Guest viewing is limited

THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some cleaning and running around today. Going to a St. Patrick's day party tomorrow afternoon. I'm leaving for a conference next weekend, so I am trying to start getting ready for that. You?
 
Just hanging out tomorrow. I'm restringing a necklace for a co-worker and maybe a little sewing (hemming some pants) tomorrow.

Don't drink too much green beer tomorrow. Well, OK it is only one day! Have at it! :cheers:

Have a good week!
 
sissy46 not much better. Thanks for asking. Caught a nasty cold this week, so that didn't make it any better. Gives me lots of time to see if I can 'guess' what's going on in there while I wait for my scan on the 1st. I have some thoughts and discoveries, so we'll see what they say. I'm pretty sure something is impinging in there (pain on popping when it releases). I suspect there's a bone spur somewhere in there (since my body is riddled with them). Based on where things are hurting and acting it might be peroneal tendinosis. So we'll see how close my guesses are... we can call it Guess the Medical Condition!

Hope all is good with you. Looks like some nasty storms moving through your area. Hopefully you got out before it all started! Happy kayaking! Beth sure sounds like she's doing really well this go-around. I'm so happy it's going so well for her.
 
I hope it turns out to be something quickly, easily, and painlessly treated. You deserve nothing less.

Very severe weather here this afternoon! I was in Cedar Key this week but home now. My hip is perfect, but my left knee has grown achy and bothersome with all the increased activity. At some point I'm sure I'll need to have my OS take a look at it. I don't want to have a knee replacement any time soon so I'm trying not to overdo.

Beth is doing great, and I'm also very happy for her. She's been so patient, and her kayaking time is just in sight now.
 
I wonder if the weather you got was somehow residual from what we had on Friday. We had 5" of snow come in overnight and wreak havoc on the usually Friday light commute! By the end of the day it had melted. I'm about 25 miles north of nerdgrrl and I think the most they got was a little rain. Any snow there was gone before it hit the ground.

Best case will be some taping/boot or just rest then ramp back up a little slower than I did before (not sure how I could go any slower, but...). I already wear orthotics. Worst case would be surgery (probably arthroscopic would do it though). More to come. Not sure if my foot guy would be able to do the scope or if I need to find someone else. I'll have to cross that bridge if I need to later.
 
At least the MRI on April 1 should let you know what you have to deal with, and I sure hope conservative treatment is all you need. I know you said your follow up when you get the results will be April 3. Be sure to let us all know what you learn.
 
Thanks for checking in with me girlies!

Beth, it's about the same so I just have to behave until we figure out what's going on in there. I'll go to the pool on Saturday as my cold is much better and I won't sputter as much!

[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
 
Hey Beth. Thanks for checking in.

The MRI was yesterday both without and with contrast. They did IV dye so I believe they were checking for vascular issues. No shot in the ankle. Spent about an hour submerged halfway in the tube. I see the doctor tomorrow and he should have the results and hopefully we can come up with a plan of attack. I went to the pool on Saturday and while it was Ok while working out, I got some payback pain Saturday night and Sunday. It's a little quieter now, but there's a low burn all the time now. It is pretty sore to walk barefoot, so I'm trying to keep shoes on when I'm not icing. What I noticed was I was walking more medially in that foot to compensate for the outer ankle pain. I unearthed my walking boot from when I had heel surgery just in case. My appointment is early in the morning so I'll post when I know something (or not).


:shrug:
 
I noticed I hit 20 weeks on Monday. Nothing new to report on my hip as it is still doing great! No pain or any movement issues there! Knock on wood, it doesn't seem to get tired or stiff much if at all. I've started training more in my job (my area of expertise is in high demand at this time of year), so I'm standing more hours and feeling good there. :yay:

My left foot and ankle is another thing...

Went to foot guy this morning. So I've got some serious stress (said similar to bad bone bruise) on my 3rd metatarsal (long bone in middle of foot) and I'm in my boot for a few weeks to see if we can calm things down since the orthotics and rest didn't seem to resolve things much. He's concerned that the bone could break if we don't go more conservative at this point. The ankle pain he feels is from the compensating (probably started after hip surgery and was exacerbated when I started exercising again). Didn't mention any impingement or bone spurs from the MRI report and pictures (though sometimes I really have to probe him for more info and guidance). I head back for a follow-up in 3 weeks and we'll see how it is then. I asked for a copy of the scan and report from the facility be sent in the mail. Fingers crossed! And we wait...
 
Oh, what aggravation. No quick fix, and nobody but our Inner Rule Follower Warrior would be able to handle this conservative treatment well and graciously. I hate to think what you'd hear out of my mouth if I got put in a boot for 3 weeks. At least he didn't see a need for surgery. You'll still be able to do your water aerobics?

I am really glad to hear your hip is doing so well, and your career is going well, so those are two real positives.
 
sissy46, no I'm even avoiding the water aerobics for a while to truly give it a fighting chance to heal. I went last Saturday and while it feltt fine doing things in the pool, that night and the next was spent icing and elevating. Dang it!! Well, it's still early in the year so I will try and be good so when summer's here, I'll be good to go.
 
Well good news it is not a fracture yet, but bad you need the boot. IR warrior you are doing the right thing by elimi nating activity for now. Wearing the boot for 3 weeks now is better than hurting it worse and being in the boot for 3 months
Wow, standing for hours and no pain.Lefty has been a real trooper during Righty's surgery , but couldn't say we could do that yet.:dancy:
 
Darn, I was hoping it would be an easy fix. Glad to hear you didn't break anything. If you just want a cardio workout I suppose you could swim with a pull bouy. We're thinking of you!
 
So I started wearing the boot Wednesday for my foot and ankle "stress reaction" to the 3rd metatarsal. I didn't realize how tired I would get lugging the extra weight around and altering my gait. I pretty much have plopped myself in my recovery loveseat while I'm home. I ice/heat a couple times a day (which helps). I still get the occasional twinge in the foot or burn in the ankle.

I had a little scare on Friday night coming in from the garage after work. I've got 5 stairs from the garage to the house. I've noticed that the strength in my op hip isn't the same just in the few days being in the boot (a bit more stress and of course things are still healing). On the second step up, as I was coming up (new good leg / op hip side), I must have planted my foot a little crooked, but when I stepped up, it felt as if my hip gave way and I nearly went down. :yikes: I had my hand on the railing (thankfully), and was able to make it up the other three steps without issue. It was quite a shock (and of course all kinds of things when flying through my analytical brain). It was a little sore, but I iced my hip/back when I iced my foot and it was fine when I went up to bed. When I look back on it, the fatigue definitely played a role in it all. I had to go to a client site earlier in the day, so I was out of the normal routine (extra drive, sitting in different chairs). I'll have to watch it as this next week progresses, as I have a stand and deliver training on Wednesday...

Waiting for the MRI report to come in the mail. I'm a little curious what else they found and what the status of my right arthritic big toe is... When they did the scan, they actually did both feet. I understand they do that so they can compare the two feet as they read the scans.

Hope all my warrior friends are doing well!!
 
This warrior is doing fine, but so disappointed that you're having these issues. I hope you get the report in the mail, soon. I always like to read these things for myself, too.
Pamper yourself, and try to get plenty of rest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom