Depression/post-op blues - open for all

I've had 400 reps of physio to do daily from hospital discharge, firstly for my operated leg, now standing on my operated leg and moving my good leg (as this is just as strenuous and load bearing on my bad leg too).
Well all this may indeed be hindering your recovery. Not really necessary at all and very excessive. I would stop all this and see if you feel better. Walking is the best exercise for a new hip.
All I heard from people was how they were immediately pain free and how most problems come from people overdoing it after surgery because they feel so well.
In most cases I am afraid this is a very gross exaggeration. THR is major surgery. Some people just can't face the pain so telling others it's not there is a way of coping. Don't believe them and certainly don't compare your recovery to any other.

Five weeks out is a tough time. Your mind says go and your body is just not ready. Give it time - you will soon see major gains in mobility and energy. Perhaps wait a few weeks to do things as major as a roast dinner. In my experience what seemed impossible one day was easy on another.

I can't tell you to ditch them but most of us got rid of the compression stockings (TEDs) early out. Some don't wear them at all. Are you taking anything to thin your blood? At 5 weeks and with all the activities you are doing I really don't think they are helping. But the decision is yours of course.

Hang in there - it will get better very soon.
 
Hello Jaycey, many thanks for your calm reply after my outburst! Just to fill you in, I took Warfarin for 32 days post op and will have to wear the stockings (I guess) until I have my 6 week appt with the surgeon. I wonder if my hospital is particulalry wary of blood clots because a patient in her 50s died from one a couple of years back after knee replacement? I have cut down massively on the physio, I just couldn't fit it all in within one waking day and the latest exercises just make me too sore. Its sobering how quickly I stiffen up though. I keep doing the knee bends as this is where most stiffness seems to be (just below my knee joint).
Today things feel easier. At least my brain fog has cleared sufficiently that I can do some voluntary work for a local charity (desk based, at home).
all the best to everyone struggling with the ups and downs of joint replacement,
Claire
 
I have cut down massively on the physio, I just couldn't fit it all in within one waking day and the latest exercises just make me too sore.
Great that you cut down on all that. We see so much of this on the forum. All those exercises do is cause stiffness. Please don't get discouraged. This can be a complex process for many. You'll get there!
 
5 weeks post operative and I have lost half of my very thick hair!

@Kiwi71 same thing happened to me after first thr and it was crushing to endure this on top of the recovery aggro with still another thr on the way. Wanted to mention that besides eating well, I took additional biotin and iron and did not shed with my second thr. The second surgery seemed easier on my body than the first, maybe it's a stress or anesthesia reaction. Good news is your hair will start growing back within a couple of mos, I started to see neat little rows of hair sprouting up like a garden :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm depressed after the third surgery. I was depressed after the second. I tried to get mental health services but no one would call me back. I finally saw my PCP and went on citroplam (sp?). I'm feeling better.
 
It all came crashing down on me yesterday. I had been positive and upbeat throughout the whole process. I said the foot drop was just a glitch to a pain free, active life. Then yesterday happened.

I had a visit to the rehab doctor to get a referral to a neurosurgeon on Friday. He had been to see me a few times while I was in rehab. He did his checkup and went on to writing and faxing the referral. He hadn't said much which was not like this guy. He had been the most personable doctor I had seen. I asked him what he thought. He turned to me and rather bluntly and matter fact like told me that he seen minimal improvement in my foot and since it hadn't improved that much he doubts it comes back at all.

This hit hard, but, being a roll with the punches type of guy I decided it would make work harder. Then yesterday I totally shutdown emotionally. I kept looking at my foot and when I did I'd think about what the doctor said and start crying. The last time I cried was when my mom died 38 years ago.

Today being another day I held my wife and told her if not for her I would not be able to make it through the recovery. I decided that come hell or high water I am going to get through this.
 
It's got to be very hard to hear a doctor say that to you, @AWS. Glad you were able to express your sad emotions, and to get comfort from your wife. Eventually, we mostly do get through our challenges somehow, getting better and/or accepting limitations, and I wish you all the best with yours.
 
Complications in this journey can indeed knock you back - big time. It's good you were able to work through the emotional side of this bad news. But you are right - it's not the end. Somehow we find a way to cope.

I was told years ago that I would always have back pain. I guess I reacted much the same as you did - shut down and considered giving up.

In the end giving up just isn't my nature. I just keep going. You will learn ways to cope and live your life. Just another bump in the recovery road that right now might seem like a mountain.
 
This is me right this very second. I'm only 2.5 weeks in from RTKR but I am struggling horribly. It's the meds, I know as I don't react well to them at all.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It has been great to read this forum. I will be scheduling my LTHR in the next day or so. I'm a retired therapist and will use my guided imagery skills to focus on a beautiful future. OK, I'll load the freezer with double chocolate brownie fudge ice cream, I'll get a pile of audio books from the library and I will make it all about me. it is good to know about the blues ahead of time so I will be ready if and when they strike. I can't imagine how awful it must be to get them without warning. I'm glad I'm here.
 
Welcome to BoneSmart @Stella72 ! Not everyone gets post op blues but you are right - it's good to know it may be a part of your recovery.

I hope you will stick with us here through this journey. We are here to support you!
 
I'm in on the ice cream! :) My blues took a day to pass, thankfully. Listening to a relaxation music station helped, so did sleeping, and talking about it with friends and on here. There may be another bout,but I'm prepared. It is all about you, and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi, haven't been here for a while, I hope everybody is feeling much better now. I'm not doing so well, did something to my knee and its very unstable, eventually went on antidepressants because the depression was getting worse not better, I put on 14 kg!!, Have weaned myself off them but not told the doctor. Because of the weight gain my first THR has started to hurt again, getting around is very difficult esp climbing the stairs, even doing exercises in the pool is making my knee worse, I feel as if I'm back to 5 years ago before the first hip. I had worked hard to lose a lot of weight and I'm nearly back to sq 1.I know I can only help myself but putting it in black and white has helped a bit. Thanks
 
@mindy22 so sorry you are feeling blue. Sounds like you need to see someone about that knee! Please don't exercise in the pool until you confirm what is wrong. It is very easy to over do in the pool when you are weightless.

Once you get your mobility back weight loss will be much easier. Focus on what you need to do to regain your mobility.

One day at a time. Hang in there!
 
Hi I find myself feeling like lost, bored in a way but not really... I can't explain it I just don't want to do the things I can and get down or bored with what I can ... it's like the same X amount of things day after day and I don't know when it will end
 
So sorry you're feeling blue, @MyAussieGirl. It's easy to feel this way when you're just beginning your recovery. But things will get better! One thing you can do is go back over your recovery thread. Try to focus on how far you've come even in just this short period of time. Each week will bring more progress. It helps to journal those small milestones and then go back to read them later. Also, if you have friends or family near, give them a call and invite them over for lunch or a chat. Sometimes we just need to connect with others to start feeling better. If the days are at all nice, sit outside and marvel about how wonderful nature is. It's all about making yourself feel special....which, of course....YOU ARE!!!
 
Aww Jamie you're always so sweet...you have a good point here on much of what you said I've made a lot of progress...like today I noticed my leg though still black and blue is not swollen any more... Pm I can move it off and on the sofa... I did sneak walk without the Walker...Our weather is to get pretty good soon near 70 .. I hope to go to church Saturday I didn't ask my doc but I do go to PT on Monday...When the girl at Bath and Body Works heard I was in the car she came out to see me and hugged me.. I think I am just itching to BE well and do even more..
A like diary is maybe a good idea.. I even kinda showered and the tall toilet doesn't bug me much anymore .... I'm trying Thank you Huge Hugs
 
That lack of concentration on any one thing can be upsetting. But it's all a part of this recovery. Hope you can get out in the sunshine for a bit. It will lift your spirits.
 
Today I walked with my Walker at a nursery pricing flowers it was sunny and nice out...I did pretty good still lol I want 100 per cent
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom