Guest viewing is limited

TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you certainly had your hands full at the weekend, Debbie. Hope everything went well for you all. Thoughts still with your BIL.
 
Thanks guys, my BIL is out of ICU and he is getting a hickman port implanted today to make giving him his meds easier. He was feeling some better yesterday. Hoping the new medicine helps his heart work better.
 
Good to hear your BIL is out of ICU and to hear he was feeling a bit better yesterday. Life can be so tough at times.
 
I didn't think I would have anything to report today after PT because of having family here and not doing completely what I should be doing for my home therapy. First went into pt and rode the bike and then that thing where you do the leg push offs. Chantel wanted to measure me but could tell I was stiff yet so had me go to the table where she started pushing on the kneecap and digging into the muscles around the knee. I just relaxed and it didn't hurt and let her do her magic. She then had me do some heal slides on the wall while she started working on another person. I just kind of zoned out and closed my eyes and kept moving my foot lower and lower on the wall bending my knee and then I heard her say, hey, that looks good I better measure and I told her while my eyes were still closed, give me a second and kept going further down the wall and when I told her that was it she measured and I got to 110. I got a high 5 from her. I know so many more of you do so much better. But when I quit first pt guy and was only getting in the 90's and he told me I needed a manipulation I was so upset. It just shows you that if one therapist isn't helping you, to go to another.
 
Debbie, you continue to inspire me! Ya always give me something to expect next week... We are definitely on the same track. Well done.....:yay:
 
Debbie that is really good news that your BIL is out of ICU and feeling somewhat better and I hope that new heart med works for him. I hope this gives him and your sister new hope! I agree with Kathy, life does get tough at times, That's when the tough get going!

Wow, your numbers are really moving, you wall walker you! We'll have to start calling you Spider Woman! No MUA for you little Debbie! It seems you got the right PT person this time, :yay: for you!
 
Debbie,
Glad to hear the good news about BIL, those things really give you hope. And great going on your ROM numbers sunds like you are really moving along now. Keep up the good PT.
 
Wondering if anyone that reads this uses, or used a pillow wedge. I use the Footsmart pillow wedge since before my surgery and it has worked well. I am almost 10 weeks out and lately noticed I am become more restless in bed and I thought maybe I am ready to go without the wedge. Last night before bed I iced really well, so figured I didn't have to ice in bed like I normally do. Wanted to try a night without the wedge. I woke several times during the night, but would move around and go back to sleep. Around 5 I woke to go to the bathroom and was really sore so put the wedge back in bed and sleep for another hour and was comfortable. So I am asking, how long did you all use a pillow wedge or pillows and have to lay on your back. I like laying on my side, but not at the cost of my knee hurting.

Taking Dave in to the doctor again today. He said that is all he does lately as yesterday took him to the dermatologist and had a bunch of spots frozen and one scraped to be tested. Today taking him in to see if he can get approved for a sleep study. He is still dealing with the high blood pressure and now his snoring has gotten so bad I am ready to move him out to the motor home. I can literally hear him above my tv in my bedroom when he is in another bedroom. And my niece could hear him when she slept in the basement bedroom. I researched the sleep study and said high blood pressure could be from snoring too. So seeing out deductible is met, on to more testing.
 
Debbie, I did use the wedge for about 1 1/2 months then I couldn't take it on my back anymore, I am a side sleeper as well. So when I started on my side I put a king size pillow between my legs so my knees are not touching each other and it keeps my spine straight, I still use that method. As a matter of fact I've been doing that for many years and it helps a lot.

As for Dave and a sleep study, I highly recommend it! I had the study done almost 7 yrs ago and believe me, I do have sleep apnea and the machine helped a lot. I felt more alert during the day, they frown at work if your sleeping :zzz: I don't know why, they found that during the study I actually stopped breathing in my sleep, which is fatal and cause your heart to work extra hard during the day to make up for lack of oxygen in your blood stream, hence high BP. Not good! I would end up sleeping in another room, because Norm wasn't getting any sleep for fear that I wouldn't wake up. He's the one that noticed that I wasn't breathing and would continually wake me through the night which really peved me off, I had no idea I wasn't breathing. Almost broke up our marriage, poor sucker didn't even know that was the perfect time to let me go, if I was to die in my sleep heck the insurance was paid up! :yahoo: Now that I have lost weight I haven't used the machine since I left rehab or maybe a few weeks later. So in my honest opinion he should have it checked. Wish him luck for me!
 
Debbie, I used a foam wedge too. I'm a side sleeper as well, and after about 8 weeks I just had to try and sleep on my side. I got one of my slushy ice bags, secured it to my knee with a stretchy ace bandage and lay on my side with my leg bent just a bit, and flat pillow between my knees. It worked very well. It felt soooooo good to lay on my side again.
With the ice bag wrapped around my knee ther wasn't much discomfort. I found that the flatter the pillow I put between the knees the better.
 
I'm so glad your ROM is improving! Your BIL is in my thoughts.

So, you guys have all been sleeping in your backs since surgery? For my first knee, I started on my side while still in the hospital, and for this one maybe my second or third night home. Kudos to all of you for being able to sleep on your backs when you're more comfortable on your side: that's true perserverance.
 
Taking a deep breath here and letting it out. My BIL got out of the hospital last night and they live over 2 hours from the hospital and it was foggy last night. So found out that he had enough of the medicine with him and home health wasn't coming until this afternoon, so I talked her into coming back to my house and staying. My sister was so tired she said it would have been hard to drive home yet last night. Lucky I had washed my sheets yesterday, because when I saw how weak my BIL was I knew he couldn't make it down the steps to the guest bedroom that my sister had been using and that the bathroom was too far away. So I gave up my bedroom and bathroom to them. Good thing as he got up 4 times during the night. My sister does have her hands full with him. He is on medication through an IV 24/7. Since last week he has lost 20 pounds of fluid that he was retaining. He is downright skinny now. So now I can take a breath. I am glad I could be there for my sister, but I tend to over eat junk when she is here and need to get back into my routine for exercise and therapy.
Dave and I will be going for our flu shots later today. Do you all get them?
 
Your sister is very lucky to have your support.

Yep, I always get my flu shot. Except for two years ago when there was a long line and the pain from my knees was just too fierce.
 
Sounds like you have your hands as well as your house full! I am sure they all appreciate your hospital-ity.

As for using a wedge, I just use stacked pillows, and eventually end up off sliding off sometime during the night and wind up with at least one between my knees. I live for my CryoCuff. I don't think I could do without it. It is so easy to use. Can stay on all night, and is easy and quick to refresh if needed.

As to your husband's snoring, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago, and have been using a CPAP machine for the last 15 years or so. Like Jacky, it was discovered that I too stopped breathing during the night. Sleep Tech advised me that the lack of O2 to the brain could cause serious damage. So.... in an effort to retain as many brain cells as I can, I have a machine here at home, and another one in the truck. I use it all the time.

Best of luck to you and your family.
 
Deb, you are the sister everyone wants! You are a very caring and generous person!:thumb:
Your sister will have her hands full for quite a while with her husband, but if she's half the woman you are she'll be okay!

Stay well my friend and get some much need rest!:friends:
 
Hi Debbie...You are such an inspiration to me. Thank you so much for the informative posts and how kind you are to everyone. You are indeed an angel...
Hugs
 
Looking around the board, me thinks there must be another Debbie that Marina is talking about. Oh well, love the compliment and I will take it.

OK, question for those reading this. For those that had a raised potty seat. How long did you use it? I can get up fine from the toilet, but still used my raised seat. Finally took it off today and first time I went to use it I forgot that it was lower and did a little free fall, but didn't hurt, just scared me a bit. I thought for awhile it would be easier to keep the seat on my toilet, but really need to get back to normal. I might put it in the motor home though when we go to AZ as that toilet is a little bit lower and Dave always has the seat up on that toilet and this way he has to aim a little better...:loll:
 
I actually never used the raised toilet seat. I found a way to get on the seat without one, so I really can't answer that one.

LOL! LOL Debbie. Yes that may make Dave aim a bit better!!! LOL maybe I should just put the raised seat on my toilet for my husband to target practice!!! LOL
 
Hi Debbie. Glad you BIL is doing better. 1st question, I use a wedge pillow, I am currently 19 weeks with the right knee and 9 weeks with the left. I still start each night with the wedge to help with the swelling, but before morning I have pushed it out of the bed and have a pillow between my knees because I prefer sleeping on my side as well. :) 2nd question if you think your husband has sleep apnea please have him tested. I also use a cpap machine, I stopped breathing for an average of 26 seconds at a time during the sleep study, that was enough to convince me to use my machine every night. Not the sexiest thing but it keeps me breathing. 3rd question, I have lowered my chair over the toilet but have not removed it, so much easier to get up and down. I will let it go soon I hope.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom