THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know...

PT just left. He added a couple more exercises to build a little strength in my quads (single leg heel raises, single leg step ups with stationary op leg and shallow wall squats). He figures it won't be much longer with the cane in the house. Obviously recommended taking it with me for a while when I leave the house or if I end up overdoing things around the house - of course I won't do that!!! :whistle: He's going to come back Friday to do some other progressive abduction exercises. Plans on once a week for following two weeks then we'll be done by the time I visit the doc on the 20th. Probably don't need that much but being one of his more mobile patients we can start to transition (at least in theory) to strengthening.
 
It is a good thing you are a planner. Nice of them to let you know that you had an appointment. How do you feel about being dismissed from PT? Do you think you are ready for that yet? Just curious. Congrats on being finished with the anti-coags. I'm sure that this will make life a bit easier for you.

It is great that your hip surgery has had a positive effect on your husband as well. These big lugs of ours need to be whipped into shape and told what to do once in awhile. It sounds like yours is behaving himself :) Back pain is the pits, and you are right that even a bit of weight loss can help someone's back feel better.

Do you have anything fun planned for the weekend?

Tammy
 
Wasn't that walk around the block the best ever?! For me, the sky was bluer, the trees were so pretty, the sounds so melodious! My neighbor walked with me in the beginning, wouldn't let me go by myself(and I was glad). I would call and ask "will you take Jenni and I for a walk?" Now I am a big girl and can go all the way around the block by myself and have graduated to picking up Jenni poop by myself too! I still feel like if I don;t pay attention I will just fall on my forehead when I lean down, but it hasn't happened yet. Next walk goal for me...the lake!
Glad to here you are leading the pack in your recovery!
 
Tammy, yeah planning does have just a couple benefits... I'm OK with being released from PT. I think having the exercises in my aresenal will help and I'm OK working on things myself. I've always practised good form with exercising (from my old gymnastics days) so I'll be able to work on things on my own pace rather than someone else's schedule. Once things are more normal I won't be pushing myself quite as hard as I have in the past. Mostly longer walks and weekly water aerobics. Before surgery I tried to do more aggressive exercise (back to circuit training and bags/bells) and I probably aggrevated and possibly accellerated my hip problems. I'm not saying I won't do them at all but I'll sprinkle them in as a change to keep my body guessing. I think I mostly realized that I don't have to work out so hard to get results. The last 50 will get off, and as long as I don't visit Bakery Nouveau too often (good thing it takes 30+ minutes to get to), it will come off.

HippyShani, I know what you mean about the walk. I look forward to getting out more in the fresh air. Good news is that hubby has gotten a little more motivated so he'll be more receptive to come out with me. Not sure if there's a new pup on the horizon or not. I say yes, he's talking maybe later. We'll see how the next few months go, as I was wanting to hold off a few months anyway until I was feeling more secure on my new bionic axle.
 
40 minute drive there, finger stick, 40 minute drive home. That was fun...

Apparenly everyone has their hand out to get paid. Sheesh...

Best news: 4 more days of the pills. But I already knew that.
 
Hi dede, sounds like you are progressing very well.. hard though with the 40 min trips both ways.. need to rest after that sort of activity.. go for our mantra.. rest, elevate, ice and prescribed meds.. sounds like an R & R day in jambies is the order of the day..

I hear you about getting out in the fresh air with hubby.. good for the soul :)
 
Poppet, probably need the nap more from getting up early to go rather than the ride in the car. My body clock has gotten all turned around. I'm usually up really early (5 am) and am usually heading to bed after about 9pm. Now we stay up later and sleep in a bit in the morning. I've been really lucky with the car rides not bothering me much, but don't want to push my luck. I'll have to definitely get my internal clock turned around before I go back to work!
 
When are you returning to work Dede?
 
Day after Christmas. I'll see the OS on the 20th to get my release back to work. Two short 3 day weeks with 4 days in between. We'll see if I make it all day or not!
 
From the sounds of your progress Dede, I have no doubt you will have a smooth transition to work. It is especially nice that you have a few short weeks to get back in to the swing of things. If all else fails tomorrow, I will have worked a full 40 hour week this week and no ill effects.
 
Dede, way to go on going around the block and great to have your husband with you, not so great the cold weather, Glad you are doing well
 
Had PT Mike here today. We went through most of the exercises. I've felt some pain and stiffness in my right knee over the past few days. When I ice my hip I ice my knee for good measure at the same time. He said everything is in a new alignment including my knee, so things need to get used to the change. As he was watching he noticed a bit of leg length discrepancy. It is most noticable when I transition exercises from my operated leg (longer) to the other leg. We temporarily cut out the step up and back exercise since that's the one that bothers it the most. The shallow wall sits are fine and don't bother my knee until I stand up. I'll just do fewer of those but try and hold as long as I can to feel the 'burn' in my quads (good burn, not painful burn). Decided to hold off on any new exercises until next Wed. Works for me. As far as LLD, I'll hold off any action until I see the doc and can actually see xray evidence now and a little later down the road. I guess it was good to know 'it wasn't all in my head'.

Oh, had a new milestone the other day. I can now go foot over foot down the stairs. I've still got a grip on the railing but it feels fine. I don't have to use any pressure on the cane when I double step up the stairs. Still using the cane when I first get up in the morning or head any distance in the house where there aren't any counters handy.

Made some banana bread this afternoon, so the house smelled good when PT Mike was here. After he left I made some lemon curd. Hubby really likes it on the banana bread.

[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
 
Dede, had you noticed a LLD before today? Do you see your doctor next Wednesday? Don't overdo it now....we need our Pacific coast Warrior in fighting form.

I can almost smell the banana bread from here.
 
Doesn't it feel good to bake? Frankly, I don't care if I ever. Make dinner again, but I missed baking. I swear I have rolling LLDs, but my OS said to give it 6 months to see where it settles. No matter what, it's so much better than before, now I can go barefoot I the house, which I couldn't do.
 
Day after Christmas. I'll see the OS on the 20th to get my release back to work. Two short 3 day weeks with 4 days in between. We'll see if I make it all day or not!

it will be the energy drain that gets to all of us when/if we have to return to work, even on a phased return.. here is an article from the library... I know you have read this, but here 'tis again - because I care :)

Phased return to work
 
WooHoo! Step over step on the stairs-> Big progress! I do it now without thinking much, although I tend to use the rail quite a bit when I get back from my walk. How is the cane working for you? Take it easy this weekend!
 
GH-H yes, the LLD has diminished to it's current state (first felt like an inch or two, now it feels more like half an inch, but is still noticable). I see the doc in 2 weeks.

Poppet you are our voice of reason. Thank you kindly for all of the reminders. We warriors need the 2x4 to the head every once in a while and hopefully we will learn from others' misadventures.

Nerdgrrl the cane is my on again off again friend. That's short for I haven't really left it behind and I take it with me as my binkie. Not totally convinced I can fully give it up yet.
 
Mmmm, I can smell/taste the banana bread. Yum!

LLD is a curious thing. I had two PTs tell me I had it pre-op, but when I asked my surgeon to even them out for me, he took a long look, had me walk, and said I didn't have it, it was just my scoliosis that made it seem so. Post-op, I don't notice any feeling of LLD. (I can't believe autocorrect didn't change that to LSD.)

I feel my left knee sometimes, too, and often have ice on my hip and heat on my knee. Sometimes the opposite; whatever feels good. Oddly, my strange cats love heat and ice, too; Jo-Riley wants the heating pad and Percy claims the ice. Grayson just wants to be in my face.
 
Step over step! Great job! Not even close. My students have appointed themselves my protector whenever they see me on the stairs. One of the kids we have who is in a wheelchair offered to share his elevator key with me. What a sweetie. Didn't have the heart to tell him that I have a key of my own and was using the stairs as a form of exercise.

My grandson wants me to make the roll-out sugar cookies we make every year. So, I think we may be doing a little baking later on this evening. This is a fun activity that the whole family partakes in. Although last year, when we had 4 of the kids home for the holidays we were baking while drinking. Never a good idea with a few Service Members. I was finding pornographic cookies in my freezers for months! Good times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom