Guest viewing is limited

THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going back the 26th for a short week. Then 4 days off, then another short week. My boss and a co-worker are going to stop by Thursday to fill me in on what's happening back at the ranch... I assume (ahem) that the boss is back full time but she might still be on partial weeks still. She was starting a revised phone rotation so I'll find out how that is or isn't going with her schedule, my other co-worker with a new medical condition and me still being out. There is a big federal report that all of our districts are required to participate in that has been challenging the team. Not my particular subject, but I'll be able to help with the other load they've been experiencing. Word has it the new schedule isn't going as well as first thought, so not sure if they'll abandon it and go back to the original rotation or not. My season of training is coming up shortly after I get back (scheduling students for next school year). I'll do what I can...
 
Hi Dede, Glad you are done with the blood thinners and making progress each day. I think you have a good battle plan for work, and yes I love Italian pastries, I live near Providence Rhode Island where there is an area called Federal Hill, which has a long Italian history and good restaurants and pastry shop. I also go to the North End of Boston which is the Italian section where there are several backeries, including a world famous one called Mike's pastry, broken link removed: https://www.mikespastry.com/index.html.
I too am looking at a go back to work plan, after I see the doc on the 18th,
 
Beth, I hope you get some really good news at your appointment! I know you'll stay away from the short stool! I hope you don't have wedgie nightmares!!!
 
Dede, I just went to a training meeting this afternoon to learn about our new Global Scheduling program to program all the kiddies for next year. It is very similar to the system we used last year...but you know how it is in the Education system is.. if it makes sense, don't use it. Either way, I have learned over the years to develop my own Master Schedule and hand-schedule the students, all 2200 of them. Takes time, but ultimately works better than the computer program.

Beth, did I read somewhere that you are in the IT field? I think the both of you will feel better emotionally/intellectually when you return to work. It makes you get up, change out of your jammies, put on your face, and see the world. Granted you will get tired by the end of the day, but I really haven't hit a wall....YET.
 
Yikes, Tammy, that's a lot of hand-scheduling... :yikes: I think one of my fortes is to find the most efficient way to schedule kids. Alternative programs have their challenges because kids in the same 'grade' level can be at such different stages of their particular programs. Our program gives us a lot of flexibility of various settings like schools within a school, scheduling teams (using codes for common courses but restrict them to a specific population of kids without having a butt load of dfferent course codes for the same course curriculum) co-requisite and pre-requisite course settings, etc. Our program is quite robust and you can use as much or little as you need. We often use multiple methods to accommodate various scenarios. Do you let your kids enter their own requests at all (wholly or partially)? Sorry, got carried away there!!!
 
What you are describing sounds like our Automatic Course Requests or ACR's for short. With either of the programs we have used, I can filter, then batch students into specific courses. For example, I can apply a filter for students who scored at 5 or better (out of 6) on our state assessment, then batch them into Advanced Placement courses. Or, if a student makes A/B in Algebra I, then the system will recommend Geometry Honors the next year. In previous years, I develop the Honors/AP matrix as well as the Special Education Matrix by hand, then use the auto feature to develop the rest of the MS. Then I do a run. If I get a return of 80%, I keep it and tweak the rest by hand. However, some years you just have to do more hand scheduling than other years. I do make sure to put my "hands on" every schedule to ensure they are programmed in the right courses.
 
Yup you got it figured out -- like I'm not really shocked!! :thumb: The only near perfect schedules I get are at the middle school level because there are only so many choices. At HS it's rare to be perfectly scheduled without some kind of hand scheduling. I guess I thought you did everything by hand...though we do have some of those! We have similar utilities to mass add requests either by course code, grade, individual students , or by what we call 'processing lists' that we can pull selected lists from other areas (like the test scores you mentioned). We also have an arena scheduling function that can be used (exclusively or in combination with the auto-scheduling). Ok enough of that work talk!!
:wink:
 
Damn!, While my background was orginally database design and programming. I currently run the states Veteran Employment program. I travel throughout my state on a regular basis and do alot of public speaking, training and overall performance/program management. I love my work and being able to help military transition to the civilian sector. I hope once cleared by the doc I can do alot of work from a close to home office and meet alot through conference calls, because I do not think I can spend hours in the car yet. I have been keeping abreast while out and attending some meetings via conference call for some boards I am on, but from a long absence I must be cleared before return
 
Beth, that sounds like fun! Thank you for helping our service men and women. They deserve so much for their sacrifices. I say this as a military wife, mother, daughter, and sister. I work with the local Troops-to-Teachers outreach here in the Tampa area. I get some of my best teachers this way.

Dede, I am a number-crunching fool. It is the math teacher in me. I could talk shop and numbers all night long. It sounds like our programs are very similar in their features and functions, we just call things different names. How neat to have that in common.
 
Dede, how are you doing today, our doctor appointments are coming up. I can hardly wait, you?

Damn!, I had medical issues which kept me from joining the military, so this is like a dream come true as I can support my troops this way. Federal statutes prohibit my staff directly providing intensive services to spouses, but I have been moving in the direction to provide more assistance to spouses, especially when they are relocated and now need employment. You are all set, but a lot of spouses are not in your situation as well as in MA a lot of our troops are National Guard members who have been deployed and while support has improved for them it is not even close to the support the regular military receives. I have a lot of respect for you.
 
Beth, yes our appointments are two days apart. Bittersweet feelings - glad to hopefully be done with preliminary restrictions and I want to see pics of my new shiny parts, but that also means I'll be heading back to work the following week. I love what I do but this time at home has really been good for hubby and me...
 
Hopefully you will miss each other even more and remember this time and then make every second count when you are not a work. When I saw my p ictures last time it was on the infamous stool. I think I will skip that this time, avoiding wedgies:shocked:
I am anxious for the apppointment and it will help me determine which day I can return to work
 
Beth, yes I'm sure the appreciation will continue for both of us. I can tell he's trying to hold on to everything he can to help me out as I'm trying to do a little more for myself. Sweet really.

As far as the appointment I'll definitely be on the lookout to avoid all wedgy opportunities. I'll let the doc sit on the wheely chair. Hubby and I'll be in the arm chairs. I want to remember to ask for copies of my xrays when I'm there...

So my boss and my cube neighbor came by again bearing a huge gift basket filled with all kinds of cooking stuff (three new ethnic cool books, homemade soup mix, cranberry cake mix, olive oil/balsamic vinegar, etc)! It's almost like the knew I was starting to cook again. Oh, one of my co-workers has bees and gave me a pint of honey! Yum!! Actually, I had just taken out some pumpkin dessert shortly before they came (reqlly makes the house smell so good. Got the skinny on what's been happening since I've ben gone and warning me that I'll have a big consult on Jan 8th on the road. I specifically told thm I definitely won't be able to stand and do delivery, and I gave them a list of expectations to have in place before I get there. I'll also have someone come with me to help work the room. This is our 2nd largest school district we service and it is their 1st year with us. The 4 middle schools only scheduled Semester 1, so we have to help them get the kids scheduled for the second half of the year. Normally we have schools schedule kids for the entire school year, so hopefully this evolution will prep them just a teensy bit for the next year scheduling. We'll actually use the same utilities to do the process but they'll learn more of why we do it the way we do. In Jan they'll just be along for the ride...

I have PT this afternoon so we'll see how that goes. I'm feeling less discomfort as I transition from operated to non-op leg doing the exercises. I also have a little less waddle when walking without my cane. Yay!
 
Glad you will be looking out for the low hanging chairs, I tremble every time I see a low chair now. I think I will need therapy:)
When I have read your post in the past, I have always been amazed at home much your husband has done and think he is very sweet from you writings.

Work seemed to have their own battleplan, but I am glad you knew just what to say. You are a rule follower, and right now that is working well as you are taking care of yourself and at the same time still getting out there. Hats off to you,
 
PT didn't show...called and apparently I'm on for tomorrow. Funny how I somehow got a choice of first thing in the morning or last of the day (considering I somehow put it on My calendar wrong...). Something was mentioned about being in some long meeting today until 1. We've been real flexible with the homecare folks. Give 'em an inch... Will probably make tomorrow the last visit; I'll have him give me all the exercises upfront and work on them as I'm able. :shrug:
 
That aggravates me so much, if at least they would be honest with you that they missed it, I would still not be happy, but could at least understand.
I think we both will be moving on from in home PT
 
Dede, new system or not, why on earth would a school only schedule their students one semester at a time? I can not imagine having to deal with the end of the semester housekeeping in addition to having to schedule them all. Oh lord! Why?
 
Tammy, that's what we asked them before they converted in July. We had two rounds of pre-conversion data for them to review and I specifically changed things to exactly what they had asked for. I kept on them about getting all year done before we converted. I really did ask a thousand questions - apparently not the right ones. There was so much post-conversion training in August it would have tipped us all over the cliff if we tried to do anything at that point, but we fixed what we could before school started. They had schedules on day one!. I'm hoping that they don't insist on keeping with the practice... There were so many poor decisions made at that level because none of them made any decisions or let the conversion team know what they really wanted/needed and wasn't what they ended up with this year. They have to tough it out and we'll set things up correctly for next year. Of course, they won't like that either I'm guessing... :gaah:

Anyhoo, had PT this afternoon. He had me walk around without the cane and we decided to not use it in the house any longer and take/use it when I leave the house. We ditched the early exercises from the repertoire and added 5 more. Today was the first time I did stairs foot over foot going up (before PT) got there and did them again while he was here. Re-added the single step up and back. Added controlled down step and side step down to touch unoperated toe and back up. The latter is one that I'll do after I get a little more strength. Attempted one - not qute ready for it yet. Still doing the shallow wall sits and discussed ways to make them more challenging - increasing
time, holding ball/pillow between knees and eventually add external pressure to keep the ball from being pushed out (used to do those while working out). We added 3 kinds of leg raises while laying down on the bed. On back, unoperated bent/foot near butt, operated raised about 6-8 inches. On side, unoperated on bottom and bent, operated straight, don't tip toward the butt, raise leg. On belly, leg straight, raise a few inches and hold for short count. Over time increase reps and try to do the exercises over a period of time rather than all at once right after one another.

Next Wed will be last visit. He'll give me a written report to take with me to Thursday's Doc appointment. :happydance:
 
Had a really nice outing yesterday with my friend from work. We went to The Bakery! It was prerty nasty and rainy out yesterday, so it was so good to go somewhere pleasant. Because we went in the early afternoon, we missed the morning and brunch crowd so there was seating even though there was still a constant but slower flow of customers coming through. We both had lunch; she had a 3 cheese and caramelized onion huge piece of pizza and I had a ham and cheese with mustard/mayo and cornichons on a crusty baguette. We also split a twice baked almond croissant, plus we had hot chocolate/cafe au lait to go perfectly with the pastry. We both took goodies home. I brought a dessert and croissant for both hubby and I - dark chocolate layer cake, buche de noel, an almond and a chocolate croissant (see pic below). He loves chocolate so you can figure out what I got for him. The buche de noel was heavenly (had a hint of coffee flavored icing, chocolate ganache filling, and a raspberry center). The almond croissant was so large that I only had half of it for breakfast. Mmmmmmmm

We also made a stop at a Mexican grocery where she picked up some tamales and carne asada. I ended up getting some chorizo. We had some of that with dinner last night. Yum again...

Considering the drive, hard chairs, and walking around in not so great condiions, I feel really good. Did half of my exercises this morning and when walking unaided it feels really good. Maybe I'm still basking in the glow of all of the good food! Hope everyone else had an awesome day!!
 
Ok pic doesn't seem to want to load. Let's try again...

[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom