THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dog sharing; what a great idea.
Good to hear you are doing well---thanks for posting update.
 
Hi dede62 I am so pleased that you have maintained your progress and had a lovely holiday in Portland.Your husband is right when he says you are still healing and that you will be able to walk further and on inclines given time and patience of course.What a good idea to "share " the dog as all parties benefit and you don't have the responsibility of total care.
 
Hello all of my Bonesmart Angels and buddies! Today is my one year anniversary of the installation of my shiny new bionic hip. I have to say overall I've got a few things to report since my 9 month post...

I am walking again! I have had on and off issues with a stress reaction in my left foot since I started walking in February. I ended up back at my podiatrist again in September because my foot started hurting again (after being in the boot for 10 weeks and crutches for 7 of those). I really did try and go slowly, and my foot slowly started hurting again. Well, we believe that I have a slight leg length discrepancy from the THR. I've had my orthotics re-covered and new buildups on the outside (to keep my feet from rolling out) and I'm wearing a 1/4" lift on the left (started with 1/8, and added another 1/8). My foot doesn't hurt a bit now - yay!

I also have a new walking buddy - Bentley. He's a year old Rat Terrier rescue and he definitely keeps me motivated (or else he bugs the cr@p out of me if I don't get him out). He's got lots of energy and he's cute as a bugs ear (pic below). I'm hoping that after we get him through an obedience class or two, I'm going to look at either flyball or agility for him. He's quite the little athlete! Unfortunately, I didn't take my friend up on my dog sharing too much because at the time my foot was acting up again...

I am still taking a fistful of Vitamin D3 (6000 iu/day) because of the foot issue and my levels rose just slightly after the mega dose I took in June and maintenance (4000 iu/daily) after that. I had my levels checked and it only rose to 37 (started out at 17). My naturopath wants it up to at least 50.

I'm able to get around really well without any pain in my hip. I still have the lower back issue (illio lumbar ligament) and I still have some weakness in my right thigh. I think the foot issue really put me behind in where I should be strength-wise. Stairs are where I feel it the most (going up, not down). I really have to make sure I square up before I start up and make sure my hands aren't too full. I prefer having at least one free hand in case I need to hold on or stop along the way. It's hard to break old habits of carrying as much as one can to minimize the number of trips... Flexibility is good - no complaints there.

My left hip is still hanging in there (shhhh, don't let it know I told you). I have my one year follow-up with the surgeon next month (Dec 12th) and we'll see what he has to say about it all. I'll check in after that and of course for the NEW YEAR'S EVE party!

Thanks again to my surgery buddies and all of the Angels here on Bonesmart. I am ever so grateful for all of the support you have all given me!

Cheers!

[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
 
Great update! I'm so glad your foot is letting you walk again, and what a charming walking companion you have in Bentley. He's so cute; looks like he'd be ready to hop up and go in a heartbeat.

I think about you and the rest of the warriors often. All of our banter and support on BS made recovering from surgery almost fun. Cookie42 is doing well with both her new hips, romping with her grandkids and kitties. Would love to see updates from bellaroma and Damn! nerdgrrl is good---I see her on Facebook.

Keep in touch!
 
Wonderful update dede62 I am so glad they have sorted your foot out with orthotics and that you are walking again.Bentley is such a handsome boy and he sounds like a great walking buddy.I am thrilled that you achieved your dream of having a dog and it is good news that he is a rescue dog too.I look forward to hearing all about your appointment with your OS which is the day before my appointment with mine.My left side isn't too good either so I will be interested in what the X-ray shows on December 13th.I recall that you also had an arthroscopy before your THR. You may be aware of this fact but another BS user was told by her OS that previous hip surgery usually resulted in a longer recovery due to the scar tissue left from the first operation.Anyway that isn't important now because your one year review is excellent.You were so very supportive to me in my early days and I am very grateful
 
Hello "Inner Rule Warrior" aka dede62, where has that year gone... so pleased to hear from you... I am two years post today...

Check out the articles I have in the Nutritional section of the library... I know you are a fan of natural medicine :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

And sissy46 another warrior girl I miss... How are you?
 
Hi, Poppet! I'm doing fine, still loving my new hip. I could say it is a "forgotten hip" except that a day never goes by that I don't remember how miserable I was before and appreciate being totally pain free.

I'm still kayaking, bike riding, taking wildlife pictures, and spoiling three feline companions.

I read your recent update---my advice is, retire ASAP! You're going to love it:SUNsmile:
 
Hi sissy46 I missed your tag because of the special character, but came looking anyway... :)

So pleased you are enjoying life to the full.. Wonderful you so deserve it! Please come back and post photos.. I miss my warrior friends!

Yes the very serious countdown to retirement is happening! But all in good time, we have to stick to the plan! It will be well worth it!

Hugs to both you and dede62 from down under ((( hugs )))
 
Thanks for replying everyone!

sissy46, the recovery period was long and tedious but all of the warriors had me in stitches laughing my way to healing. To this day I swear my Bonesmartie friends played a key role in getting through that period. It's good to hear Cookie42 is doing much better these days, especially after her 2nd hip.

Yes, Bentley is becoming the great little walking partner. He still has some "growing up" to do, but he really is a great little dog (don't let him know I called him little...). Kim22, Bentley is our third rescue dog, and I probably will always get a rescue in the future. Yes, they have an "unknown" past sometimes, but the three we've had have come out smelling like roses. My hubby always says that when he dies, he's going to come back as my dog. Long story short, I get to keep taking care of him (humph...) :rolleyes:

Kim, it's funny you mention the previous scopes, but I figure that any cartilage that was remaining and femur head is gone now, so not sure how much "extra" scar tissue there would be other than the portals used to access the joint. Interesting thought though...

Poppet, what a great article you've written! It's full of great tips and choices we can make. I hope you are feeling better and hope your warmer weather "warms your bones". I'm guessing you're still diligently working on the retirement house, so I'm sure you'll be plenty busy going back and forth. Has your back been behaving and letting you get back to NW? Just stay away from the work fridge (make the youngins clean it out - it builds character) ;-D

Good chatting, friends. Hugs to you all! I'll post again after my December appointment.
 
Great report! Sorry I'm so late to the party, but have been quite busy :) Your new fella is cute, love the ears! Amazing how the foot pain was solve by such a simple fix. Kind of make you wish they had thought of that first, doesn't it? Well, I understand why they might not have thought of that, but wow. I will post an anniversary post soon...but you can always see what I am up to on FB, not that you are ever on ;-p
 
Well, I had my 1 year follow-up with my OS. It was pretty short and sweet. I had Xrays done and he said that everything looked perfect and that I should have it for the rest of my life even though I'm just 51. I'm not sure if I told him that I should have quite the "long life" hereditarily speaking (grand parents/great uncles, aunts, uncles into their mid-90's).

He didn't see any LLD based on the weight bearing Xrays (he used his line drawing tools on the computer program they have the Xrays loaded into), but he said as long as my hip didn't hurt and the lift kept my foot from hurting, then he didn't see any reason to take it out.

I mentioned the strength issue in that quad (end of day tiredness going up stairs, etc), and he felt that it will get stronger over time. He wants me to try and go back to the pool again to see if that will help with the weight management and strength. I told him I had stopped going when I had the foot issue flaring up. Now that it's feeling better, it might be OK to get back in there. Lord knows I can use some help getting the extra pounds off. Walking Bentley has helped, but has not been the magic pill to trigger more weight loss.

He wants me to go back in two years for follow-up Xrays unless I need to see him before then.:happydance:

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
Great report---keep up the good work.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
 
Stopping in on my 2nd Hip Birthday to let you all know things are going great! My hip feels wonderful and a lot of the other "issues" have mostly worked themselves out. No more foot pain on the opposite side, and reduced need to have my back injected for the illio-lumbar ligament (had 11 months in between last set of shots). I have a visit with my OS next year for my 3-year follow-up.

I've got OA in my right big toe (which I have known for a while) and had a terrible flare up this summer, but my good friend Cortisone took care of things for me (at least for the time being). I have a bone chip there as well, but we'll address that when I have to get the surgery on that foot. Not looking forward to 8 weeks non-weight bearing, but the fusion should do the trick when I get it done and get healed. Not on the current radar since the pain is pretty much nil again.

My buddy Bentley is keeping me busy walking every day, and I'm trying to find some new doggie sports for him to participate in since he is such a live wire! He wasn't to enthusiastic with the Barn Hunt (finding rats in tubes - "eh, what's the use, you've already caught the rat. Why do you need me to find it?"), so this spring I'm going to see if I can take him Lure Coursing.:doggie: He loves chasing things that move, so I think it will work out well for him. Since his nose is always to the ground, I may also try some Nosework with him. :dogsniff: Both are very different, but hopefully it will keep him well balanced and behaved! Otherwise DH is at home during the day getting no rest for the weary with the constant desire to play!:puppysmooze:

I've been stopping in on the "new kids on the block" in Bonesmart and giving them some encouragement and hope. I so remember being where they are and just letting them know it will get better helps ease their minds.

Hope all is well with my Warrior friends and the great staff at BS!:cheers:
 
Hi @dede62 What a wonderful 2nd year anniversary update.I am so glad that you op hip is so good and all the other issues have more or less sorted themselves out.I know that these issues were challenging to you during your hip recovery and it is so good to read how well you are doing now.I really admired the positive attitude you had throughout this process and I remember that you were one of the first members to respond so kindly to me on the pre op side. I am so happy that you are enjoying spending time with your buddy Bentley who is a very handsome fellow.I have just re read your first year anniversary post when you were advised to do pool work and I was wondering if you managed this and if you did whether you felt it helped in your recovery.Carry on enjoying your new hip and the life it has given you and thanks for your encouragement and support.
 
@Kim22, thanks so much for stopping by. I feel bad I didn't check back sooner. Work's been a *bug*ger* the last few weeks. Finally starting to slow with the upcoming holidays... I hope you are doing much better. Has the tendonitis subsided???

I haven't gotten back to the pool as I had hoped. The schedule doesn't work well for me during the week, but I'm just lazy on Saturday morning (and it shows)! I get up at 5am during the week, so any sleeping in on the weekend is cherished. I can only pawn Bentley off so long, as he's ready to go out and check his pee-mail and get his breakfast!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom