Guest viewing is limited

THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you week went well, work has been in full force, driving more and more, between doing what I have to do and preparing for when I am gone agian, it is giving me a headache, so I hope you at least can have a non-traveling week, it will make me feel better knowing one of doesn;t have to do it.
 
Beth,

Yes on this short week I'm in the office on phone support every day. Next week I hit the road once a week for three weeks straight. I'll also have a couple in-house trainings in addition to the phone support. I think I have a day and a half for any prep and do what I need to do for myself until the end of February... no rest for the weary.

Crixus and I are still spending time together at work. He gets his rest on the weekend as well. He sends his best to Watson, his cyber brother. Hope you both have a great week!
 
So here's an update for the week.

I hit 11 weeks this coming Monday. Man it's still amazing to think of the work that was done and how well things have gone in this relative short period of time. It was a pretty regular week at work - phone support all four days. I really need to get up more often from my desk. I don't know that I'm ready to stand for extended periods yet, but I need to stretch for sure. I'm at the stage where getting up from sitting is feeling the stiffness and need to take that second or two to stretch out the hip before taking any steps. Even though I'm taking Crixus with me to work by the end of the week I didn't use him much in the office at all. Just first thing coming in from the parking lot and when I left for the day. A couple people have commented on how well I'm walking (and are surprised I'm going w/o the cane).

The worst part has been going up steps at the end of the day - when I first get home from garage to house, then when I head up for the night. Its the first step up with the operated leg that is the worst. Funny that as I go up, it's not as bad towards the top. It is however geting better though.

Hubby asked me how I was feeling the other day (he asks me every day), but my response was that day 'eh, OK.' So as we talked about it a little more I realize I wasn't seeing much progress. He asked me the best question ever - is it better than it was a month ago? Yes, of course. So mu progress is perfect. I'll stop looking so short sightedly and look at it in bigger windows. He's so smart!

Well, I'm going to go out on a short walk. I'm honestly not doing much yet, in fact I need to get back to my exercises a bit more regularly. I'm heading to my pain doc to see if he can set my lower back straight.

As usual, I have to thank all of you for getting me here! Hope everyone has their best week ever!

:thankyou:
 
Dede, you're at the point now where the gains are not as easily measured and observed. You're walking unassisted...that was a big measurable sign of progress, probably the biggest. Pain is minor....stiffness when you get up, something sharper when you go up a stair....but really nothing that hinders you. Fatigue is more manageable. Three months from now, you'll be saying much the same thing....you'll still feel a little stiff when you first get up; some days more than others. You'll still feel a twinge on the stairs. You still won't be fully energetic day in day out. You might even say all of this a year from now. It doesn't mean you haven't progressed...it does mean you can't measure it based on what aches and pains you do still have.

Instead you'll start to meaure based on what you CAN do. You will be able to walk longer and longer distances and enjoy it. You'll be able to stand in line for twenty minutes without getting agitated and looking for someplace to sit down. You'll have a full day of work AND go out afterward AND plop into bed feeling like you've had a pleasantly tiring day instead of an exhausting day. You'll tackle several flights of stairs and you won't feel that twinge.

And that lower back....that's probably going to be responsible for a lot of what lingers on after the first year or two. I sure wish lower backs were as easy to fix as hips. :)

Sharon
 
Dede you are doing great, Crixus doesn't mind the break. When I'm at my desk I get up every hour, have to move, Watson is basicaly on my other side now. It seemed a couple of weeks ago, everyday brought amazing change, but it does seem slower now but I agree with sharonslp, it does get harder to measure. Hope you are having a good weekend and appreciating the time with hubby
 
Sharon, oh wise one, thanks for that shot in the arm. I know it gets better every day and I know I'll always have the up and down kind of day. I think that's my body saying, you're not 25 any more. I always say that if I don't get hit by a bus, I'll live to be a ripe old age. Keeping the perspective on what I can do is definitely the new perspective I need to have. Thank you.

Beth, I need to take that page out of your book and remember to get up more often. It won't be long and you'll go through the hoop one more time. Hopefully the road time won't be too challenging for you between now and then. I appreciate your support and I'll be hanging in there with you through your next one cheering you on! Hubby came with me.this afternoon on my walkabout which is a big change for him and a nice one for me. Movies tonight and football tomorrow. Just a nice time together! Hope you have a nice weekend (not working on kitchen cabinets)!
 
My experience with recovery was that in the early days/weeks I passed many milestones.. then all of a sudden progress seemed to flatten and went a lot slower.. I figured it was my body realigning and settling in with its new hip.. :)
 
dede62 when I have desk work I try to get up and walk as often as possible. We have ergonomic software that "recommends" breaks based on level of computer activity. I find it is recommending a " longer" break about very 45 minutes to an hour. I take that is a good opportunity for a 5 minute walk.

I was just thinking about this feeling like I wasn't progressing this week as well. It helps that I have started going to the gym again so I am measuring my cardio progress. All that rest and not much walking means I need to work back up my cardio shape, but I *am* seeing some progress there! Makes an interesting challenge to work on cardio without overdoing the hip.

Have a great week!
 
Beth - The way mine is set up, it records that I took a break at the recommended time, for at least the recommended amount of time. It does record inactivity/vs activity, but my employer doesn't track that other than break compliance. It has quite a good amount of flexibility for set up. It also recommends smaller "micro" breaks (typically about 8 seconds) based on activity level. Apparently, more frequent short breaks are more effective than less frequent longer breaks, but the best is a mix of both. Of course the more madly I am typing/mousing the more breaks it recommends which, I will admit, can be a bit frustrating under deadline. But given that I am a developer, I can get hyper-focused and forget to take breaks, so it is definitely good for me. My company requires all of our IT staff to use this software to cut ergo injuries, and from what I see of statistics, it seems to be working. Interestingly, the ergo software company is based in Australia. Let me know if you want to know more pros and cons of the software. We piloted several a few years ago and this one was by far the best IMO.
 
I have similar software. I can determine the timeframe for the breaks and how long. I also have the option to add an extra five mins to the timing if I am doing something critical.. It was recommended and supported by HR.. So I make sure I do it.. Bathroom, kitchen for a drink, stand at the back of my desk, walk the corridor.. Anything to stop getting stiff.. Not from my hip, but my back nowadays :)
 
Just a mild caution regarding activity following replacement:
More intense activity results in greater polyethylene wear for THA patients
  • January 29, 2013
More intense activity, rather than amount of activity, has been linked with greater in-vivo polyethylene wear in highly crosslinked polyethylene implants, according to a results of a study from the Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting.
“It seems like implant wear in patients behaves similar to wear in a car engine where fast driving and many short trips cause higher wear than slow, long distance driving,” Rachel Senden, PhD, of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology at Atrium Medical Center in Heerlen, Netherlands, stated in a press release.
Senden and colleagues compared two patient groups similar in age, weight and BMI with Stryker ABG-II 28-mm cobalt chromium total hip arthroplasty systems. Among both groups, Hip Dysfunction & Osteoarthritis Outcome Score, Short Questionnaire to Assess Health-Enhancing Physical Activity score and physical activity were similar, but impact loading was greater in one group, resulting in a higher annual wear rate of 0.134 mm/year compared to 0.047 mm/year in the group with more intense activity.
“Based on this information, patients can be better instructed on what protects their joint form wear and what activities can be performed without affecting longevity,” Senden said. “Given our results, patients can protect the longevity of their implants without being less active.”
Reference:
Senden R. Poster #404. Presented at: Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting; Jan. 26-29, 2013; San Antonio.
 
Hi Dede, glad to see that all is well with you. We are breaking in a new scheduling program this season...interesting to say the least. It is put out by a company called Global Scholar. Are you familiar with them? The program we are using is "Pinnacle." It has some great, and not so great features. We are coming up to the busiest time of year for me. Trying to program the students for next year, create a new Master Schedule and teacher assignments all while still running the current school year. Whew! Things kind of ramp up now and will slow down....just in time for prom and graduation.

How goes the traveling with your job?
 
Tammy, thanks for checking in. Yes we're busy kicking down the alligators here as well! End of Semester 1 grading, Semester 2 schedule changes, and prep for Next Year scheduling.

We use Skyward for our Student Information System. It is an integrated package including multiple modules of student record keeping. I haven't heard of Pinnacle or Global Scholar. Do they only focus on the scheduling or is it a multi-module program as well? I've begun my training season for Future Scheduling. Had a class last week and I have to get my timing back in sync. I ran a little long, but I have another go of it this week with another group and I have two classes next week. We do both local and regional training, so we try and reach as many of our clients as we can. We also try and time the training with what they're doing in the buildings, which can be challenging in itself - some want it earlier, some want it later (then they don't come...). I'll be busy now until July with the scheduling stuff and getting through year end. At least there is a group of us and each one of us doesn't have to know everything about everything. We definitely pool our resources!

Hope you have a great week!
 
12 Week Update!

Holy catfish, Batman! Did I just write 12 weeks?!? :yay:

So I can honestly say that things are SO MUCH BETTER than they were at 6 weeks. And my 6 week mark was pretty good with regard to recovery and progress. Thanks to Sharon, I am looking at what I can do or the things that have changed. Just in the last week I've noticed the following: :happydance:

  • I can get up from a chair/couch and I don't feel like I need to "stretch" before I take my first steps.
  • I can change direction walking without any hesitation.
  • I don't have the gimpy first few steps when I start walking (out of bed, from chair, out of car)
  • My cane stays in the car now. I have it close enough if I need it.
  • Able to carry full laundry baskets both up and down the stairs. Hubby's back went out on Saturday, so it was somewhat of a necessity, but was nice to know I could do it.
  • Didn't get too utterly tired this week with work, even with a road trip on Wednesday (hour + to and from training site).
  • Can squat and stand without thinking about it.
  • Can easily pick things up off of the floor.
  • Putting on socks and cinching shoe laces are no problem.
  • Discomfort on first leg starting up the stairs is nearly gone.
  • Was able to stand for over 4 hours straight while training.
  • I have started doing structured walks in the afternoon.

I visited my pain doctor for my back on Thursday and got an injection in my Illio-Lumbar ligament. It has gotten better as the days have passed. Still not perfect, but better. Where I feel it the most is when I slightly bend over to reach for something (usually from a standing position). Most of the discomfort is in my glute near the end of the incision at the back side and sometimes in my back. Still healing there, obviously!

I am keeping myself in check still refraining from joining the over-doer's club (although I have scheduled a trip to Costco tonight after work). So, cheers to Bonesmart, my warrior friends, my surgeon, my other docs on the team, and my family. I couldn't have gotten here without you!


:cheers:
 
[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
What a fantastic update, Dede!!!! Your recovery is just going gangbusters. I just love the positive vibes. We're proud that we could be a part of what got you where you are today. You're another BoneSmart poster child for hippies.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
 
I am so happy for you. What a great report able to pick things up off the floor with ease, WOW. I soon will be joining you though, just have to have a little more patience. Poor Crixsus, but he will get over it, glad you are on the mend and on the move:yay:
 
Wow, I can't believe another 4 weeks have passed since my last "official" update. I'm officially at 16 weeks today. That means I've been back to work longer than when I was home recovering on the couch!
[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed​

In the last four weeks, here are things that have changed:
  • The cane has been moved from the car back to the house. No longer feel the need to have it close.
  • About 14 weeks any residual groin pain has disappeared.
  • I can vacuum (and trip over the cord)
  • Can carry most of the groceries in from the car/garage
  • Can walk 1-1.5 miles without any tightening or residual fall-out. Goal is to walk between 1.5 and 2 miles regularly.
  • Did water aerobics at 50% (last Saturday was first time since June). Never really got my heart rate up too high, but will increase intensity each week.
  • Can pick up my training materials from the floor in a copy paper box (over half full) and carry them up stairs.
  • Stairs are no longer troublesome, even after a long day. Still keep a light on going up and down. Don't want to pull an AussieMike. :snork:

I still pop in during the week here and there to check up on my warrior buddies and chime in on some of the newbies as well to give some encouragement. Certainly not as much as when I was at home though. Every time I'm on my phone at home, hubby asks me if I'm talking to the Hipsters!

Here's hoping that everyone on the "other side" is doing better and to wish the best to those getting ready to take the plunge to a better life! It will get better!

:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom