Guest viewing is limited

THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not believe that any PT should just use a cookie cutter approach, there are averages and norms on what folks can or can not do after THR, but each person needs to be accessed indovidually, or you end up in trouble. They need to listen to you and your body and not just their schedule.

BS Warriors we are quite a rowdy lot, aren't we:spin:
 
So I had my first 'slip scare' this afternoon. Dang rain. Ran some errands this afternoon and made it through Trader Joe's just fine. Stopped at Target to pick up just a couple more things and shortly after walking through the entrance first my cane slipped then my shoe on the operated leg! Near ouch! Probably scared me more than it hurt. :yikes: After that hubby was in my ear - take your time, take your time. Also had to defensively walk about since no one really pays much attention around themselves... But we're safely home, perched on the couch with dinner in the oven.
 
Whoa! That is scary! I had minor trip scale at home last week. Just a stubbed my foot on the floor kind of trip but I landed harder than I would prefer on my "bad" foot. Luckily, it was more get my attention kind of pain that did not linger. Still scared me, though.

Folks are insane, especially this time of year. I was at a store that wasn't even that crowded and folks were totally focused on what they were after. Makes me wonder how much bumping I just put up with and never noticed before I had a tender joint to protect. So glad you made home ok!!
 
Oh Dede, I'm so glad it was just a scare and not an injury. Where were your warrior skills at? Whack away my friend. I feel in love with Trader Joe's while I was visiting California. They just opened one about an hour away from my house. I've already been down there a few times. Usually tie it in with a visit to this yummy Amish buffet restaurant.

You ladies should try shopping the stores down here in Florida. The "blue hairs" tie up all the scooters and walk in the center of the aisles. I'm not even going to tell you about how bad the parking lots are. But, hey, it's a trade off, beautiful weather.

Tammy
 
Damn! "yummy Amish buffet" .... Drool. You'll be happy to know that the Browns beat the Steelers last weekend... Sigh :)
 
Go Browns!!! I have to admit Linda, that I sort of lost my enthusiasm for the Browns right after they sold the team and moved to Baltimore. When Cleveland brought the team back it just wasn't the same for me. But it is nice to know that the team from my hometown beat their rivals.

There is another Amish place about 1/2 mile down the road from the buffet called Yodders. Fantastic Amish cooking, but menu driven, not a buffet. Their homemade pies and desserts are to die for.
 
Dede, you're almost exactly where I was post-op when I had my first big scare. I was driving home from my first post-op visit two weeks and 3 days after surgery, having been declared perfect and way ahead of the curve, when someone swerved into my lane and I had to hit the brakes full force. I also slammed my operative leg (left) against the floorboard and felt like a spike was going through my hip. I went home to a good cry, ice, elevation, and a whopping dose of ibuprofen. The pain quickly subsided so I didn't call my doctor, but I was sure relieved when my next visit with xrays showed nothing amiss. I've tripped over roots and some other things since then, and I'm convinced these new hips are pretty tough.

I'm so glad you're okay, and didn't fall and hurt something else.
Damn! those blue haired ladies and gents are why the shopping carts are set for minimum speed:tada:
 
:headbang: the slow speeds on these scooters is KILLING me! I think I have mentioned this before, but the scooters out at the Air Force Base are wickedly fast...maybe it has something to do with all those retired fighter jet pilots and their need for speed. If only I could load one of those up in my truck and take it on the road for another few weeks. Sigh!
 
Tammy, sounds like you should have one of the scooters at work! Hey, maybe you can find a golf cart to ride around in. Not sure how well they would do indoors though...Rental?

Yes, I know the Browns beat the Steelers, but in their defense the Steelers are a little banged up right now. Maybe I should contact them and give them a warrior pep talk - maybe shake a cane at them!!
 
Shake away Dede. Believe it or not, a golf cart is the way to go at work. The majority of classrooms have exterior access, meaning that there are no interior hallways. So, a scooter would be severely overworked on this huge campus. Guess I will make a sacrifice and drive my golf cart. When I am allowed to drive that is.....
 
Dede, cane and crutch end can be so dangerous when wet, whenever I even think the tip may have gotten wet, i liik to try them by pushing and turning on any entrance mats, most stores have at least treads at the entrane. Been using a 1 crutch before the surgery and started to go flying on more than 1 occasion, so I always dry the tps. Glad you are okay, and I love Trader Joe's also, that and Whole Foods
 
Beth, great tip!!! Another tool for our aresenol...dry tips!
 
Learned that tip the hard way, but i amreligous with drying my tips, and if I can not dry them to my satisfaction. I proceed with caution, slowly and with flat contact with the tips. Almost took more than 1 digger.
 
Went to the dog park today...kept your advice in mind and not only took care not to get the tips wet, I made sure not to put them anywhere squishy either.
 
Post op day 20

Hit a new milestone yesterday. I was able to roll over and lay on my operated side with no discomfort. :yes!: Didn't stay there long but it felt good to do it. I've been able to lay on my unoperated side since the beginning (even in the hospital) but couldn't lay there indefinitely. I've got a 3" memory foam topper on the mattress so that probably helps. Lying on the unoperated side is not bad at all. Hubby kinda chuckles as I get the two pillows situated between my knees and a rolled towel between my feet, but I get myself turned wihout help. Don't need the extra pillow in front or behind me so no more crowding him out of the bed! :heehee:

Still not ready to walk totally unaided yet but I'm putting less pressure on the cane when I walk and on the counters when I do my exercises.
 
Grrrrrrr.......I want to put pressure on a cane so bad! Can not wait to join you Dede.
 
Tammy,

Hope you had fun at the dog park today. In our area there's been an outbreak of parvovirus so some of the local dog parks have been shut down for a while. It affects younger dogs more because they haven't built up an immunity to it, but also some people are too lazy to keep their dogs vaccinated. It s easy to prevent...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom