Guest viewing is limited

THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe it but I posted my badge of honor on the interwebs! I first only posted the "pretty one" but Bottomshallow convinced me to post the progression so folks can see they do change over time... :blush:

Moving around pretty good today mostly without the cane. I feel a little like a waddling penguin but there's definitely less discomfort. I'm working on staying square when I walk to prevent the waddle. Today's my last day on the blood thinners, so in a couple days I'm going to try swapping out the pain meds (I'm taking a small dose 3xdaily alternating with tylenol/robaxin) with my anti-inflammatories to see how I do. Would like to wean off of them during the day so I can drive to and from work. Luckily I'm not too far from work so hubby could be my chauffer if need be...

Need to head to the dreaded post office tomorrow to ship out a package and get some stamps. Hopefully we'll time it where the lines aren't oo bad!
 
Dede, avoid the post office when they first open, during the lunch rush, and right before they close. I have found the least crowded time to go is mid-morning.

My last injection is tomorrow afternoon!!!! No more blood thinners for us! Yippee!!!!

Tell me how you "square" yourself to avoid waddling like a penguin? I am going to need some pointers.

If I remember correctly, you have one more week before you go back to work. Are you going to do anything fun before you go?

Tammy
 
Tammy, yay for the end of blood thinners! As far as the 'waddling' think of it as walking relaxed vs. walking while trying to stand taller. I try and focus to walk through the step rather than taking a short step/stride-if that makes any sense... Part of it is slowing down my pace to walk with better form. You'll find out in PT that it's not the number of reps, it's about the form, possibly put a pause in to create a little resistance, not the speed of getting them 'done'. No different than getting a great personal workout.

I head back to work in just over 2 weeks. I've had a couple of texts saying that they 'miss my brain'. We get all levels of calls from very basic, some just wanting their hand held, OMG what have I done, and the very complex calls. I'm hoping that they love me for more than my brains!! Unfortunately, my boss is coming off a period of time where she was on bed rest for 3 weeks and then a phased work schedule back (just as I was leaving) and one of my other co-workers was diagnosed with a very serious issue and has been in and out intermittantly during my absence. So when I do get back, I'm going to have to hit the ground running (so to speak). Hopefully the old fatigue factor will be manageable and I'm hoping the short weeks I start back...
 
Oh, I talked with another co-worker and we're going to the bakery next weekend. Yes, THE bakery!
 
I'm sorry that you're going to have to "hit the ground running" when you go back to work. Can you make sure everything else in your life is as easy as possible? Slack off on other duties while dealing with work and energy drain? You'll only be, what? 6 weeks post-op?
You sound you like you are doing great. I get what you mean about the walking----heel, toe, heel, toe.
 
Luckily it's just hubby and I and I'll just have him continue on with the 'chores' on the homefront. He knows I'll be bushed anyway starting back, so at least that will be covered! He already knows it's coming, so it won't be such a shock to his system. :shocked:

Yes I'll be just past 6 weeks.
 
Oooh, the bakery! Have a croissant for me! (you know which ones I mean).

I know what you mean about the walking, although I think of it in reverse. I have to relax and walk smoothly or else I tense up and wobble. I think I tense up and fall into old habits... Hey, whatever works.
 
Even I would go back to work for those chocolate thingys. I could do without any sweets the rest of my life, as long as I could have chocolate.
Dede, your boss has had a phased work schedule, and your other co-worker has been out when necessary, so don't you be the martyr and do more than is good for you. I know you have good sense about your recovery...just saying...Beth is right, take the chocolate things and go slow:)
 
I'm with Dede on this. I would do just about anything for chocolate. But do agree that you should just ease back into the work thing when and where possible. Even though I went back early, I am doing primarily office work and meetings. I am not standing in the cafeteria for 45 minutes at breakfast, nor am I standing outside on the patio supervising the students through alsmost 2 hours of lunch periods. Nor am I picking up any of the additional night supervision duties. I made sure to swap out all my night duties for the months of November through January before I went out for surgery. Made for a super crazy October with 65 hour work weeks, but I am reaping the benefits now. I will work 9 more days and then be on Christmas break for 2 weeks.
 
So everyone is saying eat the chocolate croissants, licking the chocolate from the corners of my mouth and saying, 'You know, I'm kinda tired. I'm heading home. See ya!' Quite the sight gang!

I must have subliminally done a bunch of walking yesterday (mostly without the cane) with Nerdgrrl cause I woke up this morning a bit sore. Decided to sleep in a little longer then get ready and hit the post office about 2. It wasn't too bad until one of the lines came to a screeching halt when a family of 4 was doing passport stuff. Hubby got worried and came in to relieve me but I had already made it to the window. Headed home and iced and am feeling so much better. Decided to hang out a little more with my cane today and it is feeling better.

First day without my blood thinners!!! Does anyoone know if Warfarin causes skin dryness? I'll look it up... Seems like my skin is so dry and I'm using a moisturizing soap that has worked great pre-surgery. Anyway, I'll start back on my Relafen on Wednesday and see if I can replace the low dose pain meds. I'd like to drop them all together but I'll play it by ear. I may need to use them as back up once I go back to work before going to bed. We'll see. No rush, just seeing where I'm really at.

Hope everyone's having an uneventful and restful evening!!
 
Ahhh so have we found Beth's weakness??? Canolis huh?!? I'm guessing there's a good Italian bakery close to where you are....

Here's the website for our secret bakery in Seattle: broken link removed: https://www.bakerynouveau.com/welcome/

Drooling allowed!!!
 
Oh and Nerdgrrl and I will share the secret squirrel handshake to get in the front door with all of our warriors...
 
Dede - that sounds like the perfect plan! I will be doing something similar. My first day back at work there is some sort of Holiday free food and mingling thing in my building.

Your dry skin might also be weather related. It has been raining but pretty cold. I have noticed that my skin is drier than normal as well, and I am not taking any blood thinners other than aspirin. Oh and actually yesterday was my last day on the aspirin!
 
Yeah we'll chalk the dry skin up to the weather. Funny that even as wet as it is here this phenomenon still occurs. :scratch:

For some reason my butt feels like there's a golf ball sized knot in it. I think my glutes are protesting any prolonged standing. I'll blame the post office line and making some quick dinner (eggs) last night. Didn't really feel it until I got up this morning. I think I'll go back to two stepping the stairs going up (going step over step still relying on my cane). Can't wait to start my anti-inflamatories tomorrow. Hope it helps. And yes, I have ice on it as I'm typing. It it keeps up, I'll do a little heat to see of that loosens things up.

Going to lay low today. Hope everyone has a good day on their jourrnies today!!
:friends:
 
I go back on the 19th on flex schedule. I told my boss I would plan on a half day to start and go from there. Funny thing is I have some vacation days I need to use up before my work anniversary (Jan 8) and I have family coming for Christmas (last minute plan). So, basically I will go in for a few partial days, then take a week of holiday/vacation, then come back for real. I figure mostly I will be going through email and getting organized for when I can really dig into things. Somebody put in a work request for me to finish by the end of the year. Unless it is quite simple, that's not going to happen. So there are a few items like that to evaluate and provide some schedule guesstimates.

You are going back around the same time, right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom