Guest viewing is limited

THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

I finally took a shower again tonight :mcoffee:

They wipe me out. But I'm used to baths. I get that they are fast and efficient. But I miss relaxing in a tub.

Sorry about the incision pain, I'm still super numb, but had an anterior aporoach. So my pain is muscles.
 
So I went back and read what I posted this morning...what the HECK was I thinking?? Why would I think that anybody here would be interested in a picture of a little cup used for vitamins??? Sheesh! Dory sure is being ridiculous!

Just a quick update...(When have you EVER known me to be quick??) I had Dogdude take my compression socks off so they could be washed and he put on a pair of compression socks that he had. It feels good to not have a gaping hole hanging all over my toes! Oh My Goodness! I told Dogdude that if I had to go another night in those torture devices, I was going to scream and go running with scissors and shred them!! :tantrum2: I have not felt good at all today, and I had zero tolerance left. Do you know what I did? I actually WHINED! I whined like a forgotten puppy! :dogsniff: Yes I did. Dogdude knows that when I resort to whining, I am at the end of my rope...swinging away in the breeze. So out came the other compression socks. Off with the white compression socks!! :tantrum: Oh Lord...what did I do? Did you know that when you wear compression socks under Active care cuffs, which are incidentally made of a plastic-like material, for a week, that the SMELL :oyvey: is actually radioactive material?? :holysheep: I told Dogdude that to be safe, maybe we should burn them....:no-fin: it didn't work...He said he would wash them and we could swap out every other day or so. :gaah: So, I told him he needs to bring me thread because I'm sewing those suckers up! I'm hoping the basement is safe to enter with those things down there. Pray that Dogdude lives through it tomorrow. :prayer:
My New socks: (They are a little big in the foot)
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure


Ok, I feel Evil Mr. Sandman coming to get me, I keep nodding off, so he's catching up to me. (Not hard to do since I can't run!) Talk to y'all in the morning! Thanks for being supportive and friendly. :roseshwr:
 
Last edited:
@momof9 I am 4 weeks post op and cannot wait to soak in my:bath:. Hope your recovery is a breeze. Best of luck to you.
 
Very attractive!:heehee:
Glad they don't bug your toes though.
I mean, they do squeeze my toes together a little more than I would like because they were made for a bigger foot (Dogdudes size 10-1/2 foot), but I prefer that over having my toes halfway poking through a hole at the top. It's a sensory issue for me, I felt like I had ripped a hole in the sock and my toes, having a mind of their own, would find their way out.

Has anybody else had a lot of soreness on the heels of their hands from using the walker? My hands are so sore I can barely put pressure on them. It's making it difficult to get up and walk. I was thinking maybe I should ice them?? I feel like I should be putting more weight on my Op leg than I have been, but anytime I do, it hurts, and my leg gets a little wobbly, so I'm not really full weight bearing yet, is that normal for this stage of recovery? I can't stand on just the op leg for more then about 1/2 a second because of this pain and instability. It's frustrating as heck, since the heels of my hands are so bruised feeling. They don't have bruises, but they feel like they do. The handles on the walker are not cushioned, and I can't think of any way to cushion them without making it a bit of a danger. I use my crutches to get to my side of the bed, and sometimes when going to the bathroom from the bedroom when I don't feel like dealing with my walker (small area to move it around in, so it's a little more frustrating to use). The crutches are cushioned, so they feel a little bit better, but still painful to use. I would appreciate any suggestions of how to deal with this. :flwrysmile: And now I must go back to sleep...Sandman is catching up with me. :yawn:
 
@dogchick you can buy cushioned grips to go on the walker, but another solution that I think I saw on the forum was to wrap some thin foam or cushy fabric (maybe from an old towel) around the grips and tape it in place on the edges. That might be enough to get you through the short time (hopefully!) that you are using the walker.
 
@dogchick you can buy cushioned grips to go on the walker, but another solution that I think I saw on the forum was to wrap some thin foam or cushy fabric (maybe from an old towel) around the grips and tape it in place on the edges. That might be enough to get you through the short time (hopefully!) that you are using the walker.
Thank you @jaydub63 I think I will use the towel idea. I put a towel on one of the handles to bring in to the kitchen so I can wash my hair, and wow! What a difference it makes! I'll see if Pup Prince #1 or Dogdude can figure something out for me.
 
Well, I am not feeling very Princess-like today. After the really bad day I had yesterday, I was looking forward to an easier day to myself. Sort of easier, my hair is nasty and I wanted to wash my hair in the kitchen sink. Figured that would be pretty much it for activity today, aside from the usual stretches etc that I usually do. Well, PT called today, it's not PT guy, it's PT girl, who I've never met, long story short, PT guy and I had agreed to do PT on Thursday, not today. Anyway, basically, PT girl said that I wouldn't be seeing PT guy for the rest of the week because he's booked, and she had some cancellations in her schedule for today. She kept asking me if it was ok. I was not my usual Princess-like self and in a snarky way said, "Well, I guess I don't really have a choice now, do I?" She said I did, but if this is the only day they can see me, then clearly....no choice. UUGH!

I almost cried, I really just needed a day to myself. They want to get me outside down my steps and practice getting into my car. Frankly, I don't need the practice. PT at the hospital watched me do it when I was going home. If I could do it then, I can do it even better now. :hissy: I don't want to do the steps...I did them coming into the house after surgery, I did them on Friday with PT guy....why do I have to do it again?? :tantrum: Ok, there's my rant...on to other things.

So, this morning, before the call from PT, Pup prince #1 and I were sitting in the living room, I had made scrambled eggs and he brought them to me. We were discussing what I would need for medication, the TV was on (Live with Kelly & Ryan) and they were talking about something Italian....I was telling Pup prince #1 that "I took my Italian an hour later than usual." I stopped and looked at him for a second because I thought something didn't quite sound right there. :nah: He was looking at me with a smirk on his face (Did I ever say how much I love his smirk face? LOVE IT!) We stared at each other like that for a couple of seconds when I realized what I said...."Nooo! I mean my Tylenol! Not my Italian!" :rotfl::loll::rotfl: We both literally just dissolved in laughter! Good Ol' Dory strikes again! So stinkin' hilarious!

Just now, we were watching the Weather Channel, I was feeling super annoyed at PT, they were having coverage of Hurricane Chris causing some trouble out in the ocean, but that we didn't have to worry about him here in CT because he won't be touching land. So...hope it's ok to say, but Dogdude's name is Chris, and I said, "I'm going to have to text dad and tell him I wish he'd stop causing trouble in the ocean." Pup Prince #1 said, "He'll probably be depressed because he finally has a hurricane causing some trouble and he can't even touch land!" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Again, we both dissolved into giggles and laughter! Ok, you might need to know that Dogdude is the type of person that always seems to have the rain cloud over his head....if something is going to happen...it won't happen to me, it will happen to him. If he is driving, he is most likely to get behind someone who is a jerk, drunk, or whatever....his timing always sucks, so when Pup Prince #1 said that...it was hilarious! I told him he needed to say that to Dad, he'd laugh at that. After I was done laughing, I said, "Thank you, I really needed that laugh!" This "kid" is always the one that makes me laugh when I'm mad...even as a little kid, he'd get in trouble and make me laugh when I was supposed to be mad. LOL! Love him to pieces! I'm so glad to have him in my life. :roseshwr:
 
Last edited:
@jaydub63 The Brand NEW DEE-luxe Redneck Luxury Editionâ„¢ Walker. Comes with sweat wipers and tie-up holders! :snork:

OOPS! Dory forgot to add the picture...here you go:
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure
 
Last edited:
This is what you do when you are bored at home after Hip surgery. Pup Prince #1 created our family on The Sims....Teasing the pup. :snork: He's a huge load of laughs today. I'm so glad it's his day off with me!
 
@Mojo333
Ok, WHAT ON EARTH is the purpose of the hole at the top of the TEDS??? :tantrum: Seriously!! When it is pulled down over the toes and below the bunions, you run the risk of your foot swelling and having the circulation cut off. But if you try to keep the hole at the top, you end up feeling like you are wearing several pairs of flip-flops because it gets between the toes! I'm seriously thinking of taking them off and sewing up the hole.
So you can check the color of your toes....
 
I barely used my walker.
At first I tought it would be mucha easier to move around, aid me to stand up from chairs, etc. But my OS tought me how to use the crutches and i was really surprised on how better they were to move around and to have a much proper gait.
A secondary benefit is that I used them as levers, grabbers, to pick up when my pants dropped out of reach, move shoes, open doors, etc.
I only use my walker to go in and out of the shower as the crutches get really slippery when they get wet.

I would recommend trying out the crutches. You may like them more.
 
I barely used my walker.
At first I tought it would be mucha easier to move around, aid me to stand up from chairs, etc. But my OS tought me how to use the crutches and i was really surprised on how better they were to move around and to have a much proper gait.
A secondary benefit is that I used them as levers, grabbers, to pick up when my pants dropped out of reach, move shoes, open doors, etc.
I only use my walker to go in and out of the shower as the crutches get really slippery when they get wet.

I would recommend trying out the crutches. You may like them more.
I have crutches too, and I do use them in narrower areas in the house, but I get lightheaded and easily off balance a lot, and have almost "tipped over" a couple of times using them for more than just a few steps. (Plus, they are adjusted to the highest they can go, but they are still a little short for me) So when I have to stand up to do anything like do my make-up, brush my teeth, cook scrambled eggs, make my tea, etc. I am much more stable with the walker. I was off-balance long before I had surgery, I'm just a clumsy princess...like Mia Thermopolis in the Princess Diaries. Just realized you are Male and in Mexico, so I don't know if you know the movie. LOL! But the main character finds out that she is actually a princess and her grandmother tries to train her to be one, but she was just very clumsy. LOL! PT came today and tried to get me to walk with just one crutch....I took maybe 2 steps and it was very painful, and I started wobbling all over the place. I kept telling her I wasn't ready for it yet, but she insisted. One of the issues is that when I feel pain, I start getting light-headed and woozy...it's called a Vasovagal response, or reaction, or syncope. Makes your blood pressure drop suddenly. Here's a link about it: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527
 
@dogchick
I do know that movie.
Anne Hattaway's acting is superb.:rotfl:

I live in Mexico but I've lived in several US cities as well. And I love movies, no matter if they are artsy or popcornish.

Give your crutches a 2nd Chance at 2 weeks. Maybe the dizziness fades a bit by then.

Anyways good luck on your recovery.
You'll have lots of time to watch a Mia Thermopolis movie marathon.:tada:
 
Back
Top Bottom