THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. :friends: I have not really spoken of my pain level at all. It hasn’t been terrible, between 1-4 at the worst. It has been well-managed with meds and 24/7 ice. Hoping I can continue that once I’m at home. :yes!:

Also, I really must thank whoever it was that mentioned using a pillow or rolled up blanket behind the lower back. It has truly saved me from a lot of back pain. :) :-) (:

By the time I was rolled to my room last night at 7pm, it was too late for PT, so this morning they should be coming to evaluate my ability to get up. I’m hoping I can get up with no blood pressure issues, I’m anxious to get home today. Hoping that those issues won’t keep me in the hospital longer. :no-fin:

Did I mention Log leg? I’ve got a bit of that going on. I’m able to bend my knee a bit, but to actually lift it, not happening. :heehee: I know it is temporary though.
 
Last edited:
Hope you will get to go home also.
I was actually anxious about them sending me...but it was much easier to get comfy and take my meds on time, etc.
My pain was fairly well managed also, I had the same medication.
Hopefully blood pressure issue resolved! It is a big surgery and or body tells us so.
Certainly a big payoff ahead though!:ok:
 
@Mojo333 normally I would be nervous about going home, but I have a bit of motivation....she really doesn’t understand why I’m gone. My sons told me she has been on the lookout for me at her lookout post at the window. :dogsniff: :sorry:

They are giving me Toradol, Tylenol and Dilaudid to help control the swelling and pain.
 
:) I get it. My "baby" was the same.
Glad they have your pain managed.:fingersx: they will spring you soon.
 
At least they gave me a nice tan on my operated leg. Too bad it's going to wash off. :snork:
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure
 
Happy 4th!
Hope you're doing well this morning.
Good old Log Leg, I remember it well.
Thankfully, just like all the other negatives early on...it's only temporary.
Hope your pain is well managed and your day peaceful!
@dogchick
 
Yeahhhh for you! Take your time and meds, ice, elevate, REST! You've GOT this! 3 wks yesterday for me and I'm off the cane even! You'll be shocked at how fast you will feel soooooo much better. First week stinks. Just be patient, the best is coming! :ice:
 
The first week gets a lot of bad press around here, so look at it in a happy way, as a series of milestones that you'll break thru like crazy:
1) your first shower!
2) your first poop!
3) other stuff!
That first week is a real roller coaster, but it's not all bad, and even the bad parts don't usually last very long. The 3rd and/or 4th day can be ... entertaining, but if you can keep your head up and your puppy close, you should get by it pretty handily.

Welcome to the fun part!
 
So glad you're home with your pup.
Some ups and downs for a bit, but you are strong and well prepared, so I'm confident you have this!
Happy 4th @dogchick !
 
Sorry, my brain is mush trying to reply to everyone, so please know I am reading every single reply and appreciating all your comments. Thank you!

I almost passed out again at home going to the bathroom. Had to have hubby wet a cloth and oldest son put ice in it too cool me down and stop the reaction. It helped a lot and I was able to walk back to the living room, stopping a couple of times to ice my face and neck. We think it’s the Dilauded causing it. Found out I will be having a visiting nurse coming. So tomorrow I will talk to her about it. Insurance denied paying for my pain meds and my Celebrex. Paid out of pocket for pain meds, except Celebrex which is over $130. Called doctor about it. He said Ishould be ok today, but to call the office tomorrow morning so they can work on that with insurance. Wonder if they will reimburse us for the other pain meds if the office gets them to accept it?

Anyway, it hurts to walk, but I’m doing it to go to bathroom and back, that’s about it. I would say pain scale is about 5 or 6. Just sitting doesn’t hurt, not really painful. I am icing pretty much 24/7. I have good moments and bad moments. All par for the course I guess. Maybe tomorrow will be better. :ice:
 
It will take a few days before you think it's really getting better...but walking to the bathroom and back is good for now.
It's going to take a few days for your body to get over the shock of this surgery.
Healing hugs coming your way
 
Hoping you are getting some restful sleep. You must be glad to to be home! Thinking of you and sending you lots of positive and healing thoughts for your recovery :-)
 
Thank you @Mojo333 I know in my head that this first week will be tough, frustrating, but temporary. In the moment it doesn’t always make it through to me. Lol, I am mostly feeling positive and ready to move on though. I was so happy, even though I woke up at 1am, I slept straight through from about 9pm until 1am! :egypdance: I think the time-released morphine I took helped with that.

Also, when I woke up, my youngest son was awake, so instead of waking my husband up, I had him get me another ice pack, and I got out of bed by myself, with him watching :yay: I was able to get to the bathroom and back, he helped me move my leg onto the bed, but that’s it. Hubby who is sleeping in the living room, heard noises and got up to check on me. He feels responsible for helping me. He is being so good to me. :roseshwr: Anyway, I told him Son #2 needs to learn how to help me too. He told me it was time for my Tylenol, so once I was in bed, he brought that to me. I’m taking colace everytime I take morphine or dilauded, but we forgot to do that at 9pm, so I reminded him about that, so he gave me that too. No movement going on there yet, but hoping it will be soon. I’m not in any discomfort from it though, so that’s good.

I am starting to feel lots of soreness and tenderness to the touch with my thigh muscle on operated leg, so I think the nerve block is starting to slowly wear off. I’m actually looking forward to seeing the visiting nurse and PT. I don’t know when they are coming tomorrow, actually it is tomorrow already, so today. We never heard anything from them. I need to call the OS office when they are open so I can ask about that. Everything is coming together slowly, and I am feeling a little “sparkler” beginning to show through. :thumb:
 
Last edited:
Glad to hear you are hanging in there...(like there's a choice:))
This is the tough part...you sound great considering!
Sending good Mojo your way:ice:
 
@Mojo333 I have good support at home, I think that makes a world of difference. Nobody rolls their eyes or seems annoyed when I ask for something. We'll see how long that lasts. :snork: They have teased me about some things, and we've all made silly jokes and are still laughing together. Laughter is the best medicine, right? :rofsign:
 
If you can keep laughing thru the first week, you'll do fine. Ah well, I tried to sugar-coat the first week, but your posts are bringing back some pretty dire memories - especially feeling faint during trips to the loo. But you've got the right idea: it does get better, and most likely fairly soon!
 
Back
Top Bottom