THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

Hi Dogchick - glad to see you on this side. My day 3 was not fun but slept alot & that helped. Your pup will be glad to share some puppy power to help you make it through. Hang in there. It should only be getting better. (positive thoughts) I'm rooting for you!!!
 
Yes, I saw that lovely incision.
Ouch, right?
Looks good and clean though!

Yes, it doesn’t hurt too bad, but I am beginning to feel the staples today, so it feels like someone is poking me with pins. When I had my C-sections 20 years ago, I had staples. They were bigger and thicker back then and much more painful, so I was surprised to see how thin these are.

As I mentioned earlier, I have been more painful and sore today, so right before PT, we broke out the Percocet at the suggestion of my PT. Can I just say....Percocet is my new best friend! :roseshwr: After having to nap because of it, I got up and did a lap in the house, which is tiny, but virtually no pain! :yes!: I mean, just a tiny bit as I put weight on the op leg muscles, but that’s it!:wowspring:

@Layla :rofsign: I know what you mean, some are harder to look at than others. I didn’t find mine hard to look at either. I’m hoping I don’t get that big pain once it wears off, but still want to be as prepared for it as possible...you know me, Patty Preparer. :heehee:

@Gypsy :heehee: I knew what you meant. Thanks for your answer.
 
Patty the Preparer, Polly the Perfectionist, Patricia the Patient :rotfl: We could go on and on.
Hope you're feeling better after your happy nappy.
A peaceful, relaxing weekend to you!
@dogchick
 
Just don't try to be Pamela the Prognosticator because hard to predict how quickly things will want to go.
That is up to your body and your patience.

You are doing splendid, and your meds are important for keeping you comfortable and mobile, so stay AHEAD of the pain.
Sending healing mojo your way :yes:
 
Hi Dogchick - glad to see you on this side. My day 3 was not fun but slept alot & that helped. Your pup will be glad to share some puppy power to help you make it through. Hang in there. It should only be getting better. (positive thoughts) I'm rooting for you!!!

@Gundo somehow I missed your reply here. Blame it on the morphine. :heehee: My girl follows me everywhere! I don’t close the bathroom door all the way when I go in there for 2 reasons. 1. It’s easier to open the door when I’m leaving, and 2. If I close it, she whines at the door because she can’t peek in at me to see if I’m ok. She peeks in about 3 or 4 times when I’m in there. I just have to say hi to her and say, “I’m ok.” And she backs out. She is so concerned and worried about me, I just love her to pieces. She also sleeps on my bed with me at night. She keeps an eye on me and is very careful about where she curls up and places her feet. She also will go and “tell” on me if I’m trying to get out of bed without help. She runs to whoever is awake and gives them “the concerned look” the little tattle tail! She needs to be my service Dog!

Oh, and I forgot to tell you the good news!! I did a poo for the first time today!! :yahoo: I thought I was passing a cinder block, it took so much time and energy, and strength, but the deed is done! Such a relief. :yay: Also, I was able to wash my hair in the kitchen sink, which felt wonderful! I did have more frustrations today then I’ve had, but, I got over them. Now on to sleep and tomorrow.:zzz:
 
Last edited:
, and I forgot to tell you the good news!! I did a poo for the first time today!! :yahoo: I thought I was passing a cinder block, it took so much time and energy, and strength, but the deed is done! Such a relief. :yay:

:heehee: sounds like my experience!

Onward and upward...:yahoo:
 
Thank you Percocet for allowing me to sleep through the night. :sleeep: And for allowing Dogdude to sleep. I missed a dose of Tylenol so I’m pretty sore but took it just a bit ago, so I think I’ll be ok. :)
 
Glad to hear things are improving as expected. I enjoy reading your story as I prepare for my surgery. You are such a positive poster. May you and Percocet have a short lived but happy relationship!

I do want to know how the spinal w sedation was. I'm going to ask for it.
 
Well, after I posted that last post at 6 am, I fell back to sleep until 7:30am. Very unusual for me. I’m usually awake for the day at 5am. Once up, Dogdude made my tea and scrambled eggs and gave me a small banana to slice up to eat with it. Just going to the bathroom and getting into my recliner was exhausting. I didn’t even brush my teeth or anything. I’m feeling painful, even to walk, which usually starts feeling good after the first few steps. I know I need to be patient with my body, but I feel frustrated and like I should be doing better than I am.

I’m feeling weepy today. :boohoo: Dogdude was trying to do 2 different things, he is not a multi-tasker like I am. I asked him if he pulled out the recliner yet, because it wasn’t letting me lay all the way back, he made an impatient, frustrated noise,(understandably, he’s working hard doing everything in the house and helping me) and said no. That upset me and made me mad so I told him forget it, I’ll just do this stuff by myself! Of course he wouldn’t let me and tried to calm me down and assure me he wasn’t frustrated with me personally. Now I’m feeling weepy and impatient and frustrated with myself. I know it hasn’t been that long, but I’m feeling like I went backwards a step. Dogdude lovingly reminded me that my nerve block is gone now, so it may feel that way, but it’s not even 4 full days since surgery and he thinks I’m doing amazing. :console2: He’s a good guy, he’s putting up with all my shenanigans and my “I can do it myself” toddler attitude.
 
Hi @dogchick. I'm sorry you're struggling a bit today. It will get better...promise!

Your hubs needs a break today. I think caregiving to the extent that's necessary in the first week or two can wear on the best of us. Cut him loose for a couple hours. Insist he leave the house and get out to smell the roses alone. Have him set you up, make sure you're comfortable to stay put for a couple hours and send him off.

Post Op Blues happen...read up -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

You can handle a couple hours alone. Do your best to convince him of that. It will be best for you both. He'll feel refreshed and you won't feel as much of a burden.
Hope today is a good one!
 
@Layla I agree, he needs a break. I've tried to tell him I'm ok for a little while. Especially since at least one of our boys is home most of the time. He's one of those people that takes responsibility a little too seriously, a workaholic type, so even though they help me too, he feels the need to "oversee" the situation to make sure things are done correctly. He has gotten out to do some shopping for us, only after making sure one of the boys was out in the livingroom with me. I told him they don't have to be in the room with me, as long as they keep their phone ringer turned on, and at least one ear phone off in case I have to call for them. He's just a nervous Nellie. It's hard to get him to relax and let go of things. I haven't been waking him up in the middle of the night when I'm getting up to go to the bathroom because I can see his exhaustion, and frankly, I can get up and down by myself pretty good, and most of the time, my youngest is awake, so I just let him know I'm getting up, ask him for another ice pack, etc. I actually enjoy being alone for a bit, but Dogdude is worried that I'll try to do too much, or something I shouldn't do. He tries to help when I don't need the help, so I kindly just tell him, I'm ok, I have to do this by myself eventually, might as well practice now. :) Maybe I can get him to go out for a beer with Pupdude #1 and relax. Although, last time Pupdude #1 offered him a beer, he said, "No, I can't, I'm taking care of your mother." :shrug:

I am feeling a little better, emotionally. I think I was just wiped out and still under the influence of Percocet. I'm still in more pain then I have been in, but emotionally I'm feeling better. :flwrysmile: Thank you for the encouragement.
 
Well this is the thing. Lots of drugs inside us that will take a while to clear. I've had a few almost weepy moments. Its a challenge. Sounds as if you are finding lifting your leg reasonably so that's excellent. My husband is working his socks off for me. Being incredibly sweet despite The World Cup (football) and England's playing Sweden now.
Let them take care of you. Its their turn to show you they love you!:angel:
 
@Apricot Yes, he is definitely working his socks off for sure. And because my brain is mush, he sometimes ends up getting up more often because I forgot something. Also, I’ll ask for something and by the time he gets it, I’ll change my mind, or be too sleepy for it. The sleep comes out of nowhere to take me over. I’ll be fine and wanting to do something, then BAM! 30 seconds later I can’t keep my eyes open for another second. :heehee: I say it’s evil Mr. Sandman coming to visit, whacking me over the head with a frying pan, or nap attack for short. :rofsign:

PT gave me a few things to do, one of the exercises is knee kicks. I call them “Rockettes” because you kick out like that but do it while seated. Pupdude #1 started doing them with me. :rotfl: So I just tell him, “hey, I’m doing my Rockettes” and he will sit down and Rockette with me. :heehee: Have I said how much I love this kid? Pupdog#2 is sort of on the high functioning Autism spectrum, super intelligent, loves humor and absolutely LOVES our dog and her silly antics. So he always comes home and tells me funny things that happened at work, or some funny thing about Kalia, our dog. He has a heart of gold and is so very supportive whenever I ask him for help. I tell ya, I am so fortunate to have the family that I do! :roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr: Ok, I’ll stop now before I get all weepy and mushy. :tada:
 
It IS all temporary and the meds are necessary, but can get us off kilter emotionally...along with the body's readjustment to a big surgery.
Those sons sound wonderful and I'm sure it's hard on them to see always capable mom in this way too.
My DH was also a patient soul (most of the time) but I was also a Boo-hooer at times...that he was not so good with knowing what to do.
Of course, your DH is right...early days and you are doing just fine.
Patience is what you will need the most help on as you are a "doer"
Hope today is a better day!:console2:
 
Glad to hear things are improving as expected. I enjoy reading your story as I prepare for my surgery. You are such a positive poster. May you and Percocet have a short lived but happy relationship!

I do want to know how the spinal w sedation was. I'm going to ask for it.

Sorry @Bchbum4evr I'm not seeing all the messages when using my iPad and phone, but now that I'm on my laptop I saw your post. The Spinal with sedation was GREAT! I remember getting wheeled into the surgery room and being transferred to that stretcher, then I was told to sit up so he could put the spinal in and after he said that, I remember NOTHING at all. LOL! Next thing I remember is waking up in recovery to the nurse asking how I'm doing...I didn't know where I was, or why a strange lady was in my bedroom waking me up. LOL! It took me a bit to realize what the deal was, and then, I wondered why I didn't feel any pain coming from my left hip. The nerve block was great, while later, I did feel a little pain, the pain meds I was given helped with that. I definitely recommend the spinal with sedation.

I'm so glad that my ramblings are enjoyable to you, thank you for saying so. :snork: I try to stay positive, but I have my moments for sure. I might even post about them, but I try not to dwell on them either. Doesn't do any good to. Percocet is still my friend, although, she is only my friend at night now, she wears me out if I spend time with her during the day and all I do is sleep all day, so she's my party girl at night. :cheers:
 
Hi there Hippies,
I didn't really notice that my op leg was swollen at all. Then PT mentioned on Friday (7-6) that my knee looked a little swollen compared to the other knee. I didn't see it to be honest. But by the next day, I guess that would have been yesterday, I could tell my whole leg was swollen. The nerve block has worn off, I didn't get a sudden realization of it, like sudden bad pain, I just noticed that my leg FELT swollen, and stiff and pretty constant soreness. Made it harder to walk because of that. The pain meds I'm taking aren't completely cutting it, I think my pain level stays at about a 4 or so. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. I am icing all the time, but I feel like it's not doing anything for the swelling. The swelling makes my hip/leg feel warm inside and tight. My OS gave me Celebrex as an anti-inflammatory. I can't imagine how it would feel without taking that. I don't expect to have no pain or uncomfortableness, but I am finding it hard to walk and do my laps. Any suggestions or ideas? Should I contact the surgeon's office and see if they have any ideas?

On a good note, the tenderness and soreness in my thigh muscle has decreased quite a bit, especially to the touch. There's my update for now. I'm getting a nap attack right now....dang that Evil Mr. Sandman! :zzz:
 
Just wanted to wish @UTswimmer and @Bull76! a smooth surgery and speedy recovery for tomorrow! Will look for your recovery threads tomorrow to see how it went for both of you. :flwrysmile:
 
I have to correct something I said earlier. Apparently, Percocet is my party girl at night and she gets in another party once during the day. I'm allowed to take up to 2 pills every 4 hours, but that really sounds like overkill, and I don't need it that much. I had told Dogdude that I only wanted to take it at night but this morning, while he was out for a couple of hours, I was in a great deal of pain. Pains I wasn't having before...sharp shooting pain from my hip down to my knee, sharp shooting pain in my knee...I think my nerves are waking up. Plus it was really hard to move or do any of my stretches because it hurt too much...maybe a 5 or a 6 on the pain scale, possibly up to a 7. So, I was feeling bad about the fact that I had to take a Percocet during the day, but Dogdude reminded me that I am allowed up to 12 a day, and I am only taking 2 a day, 1 every 12 hours, so he thinks I'm really doing great. That made me feel better, not such a wimp. LOL! Dogdude in the past has not known how to be very supportive about things, especially emotional things, so I am SO pleased with how well he is doing. He is being SO supportive, and seems to know exactly what I need to hear at the moment I need to hear it. :roseshwr: I'm so very proud of him! :yay:
 
Back
Top Bottom