Guest viewing is limited

THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrgh! Sorry you didn't get a more definitive answer, but it sounds like you are on the right track. It sure would be nice if the Vitamin D helps you with healing. I know so many folks around here who have low D.

Thinking of you!
 
Six month anniversary today! Cannot believe how fast the time has gone since last November.

My hip feels great. The muscles in my leg still need a bit of strengthening (especially since the foot issue reared it's ugly head), but other than that I couldn't ask for a better outcome at this point. The scar is a thin light pink line, barely noticeable now. I still like sleeping in bed or sitting on the couch with a pillow between my legs, but I think that's more of a back issue than a hip issue. I am still having trouble with my back (illio lumbar ligament), but I also think most of that is from the foot issue (boot, crutches) than anything else. I'm scheduled for another injection in my back at the end of the month. I'm hoping that once I've gotten the green light to remove all external aids that I will also be able to strengthen my back so that I don't have to get the injections as often or at all (it will have been 4 months since the last one). I can sleep on either side without having to shift all of the time. In and out of the car, getting up from chairs, couches, etc is not a problem anymore. So far, lefty's feeling fine as well... :whistle:

I'm still sidelined from most activities because of the stress reaction in my foot. I do have to say that it is feeling a bit better, but not 100% yet when I'm in or out of the boot. The new orthotics I got last week feel really good (on the one shoe I'm using it in, and in the other shoe when I'm out of the boot in the evening). I'm hoping that coddling it a few more weeks will make the difference. I haven't heard about the results of the Vitamin D testing yet, but I increased my intake to about 5000 IU's a day from the supplements. Probably not a bad thing for me as I glow when I enter a room (not much of a sunbather). :heehee:

I have put on some weight being sidelined the last few months, so hopefully when I'm able to get moving, my mind will help me also keep on track with what's going in the pie hole. I really want to be well under where I was at surgery (or definitely on the way) when I go back to the OS in December (1 yr follow-up). I really need to get back to journalling everything I eat so I can keep more honest with myself.

It's great to see so many of my hip peers doing so well and I've seen some of the other newbies at the time not posting as much any more. That's a good sign. I hope they are getting on with their lives and enjoying every minute of them. :beer:

I still stop in during the week and post here and there. I'm following a few of the newer hippies and adding a cent or two occasionally. I loved interacting with everyone daily when I was in recovery and I think it was a key component in the outcome. So again, I thank all of my fellow warriors, staff, and hippies that encouraged me through that time.

I'll post any new updates as they come..
 
Hi dede62 Just read your 6 month review and I am so glad to read that your hip is so good. Well done !I hope it's not long before your foot and back issues are resolved and you are able to do the activities that you want to do again.
 
I called the OS (2nd opinion) I saw for my foot and asked about the bloodwork we did to check my Vitamin D. It was low (didn't actually tell me the results), but they are having me take a weekly pill of 50,000 IU of Vitamin D for 8 weeks. After that I'll use regular supplements around the 4-5000 range. If for some reason my foot still isn't healing by the end of July, I'm supposed to go back in and see him.

I see the first foot doc next week. His plan was that if it was feeling better, I'll transition into my athletic shoes for a while. I've had to start taping my big toe on the right side (previously diagnosed as hallux rigidus - stiff toe - with bone spurs, of course). I've been taping my left foot using that KT Tape (kinesiology tape) and it feels better with that than the ace bandage. I also stopped on the way home from work to order some new athletic shoes. I got some mostly black ones to go better with my work clothes.

[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

I'll let you know how the appointment next week goes...
 
Hi DeDe I like your new shoes It will be great to get back into athletic shoes once more It sounds like the tape is doing its job and making your toe more comfortable My physio used the same tape on my knee before the op and it really helped Do you know why you are deficient inVitamin D ? Are you still managing work ok ?
 
Hi dede62 I think I sent the above message to the wrong Dede Ihope you get it ok
 
Kim22, thanks for checking in. I hope you're hip flexor is feeling better...

I don't get out in the sun much (and we don't get much here in Northwest Washington). We're just getting into our "sunny season" which is about 10-12 weeks long usually starting in mid-July. We've had a few beautiful days here and there this spring, so I'm hoping the weather gods don't take it away from our normal summer days. I have very fair skin and I burn easily. Even though I'd only need to be in the sun about 6-10 minutes, I usually don't have enough skin showing to really do any good (I read having your back exposed is probably best, and I'm not too comfortable doing that). So, it's supplements for me. I think once my levels get up to a normal level and stay there, I'll just need to be diligent about taking some every day. I do eat dairy and eggs, but not enough to fully supplement what I obviously need. I'll be starting those mega supplements this week, so hopefully by the end of July things will really be much better and I'll have a bit of summer left to enjoy!

Work is fine. I've been able to do my stand-up training, but I'm tired afterwards - more due to the foot in the boot than the hip. I'll be glad to hopefully shed that this week! Knock on wood; it's feeling better this weekend.
 
Hi dede62 Your weather sounds as bad as ours with limited sunshine so no surprise that so many of us are deficient in Vitamin D I don't think we check the levels routinely over here and it is just being recognised as an issue I think the skin cancer scare has made us all too over zealous with the use of sun blocks.I hope you get rid of the boot very soon and you can start to wear your new shoes
 
No boot - check; No crutches - check; Walking in sneakers (albeit slow) - priceless! :egypdance:

Went to foot doc today. I let him know about the other OS appointment (low D - 17.7 ng/mL, orthotics, etc). He took my expensive orthotics and made some modifications to them to align them similar to the ones recommended from the OS. We discussed making a new pair with more lateral support, although since insurance doesn't help pay for them, I'll have to think on that one. Possibly, the over the counter ones will do just fine and I'll use the others in my work/dress shoes.

He finally acknowledged the pain in my ankle and said it was my tendons working hard to keep everything in alignment. :doh: I do still have a little soreness in the foot as well, so over the next two weeks, I'm just going to be in my sneakers (even at work - yes, got a note so no one can complain I'm not following the dress code) taking it slow and steady.

Hopefully with the Vitamin D kicking in and getting out of that lousy boot, my foot will start feeling better and my op leg will get stronger now that things aren't so lopsided. I'm still going to get the injection in my back next week unless some miraculous event occurs between now and then and it goes away.

I go back in two weeks for a re-check, then hopefully I'm done for a while! I'll do a follow-up with my GP to get my Vit D (25OHD) levels rechecked mid- to late-August. After my 8 weeks on the 50K D3 supplement, I'll start supplementing daily to try and keep my levels at a "normal" level (over 30 ng/mL but not over 100). Hopefully after the two week check, I can slowly start walking beyond the ADL's. I've given in and decided no hikes this year, but will work towards that for next year. Need to work on my stamina at this point (feeling like such a slug with no formal exercise).

Hopefully anyone reading this is doing well, feeling better, or are well on their way!
 
Hi dede62 That is wonderful news -no wretched boot, no crutches and normal shoes. You must be so pleased to get out of the boot ! I hope you make excellent progress with your mobility and stamina and that your Vit D levels come up and stay up. Like us over in the cold and wet UK you need some sustained sunny weather to soak up the Vit D I read that we should be in shorts and t shirts in sunny weather without sun block to get our requirements I take a calcium and Vit D supplement daily. I will be thinking about you and sending healing thoughts so you can start to reap the benefits of the new hip x
 
dede62, that is good news about no more boot.. With your sunny days, if you sit outside and just have your forearms exposed for 20 mins you will actually absorb sufficient Vitamin D to help with your supplementation...

Lovely to catch up with you 'Inner Rule Warrior' :)
 
Yay! Good news! Are there any exercises you can do to help strengthen your ankle? Maybe then your tendons won't have to work so hard. I am going to ask about Vitamin D at my next physical as well.
 
Yay! Good news! Are there any exercises you can do to help strengthen your ankle? Maybe then your tendons won't have to work so hard. I am going to ask about Vitamin D at my next physical as well.

There are, but I'm holding off on those just yet because they put a lot of strain on the foot as well. I'm hoping that the orthotics will help train the muscles to work more efficiently and get a little more stable on their own. As much as I love walking barefoot around the house, I think I'm going to have to evaluate that as well.

Poppet and Kim thanks for your kind words. I love the support you share so much!
 
Just checking back in for an update. I just hit 8 months yesterday. Unbelievable how fast the time has gone!

My hip is doing great, though every once in a while my thigh is a little tired going up steps (particularly at the end of the day going up to bed). Otherwise, no pain in the joint and I've got a little pep in my step again. One of my co-workers saw me leaving work the other day and mentioned that I'm walking much quicker and I don't have any limp from the foot issue. My foot is mostly healed, but it is still sometimes sore when I get up in the morning and if I've been off of it for a while and take those first dozen steps (like the old hip start-up pain after surgery). I'm still not walking as far as I'd like to at this time, but it's due to the foot, not my hip.

I've noticed a tiny click if I step to the side sometimes, but I really don't even think about the hip otherwise. I still have a little numbness on the underside of the scar towards the trocanter, but no pain or sensitivity there. I'm totally off of all pain and anti-inflammatory meds now (and have been so for a few months). I finished my high dose Vitamin D regimen this week, so starting next week, I'll do daily supplements. I'll have my bloodwork checked about mid-August to make sure the levels are back up and are staying up.

I've got to get the post-op weight off (ugh...) plus a bit more after that. Now that everything seems to be working better everywhere, I don't have any excuses for not getting out.

School's finally out, so work has calmed down quite a bit. We'll have a little reprieve from the activity until about mid-August. I'll take a little time off the last week of July just to take a break. No set travel plans, so I can't test out the scanners at the airport yet. :heehee: Still haven't gotten a new dog yet (still working on hubby), but I hope to have another walking partner before too long.

Hope this finds everyone on the upswing!
 
Hi dede62, congratulations on your 8 month milestone... Where has that time gone. So pleased that you are doing so well and finally able to get a break from work... Enjoy you deserve it ! :)
 
Great update! So happy for you that your foot is progressing well, too.
 
dede62 Its wonderful news that both your hip and your foot are both doing well and you are starting to walk well with more speed again.The holiday has come at a good time to allow you to rest as well as work on your walking .Good luck with convincing your hubby that's its a good idea to get a dog and with the weight loss.I think there are many of us on this site, including me who have to face loosing weight following months of inactivity and cheering ourselves up with the odd bar of chocolate or 2.We are returning home from our holiday on Tuesday so its back to Slimmers World on Wednesday !
 
Checking in at the 9 month mark (yesterday). I've been doing fairly well. Still not walking as much as I'd like, but I'll get there. In fact I took a short walk at lunch today and things bothered me a bit (front mid-thigh to groin), but I was starting out uphill. Things feel fine now, but I got sore pretty quickly; it resolved once I settled back to my regular duties. Walking around the house and the office and the house is fine. In fact, my co-workers keep commenting how well I'm getting on around the office. Sometimes I get frustrated that I feel like I've always got an excuse (foot, weak leg, etc), but Hubby reminded me I'm still healing and it will get there.

We took a trip to Portland (the Rose City) for a few days at the end of July and did quite a bit of walking. No issues there, so I know it's just a matter of time. The 3-4 hour car ride wasn't a problem at all for me, thank goodness!

Still no dog in the house yet. My friend that lives a few blocks away is going to "share" her dog with me. I'll head over and take her dog for a walk around the neighborhood some evenings. She's having trouble with her knee, so she can't walk as much as she used to. She started riding her bike and doing some yoga, but the walking is hard and she can only get the dog out a day or two a week. I'll let you know how that goes...

Hope everyone is doing better than they were a month ago; and for those just coming up on their surgeries, it won't be long and you'll be on your way as well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom