down the pain I'm actually in, because he will smother me with attention, and watch my every move if I didn't.

I was also very careful not to drop anything at night that might sound like a body.
Oh My Gosh!! :loll::rotfl::rofsign: My stomach hurts from laughing at this! I can totally relate to this statement though! I swear Dogdude has superhuman hearing right now, just the tiniest of sound and I hear the thump of his recliner closing and he's there! Despite having my grabber, he does feel he has to check on me. LOL! I think he would hear a paper falling on the floor. So definitely don't want to drop anything heavy.

Next week, other than the mornings when Pup-Prince #2 is home, I am going to be alone for the entire afternoons, so I'm hoping that I will be able to close the recliner by myself by then, so I won't have to depend on someone to help me get up. That is my biggest goal. My next goal will be to get strong enough to use just a cane and discard the walker. :thumb:
 
Last edited:
:flwrysmile:Hi Dogchick... I've been following your recovery, and it sounds like you are doing very well for week 1! I'm up on Aug 8, so it's good to see some positive post-op posts. Couple questions for you! What made you decide on spinal with sedation vs GA? I like that idea, but a little worried about being able to see/hear things. Also wondering what the "nerve block" is - is that different than the spinal? A nerve block for 3 days sounds like a really good idea, but I haven't heard of this before. So glad your leg swelling has gone down, and you got the TEDs adjusted. For your icing, are you just using a bag filled with ice... or gel packs? Keep up the good healing!

Hi @Small1014 I'm so glad that you are enjoying my recovery thread. I am a firm believer in being positive and laughter being the best medicine.

1. I decided on Spinal with sedation first because that's what my surgeon recommended. But also because I've had spinals before, I was familiar with them and knew what to expect. Also, I was told that the "sedation" part was going to be Propofol, and I also have had that when having a colonoscopy, and I always say it's the BEST SLEEP EVER! I have never woken up during a procedure with Propofol, so I was pretty comfortable with that, although, I did make sure the Anesthesiologist knew I didn't want to hear, see, know anything. LOL! I never had bad issues with GA, but Dogdude reminded me that I did feel sick to my stomach a bit last time I had it. With the spinal I was able to wake up pretty well, and I didn't really have any tummy issues. In fact, when they finally got me dinner, I gobbled the whole thing down in record time. LOL!

2. Nerve Block- It is different from the Spinal, that is only to numb you for the surgery. If I understand this correctly, they flush a part of the body during surgery with a nerve-numbing solution, in this case it is the area around the hip joint. It is used to help control pain. The one my doctor used lasts about 3-4 days. It's probably what allows you to get up and walking right away for better recuperation. You will still get other pain medication in the hospital and to take at home. You will also be given an anti-inflammatory to take. I was given Celebrex.

3. Icing- I bought some gel packs on Amazon. I bought 3 of them so I can change them out throughout the day. If you look at my Pre-op thread, (See my signature below) I believe I posted links to what I bought, so you can see what I mean. They are working pretty good. If I could have, I would have gotten the Ice machine that @Eman85 suggested in my pre-op thread. I got a prescription from my surgeon, but couldn't find a place in my tiny town area that could fill it. But the gel packs are much better than filling a bag with ice. First of all, the bag of ice would really sweat a lot and your bandage would get wet from it. The gel packs sweat a bit too, but I got a "thing" that you put the pack into so it keeps the sweat away from your bandage. Secondly, the gel is squishy and not hard so it won't poke or hurt your incision because of it being hard like ice cubes.
 
Wow! I fell asleep around 8pm tonight and didn't wake up until Dogdude woke me up about 9:10pm. I usually go back to the bedroom around 8-ish, so he has time to change my bandage, and get everything moved over to my bedroom with me. Since we both fell asleep, we were a little behind. Poor Dogdude was so sleepy and had to still change my bandage. Anyway, I don't know why I'm rambling....here's what I'm here to say:

I got a call from OT (Occupational Therapy), they want to see me today...in about 20 minutes. I had just had PT, so I figured what the heck, might as well get it over with so I can take a nap afterwards. I didn't realize they were going to have me getting up and down out of the recliner, walking to the bathroom, sitting on the toilet and getting back up. Then bringing in the shower bench, getting in and out of the tub, walking to my bedroom, getting in and out of bed. I had just gone to the kitchen before they came and grabbed a nectarine, washed and dried it and sliced up some cheese on a plate to eat, since it was lunch time and I wasn't going to have time to eat lunch before they got there. So lots of moving around. Here is my take on the session:

1. I was feeling sleepy from the Party girl's visit right before PT and needed to nap, and I was hungry because it was lunch time. This means I'm easily frustrated....having to get up and down so many times in a row...I got especially frustrated getting in and out of the tub on the shower bench because I haven't done it yet, and I got really annoyed. LOL! I didn't show my best side at that point for sure.

2. I got nervous when they asked me to show them how I got into bed, so I got really close to breaking the 90º rule. OT didn't like that. I told her I was feeling nervous so I kind of rushed getting into the bed. So I had to get up and show them again how I usually get into the bed. (The teenage rebellious side of me was thinking, "what are you going to do, fail me, say I can't continue healing because I failed? Guess what? I'm going to heal even better just because you said I can't! :hissy:) I realize that's not what they were saying, but my crazy, messed up head was talking back big time. It's just not something I can control right now. The good thing, I didn't actually say it out loud. :tada: The filter actually worked for a change. Honestly, they were really very nice ladies and were just there to help me so I can be successful when I'm on my own for a few hours next week. But the tired side of me was cranky and rebellious and kept a running dialogue going on in my head.

3. Guess what?? I actually met one of my goals right after I set the goal! And actually had OT there to witness it! I actually got up out of the recliner ALL BY MYSELF!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: (Don't you just love how these little guys are always totally in sync?) I had to celebrate a little bit when I did that, but they wouldn't let me dance around, so I Woo-Hoo'd. Guess what?? I got out of the recliner all by myself THREE, count them.....3 times in a row!!:egypdance: So now I'm able to do it. Next big goal is to be able to kick the walker to the curb and use a cane. I'm thinking I might have to transition to a crutch or crutches before the cane happens, but we'll see, the possibilities of what I can do may be endless. :happydance: I did have to visit with the Party Girl again at dinner time because of all that activity.

So OT basically told me that I am doing very well, better than expected. Somehow I can't see that in myself though, so I have a hard time believing it, it's good to have them say so, post it here and then come back and read it again.

Speaking of reading...does anybody else have to read, proofread, re-read again when they are posting? I feel like I have to do this because my fuzzy brain, will think one thing and tell my fingers to do another thing. So I have to fix things...and while I'm trying to read and fix things, I will nod off for a few seconds and have to start over with the reading to figure out what I was doing. :spin: It takes me about a half hour to type and post something. :tada: So if I seem slow in responding to your comments....this is why. Then I realize I forgot something, so I either have to add another comment to include it, or I have to edit the original post to add it....I'm feeling a little bit like Dory from Finding Nemo....Wait, that is now the name for my brain....Dory.

Did I ever tell you the name I gave my new hip? Her name is Marge. Marge doesn't like to do too much, she yells at me when I try to move her in ways that she's not used to. All she wants to do is sleep. I've got news for her...she's going to become a VERY active Marge once all her support is healed. I will make her go for 3 and 4 mile walks with the dog, I will make her support me while I stand for long periods baking goodies for the PupPrinces and family and friends and cook a whole nice dinner. I think I'll start off with standing for a couple of minutes in the shower next week though...after my staples are removed! OH MY GOSH! I get my staples out on MONDAY!! :yahoo:(Look how he's moving in sync with the other guys above. :heehee: ) I will be able to shower on Tuesday!! Ok, I think Party Girl has taken over...she's making me super, super chatty. I will go now and save you from her party mouth. (Did you see what I did there....potty mouth....Party Mouth...get it?) I made a bad pun. You're Welcome @Bone-obo
 
Last edited:
@dogchick- i love you and the attitude you have! You made me LOL with last post. I too name things - Christmas Trees, cars, the roomba... hope you, Marge and Party Girl get some rest tonight.
 
@Bchbum4evr I think my hidden character is coming out...Whenever my father-in-law or my hubby would act grumpy, my Mother-in-Law would say that their "Kraut was coming out". :snork: they have German blood in them and so does my family....so would that mean my boys have double the kraut coming out? :rotfl: I'm feeling a bit on the manic side right now, when I should be sleeping. I better get off this computer before I post something I will regret. LOL! Have a wonderful night. :) :-) (:
 
Back
Top Bottom