THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, Tammy, but you'll be there in short order; I promise warrior Grand Hoo-Ha! I feel so lazy compared to you getting out and about so much!
 
How sad. If people are going to be pet owners, then they need to be responsible pet owners. Just today, my son-in-law cleaned up after a couple of dogs in the park that didn't belong to us. A couple of people came over and thanked him and then went and scolded the owners. Meanwhile, I cheered from the bench!
 
I live in the city so I feel it's a requirement to clean up after your own pet. I always carried extra bags with me. When I was living in the country both of my dog always went so far off of the road into the bushes I didn't pick up after them there. But if we were on any of the walking trails I always picked up after them. It's amazing how many people don't pick up after their dogs. I remember a few occasions when people thanked me for picking up and I said off course! Wouldn't consider not scooping especially in someone else's yard.
 
Josephine: Just curious, is there usually a tapering off of blood thinners (coumadin/warfarin), or does one just stop taking them all together? Do some transition to aspirin? I'm suppsed to be taking them for the next week (4 weeks total). I'll have my final draw on Thurs or Friday this week. Thanks!
 
[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
Dede, it's about 2:30am in the UK, so Jo won't answer tonight. It is my experience that when you have taken blood thinners for the time dictated by your OS, you just don't take any more. It certainly works that way the the injections, and I can't see why it would be different with oral meds.
 
Thanks, Judy. No real rush on the answer, just curious. I'm a slave to the final orders, whatever they end up being!
 
Dede i was put on 325 aspirin twice a day when i left the hospital (after 6 days).
Last week at my 6 week follow up, i was told i could discontinue that, along with the
iron i was taking.
Keep up the great work!
 
Thanks Dutch! OBTW loved the skating video! It will come back sooner than you think especially since you were skating before surgery. Now if it was me, I haven't ice/roller skated since I was a teenager. I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon so I don't break the number one rule - don't fall!
 
thanks Dede, it felt like i was still a teenager learning, that's the scary part.
I loved my docs reply to my question, "what if I fall"
he said " get back up and get going again"
:snork:
 
Dede, my OS had me on blood thinning injections for six weeks.. they all have their own protocols regarding this topic.. and some transition off and go onto aspirin, others like myself, just finished the injections and that was that.. :)
 
Dede, I had Lovenox injections for 21 days, and nothing after that.
 
Just another data point on blood thinners. On discharge I was given a prescription for Xarelto 10mg, 26 tiny little pills to be taken once a day. Pricey little suckers. That's it, no refills. I suppose it depends on your physical condition, blood pressure, blood tests and the surgeon.
 
Thanks Poppet, Sissy, and John.

The one thing that kind of spurred the question was the Anti-coagulation clinic is being odd about me getting in for my final blood draw. After I saw the nurse yesterday and got my INR values it took them most of the day to get my new dosages. Good news is my values have been very stable so I wasn't too worried. I also had to call to set up for a final draw with them on Thursday. Of course they didn't have anything for then so they were going to schedule it for Friday. I didn't get a call about it (they told me to call back if they didn't call first) and they still don't have a time for me. I'm actually trying to schedule other appointments so it makes it difficult to do so when there's one that appears quite important still hanging out there. Anyway, at this point I'm not going to worry about it and let them call me. If they don't get back to me I'm going to take the same doses I've been on until Monday (my last day). If they try and make a big deal about it, I'll let my OS's office know they were the problem scheduling it. :headbang:

On a positive note it looks like I'll be released from home PT tomorrow. For PT today the PT aide and I took a walk around the block. She said I'm one of her only patients that are walking right now. The main PT will come and do a final assessment and probably give me a few more exercises to add when I feel able. I'm still using the cane but I'm getting closer. She said I'll know when it's time. Let my hip do the talking! :happydance:
 
That is great news Dede. A walk all the way around the block sounds delightful. Is your husband walking outside with you? Are you going to continue PT in an outpatient facility? Or are you done with PT?

I will finish my injections on Monday or Tuesday. I can't bring myself to look in the box to see how many are left. Either way, the end is right around the corner.

You sound upbeat and positive. I know those folks who are lurking and reading these threads are sure gaining a lot from your experiences.

Tammy
 
Thanks, Tammy. We had quite the chuckle today about hubby joining me on my walks. He didn't today, but I'll be getting him out with me on upcoming walks. Part of him won't let me go by myself just yet, so if I can just make it a habit with him, he'll come all of the time. He's not much of a walker but needs to be! It will do him some good as well. His back has started to feel better and I've ben working on him for quite a while on his weight. Hopefully, he'll come around this time.

Once I'm released from home PT I'll be done. No outpatient PT unless doc feels it's necessary after my followup later this month. I'll obviously keep on with the exercises on my own in the meantime and afterwards as well.
 
:yay: Great news to hear about your walk around the block. I hope it was during one of the sun breaks today! It's nice to get out isn't it?
 
Thanks Nerdgrrl, let's just say it was between showers! It was quite chilly and I would have needed to bundle up had it been a longer walkabout! Supposed to get colder tomorrow, so I'll see if I can coax hubby out on a trip around the block again! We've got to run a couple quick errands anyway, so I'll try and split up the activities.
 
Anti-coag clinic finally called and informed me that I do have an appointment tomorrow. Kind of them to let me know! Good thing it didn't conflict with any other appointments...
:doh:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom