Guest viewing is limited

TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
well debbie i agree with marina. your posts are always honest, funny, informative and as a new user to this site I have been reading yours from day one of your op. When you have TKR its quite frightening and doctors can only tell you so much. People who have through it themselves is a different story. Its so nice to see what problems arise and what people do to solve them. Im only 11 days in and had my staples out yday so feeling a bit down today. Tomorrow will be better i know that. Take care.
 
Hi Debbie..I took my potty chair away at about 7 weeks out...Weird feeling when I sat down...waaaaaay down..lol...but now am used to it. My oh my, what we have to do at times...
 
Ooh Marinablue I did that too. I just now have to grab something so I can get back up! Which is usually the door frame or door handle.
 
Yes, I do that too. I am so looking forward to being "normal" again....lol
 
Just been catching up on you Debbie - so sorry about all your sister's probs & your BIL's ill health, really hope things improve for them all. Just found pics of your motor home - wow! Must put a pic of my caravan on so you can see the difference, your car trailer is as long as our caravan! It looks completely luxurious, hope you can use it soon. Take care, keep bending & stretching (gently) x
 
Hey Deb, how's your shoulder doing? Are catching up on your rest alittle now that your house is yours again?
 
hey Jacky, shoulder is doing great. How is your neck doing? Do you have a recheck soon or are you finished at the doctors until the pain comes back? Hopefully you will get a lot of miles out of those shots. Not sure you would call it resting since my sister and BIL left yesterday. I had bedding to wash and beds to make and our milk check got posted so I had to figure if everyone could get paid...LOL Milk price is finally coming up, but dang so is everything we have to buy for using on the farm. Then we had to go to town for flu shots and then hubby took me out to eat at a new place right across from the clinic. It was pretty good. Today encouraging Dave to get his exercise in. His doc wants him to do a half hour a day or she would have increased his blood pressure pills (his pressure is finally coming down) so every morning I get him to come down and do my Leslie Sansone DVD walk away the pounds. It is really funny to watch him as he can't keep up and has no rhythm. Hope it will get easier for him, but at least he is doing 15 minutes with me and then he knows he has to find something else to get at least 15 more minutes a day.
 
I'm glad to hear that your shoulder is doing great!:thumb: I'm glad to hear that Dave's BP is starting to come down, that's a plus! Does he still have to wear his collar?
Wow you must be a great persuader to get Dave to exercise with you, kudos to you!:friends:

As for my neck, it's not what I want it to be yet, the very day I got the shot it felt great but as time passes, not so much. I do go for a follow-up on Nov. 5th, so we'll see then what's up, maybe another shot.
 
Sorry Jacky that your neck is still hurting. Are there a limit of shots you can get in a certain time frame? Dave is still wearing his collar. I think he is getting rather use to it. But I read where using one for too long can be bad as your neck muscles get weak. Just like all of us knee replacement people using a raised potty seat, we use more muscles to get off a regular stool. Our muscles get lazy.
 
Maybe it just needs more time to work. It does feel somewhat better. I think they can go up to 3 shots, however I think he'll probably will have me do some PT cause he mentioned it the last time I saw him.

I could understand where wearing a collar too long would weaken the neck muscles, will he do PT after it's taken off?

As for the raised potty seat, I never used one but my toilet is alittle higher than the standard ones. It was still tricky at first though. As for lazy muscles, I've got pleanty of those right now myself!:heehee:
 
The raised potty seat is getting old! :hairpulling: How long does one have to use it? I know I can't stop yet but am just wondering as I have been avoiding bathrooms outside of the home!
 
Elanor, you will use the raised potty seat for as long as you need it. I know the other day at the hospital I had to use the bathroom and there were two stalls, the handicapped one was occupied so I thought I would go for it. No hand rails, but did put my hand on the big toilet paper dispenser for on the way down. That part is always more scary for me. Getting up was no problem, so that is what made me think I didn't need the raised one at home. I do have two small hand railings in my bathroom. I usually grab one of them on my way down now. You have to keep doing exercises that will strengthen your quad muscles.

Jacky, Dave's surgeon did say something about PT but not until after his next appointment later next month.
 
Let me share a tip about getting on the toilet without the raised seat when you are not at home... Reach down between your legs and find the seat with your hand. Make sure your hand is facing fingers forward .. You're basically just moving your arm back and down to the seat.Then hold your TKR leg king of straight, and lower yourself down to the seat slowly using the arm that is between your legs touching the seat.. Your arm strength kind of helps steady you and takes the burden off your knee and quads. Of course, make sure you wash your hands even if you put the seat protector paper down first!!! Never know about those germs!! But this method works and it sure beats not being able to go out!!
 
Oddly enough, getting down on the toilet it easy for me. It is getting up that hurts. I will try your suggestions, especially once I go back to work in another week, Thanks Debbie and Titianlady!
 
Elanor, the tip I gave you works well getting up too!! You're using your arm to push yourself up and steady yourself!! Give it a try at home.
 
The raised potty seat is getting old! :hairpulling: How long does one have to use it? I know I can't stop yet but am just wondering as I have been avoiding bathrooms outside of the home!
When I asked about a raised toilet seat before I left hospital the PT said "you won't need one of those" - end of conversation!!!
 
TitIanlady, I've been using that method very often, it didn't click until I read your post above. It really does work!:thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom