THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dede62

graduate
Country
United States United States
Good morning all,

Arrived home last night around 1930 from my posh visit to the hospital to have my new bionic parts installed. I almost stayed an extra nght because the first two nights were spent on a porcelain train ride.

Started bright and early Monday morning for a 530 show and 730 surgery. Got all paperwork and prep done by 615. Met with doc briefly and he autographed my hip. About 710 the surgical nurse and anesthesiologist stopped in. Nurse stated that I got the A-Team. We discusseed the anesthesia protocol he would use (yes I got the anesth doc I requested). He did a light anesthesia with a spinal containing a mere 2 mg of morphine. He expected the morphine to remain local, but because I have to be different it went systemic. After I woke up in recovery and gradually got more nauseated as time went on. Shortly arriving in my room about 1115, I started getting withdrawal symptoms (profuse sweating and increased nausea). That day/night ended up having 3 doses of fenergen to only end up projectile vomitting. Thank goodness it was after my guests had left. PT came n around 3 and I was able to stand with the walker and take a couple sideways steps. Also worked on getting in and out of bed. The PA came by and said exerything went fne and he said there was quite a bit of cartilage wear. Doc later echoed that it was definitely arthritc in there.

As the evening progressed I was able to roll on my unoperated side and stayed there for a couple hours (they were impressed I had such good strength and mobility to shft with little assistance at all.). Since I didn't end up keeping any solid foods down we decided to hold off on the stool softener.

Next morning I ate 1/2 of my breakfast (oatmeal, banana, skim milk l, and scrambld eggs. Had OT and she showed me how to dress. Doc stopped in between his surgeries to check up on me. Discussed itching I got and he thought it was residual from the spinal (and yes that went away). Moved from the bed to the recliner. When walking I feel more pressure than pain. The only pain I get is incision pain when I move around. Have to really focus on not letting the surgical leg from rotating inwards. Ended up getting 4 doses of toradol (potent antiinflammatory) over the first two days. Got the catheter out about 1030 and had a shy bladder up to about 1830. Did PT and walked the hallway back. She said I was doing great at this stage. Did group PT in the afternoon. Had dinner and watched a little tv. Started sleeping on m side and was fine after rolling over on to my back. Unfortunately I got sick again and lost my dinner. Got sick again after going to the bathroom. Ended up using the scopolomine patch with the lower dose pain meds.

PA stopped in bright and early at 530 on his way to one of their other offices. Discussed stayng another night if the couldn't get the pain cocktail right. Washed and got dressed. Nurse was upset that we had already gotten dresses since the OT was coming after 830. Had small breakfast ordered for after OT. Learned how to do tub transfer. Hubby and I had already practiced pre-surgery, and she was impressed by how prepared we were compared tp most other patients. Also tried to put shoes on with grabber and finally determined that DH would be the offical shoe-putter onner. Did group PT and also had pharmacist come up and talk abut coumadin. Ordered lunch and proceeded to go down for a long productive nap. Awoke feeling much better. Ate lunch and took another nap until 3pm fot PT to work on stairs and entering vehicles. Felt good after PT so decided to go home. Had to wait for PA to come back an hour later to complete the discharge paperwork. Left about 1815 and surprisingly didn't hit too much traffic. Came home ate a little and went to bed with my hospital parting gift of a strap on foam wedge pillow.

Went to bathroom 2 times before getting up at 845. Felt so much better than previous mornings. So I'm officially indoctrinated on the post-op side. I want to thank all of you again for all of the support! Couldn't have done it without you.

Wow, that wasn't an easy trip! I'm glad you're home, where it is so much easier to rest. Keep us posted on your progress.:flwrysmile:

Glad you made it to the other side, and that you are now not dealing with the nausea and you can hopefully get some peace and quiet

Great to see you on this side, Dede. I hope all the misery of throwing up is completely over with. Healing is never a straight line, but even with the ups and downs and sideways, it should be steady progress from here on out. Be sure to keep us updated in between your naps and PT. :)

Sharon

Thanks Beth and Sharon. Funny how one thing can overshadow the most basic parts of the process. Now that the worst of the worst appears to be over with, I can really focus in the true task at hand - getting this hip healed though quality sleep, pain relief and proper exercise and nutrittion.

dede62, I've been watching to see when you would show up here! Welcome to the other side. I am so sorry to hear about your issues with throwing up at the hospital. I would rather bleed than puke. I hope it is all under control now. Sounds like the PT and OT kept you pretty busy in the hospital. Isn't that strap on pillow just a joy? Since I don't tend to move at all once I am in bed for the night, I gave up that pillow. Instead, my french bulldog lays there. No chance of rolling over with him laying on top of the covers.

So tell me a little more about the mini-posterior approach. Is it several small incisions on your rear end or what? What other restrictions do you have?

I hope you have a quick and painless recovery my friend.

Tammy

Tammy, thanks for watching out for me.

Hubby just changed the dressings for me and took a few pics. It is a single incision that starts just outside of the greater trocanter and moves at a slight angle towards the back of my butt. It's around 5 inches long closed with 16 staples. About 1-1.5 inches longer than expected. It basically runs in the same line as my panty leg line (high cut). There is only a small bit of bruising and swelling probably due to the constant icing.
You can really only see most of the sweling when I lay down and compare it to the other leg.

It feels better each time I get up to go to the bathroom. Hubby's been great about it all. We're pretty much on the same time schedule. He naps and eats when I do. He really is good about the precautions about the slow and steady moves in and out of the bed and when I have to make a change in direction.

Hope all is good with you and I'm heading over to your post to see your progression.

Oh my main precautions are: no bringing legs together or crossing leg past the center line, obey the 90 degree rule, and no internal rotation with the operated leg.

I'm also weight bearing as tolerated on the walker.

Got call from in-home PT. They'll be by on Friday (tomorrow) late morning to do initial evaluation. Need to have discharge papers and meds available.

Haven't heard from the home nurse yet, but PT person says they visit after PT does (same company doing both home services).

Glad to hear you are safe and sound at home. This is the best place for recovery. No matter how mini the approach, you have still had major surgery and need to rest, ice, medicate and elevate. For the first week I lived in my pajamas and spent a lot of hours with my toes above my nose. Hubby brought gel packs to me. He also kept track of pain medication and brought me tiny healthy meals! ( 3 prunes for breakfast). Be patient and kind with yourself. My walker wouldn't fit in the front room, so I used crutches for three weeks. Wishing you the best.

Hi Dede

What a rough start for you! I can identify, that happened to me after my last surgery, allergy to the antibiotics.

I hope you are feeling much better now. Thanks for sharing your journey, it's good to know what lies ahead. Let the healing begin!!! :flwrysmile:

Best wishes
Diane

Wahoo!

Congratulations Dede on your shiny new bionic hip.. Rocky start, but that is behind you now, so on with recovery.. Well done ( I too have been keeping an eye out for you) :)

You know the drill, rest, elevate, ice and pain meds... Enjoy the napping and just keep in mind that slow and steady will win the recovery race...

Hugs

Catherine, Diane, and Poppet,

Thanks for your kind words and support. It reminds me every day not to take anything for granted and be grateful and appreciative of those around me.

I'm feeling better, and am working on the appetite. I think my brain and gut are still quite sensitive but it will all work out in due time.

Hubby has been such a good soul about everything. Instead of sleeping in th other room, he sacked out beside the bed when I slept on my side. I guess this is the sickness and health portion of our marriage (27+ years plus almost 3 more together). Can honestly say I'm a lucky woman.

Yes, it is great when you have your soul mate there supporting you. I know how much I appreciate mine :)

Yay! You're back! Iknew I should have checked in yesterday but I was so darn tired that I didn't. So sorry you had to deal with a rough anesthetic recovery :sad: Sounds like you are doing way better at home and the rest of it is going well. You are right about feeling slightly better every time one has to get up. I have noticed that as well.

Welcome back :flwrysmile:
-nerdgrrl

Your husband sounds like a real keeper! How blessed you are. It sounds like you are bouncing back nicely after the rough start you had. I am so happy for you. How long will you be using the walker?

Both PT and the nurse are from the same company for me as well. What do your orders say? Mine is for both services 5x a week for 4 weeks. That's fine for the first 3 weeks, but I plan on returning to work on the 26th.

How is your pain level now? Are your meds working well for you? How are you sleeping? Have you found a comfortable position yet?

Hope you have a wonderful weekend. I will check in with you again tomorrow.

Tammy

Well had quite the busy day. PT eval was set for 1130 and we would then meet with the nurse after that. After my sponge bath (and small tantrum because hubby didn't know of a good way to wash my hair - I ended up using some dry shampoo) he proceeded to get out breakfast and sstraighten up things before the pros came. Both th PT and Nurse that cme by today fo the initial evals will llikely not be the ones to come in the following weeks. Mostly the PT did paperwork and the we went through the list of exercises that the hospital gave me. She made a few small suggestions regarding the couple of standing exercises. She's pleased with the low pain and excellent mobility being only day 4. The nurse thn discussed/reviewed the importance of the coumadin. She took a look at the incision and said that we didn't need to cover it once al discharge was gone. There was just a tiny bit from yesterday and she left it up to me to cover it - which I did. Probably won't need tocover it after tomorrow. More than likely it will be Monday when they take the staples out (day 7).She did a blood check and calld back a couple hours later to adjust my dosage for th next three days (move from 2mg to 4mg per day). So we'll hav a different nurse o take out the staples and we' have two other people by for OT and PT. She also measured and marked my ankle to watch for swelling on future visits.

All in all they were here almost four hours : yikes: I was mostly siting in a chair when they first came and then I transitioned to sitting up in bed.

Needless to say hubby and I were exhausted so we both went down for a power nap until my pill alarm went off.

Tammy,

My orders were for PT 3x per week for two weeks. The nurse will be out at least twice a week while I'm on the coumadin. They mentioned OT but it was the first I heard of it. If they/we feel I don't need it then we can drop it. If they need to extend anything we/they can do that as well.

I mostly sleep on my back and rest sitting up in the bed with one of those big wedge pillows with arms. My heel slides are much less painful to do now so I can shift around a little to prevent any sore spots. At least once a night I'll lay on my unoperated side. I can only stay that way for a couple of hours. Currently I'm staying on the second floor where the big bathroom with my raised seat is located. Hubby has been my gopgher bringing my food and water up.

I expect to transition from walker to cane sometime during the scheduled PT sessions. I'm not in any rush at this point. It kind of feels like I have a wooden block under the sole of my shoe - not painful, just a sensation.

Considering I'm on a fairly low dose of meds my pain is in the range of 1-4. It rarely hits the upper level unless I'm moving around a bit. Though I only get 2-4 hours in any one stretch it's good deep sleep.

Here's my pain med schedule:
* 2mg dilaudid and 25mg hydroxyzine every 4 hours (I use an alarm on my phone for this one)
* scopolmine patch behind ear (change every 3 days)
* 1000 mg tylenol (acetaminophen) 3 times a day (both the hosp and home health care say 3000 max vs 4000.
* 750mg Robaxin 2-3 times/day as needed for muscle spasms

I'm also due to head back on 26 Dec. I meet with OS for release back to work on 20 Dec. The first two weeks back are 3 day weeks so that should help with the transition.

Hi dede, sounds like you are progressing very well - great!

' It kind of feels like I have a wooden block under the sole of my shoe - not painful, just a sensation.'

I felt a similar sensation but under the ball of my foot, it resolved after a while..

What kind of shoes are you wearing? Often we have to get new shoes post surgery due to all the realigning that is happening.. something to think about maybe?

I am happy to see that you are transitioning back to work on a phased return, so important. Not quite sure if you have seen this article...

Energy Drain for THRs

hugs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks