THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sissy46, you are so funny. Yes, I am at work, but am proctoring an exam right now. So I have a few minutes to check in with my BS peeps.

Since I ended up being allergic to the detergent used by the hospital, I had to put on my own clothes the night of surgery. I had purchased some men's boxer shorts and undershirts. I lived in these things for the first two weeks post op. And yes, you go commando under the boxer...but don't worry, they are wedgie proof.
 
Tammy, I'm reading a good novel you might like, Kings of Colorado, by David E. Hilton. Reads like a memoir, set in a boys' reformatory high in the mountains of Colorado in the 1960s.
 
Nanal, you might want to check with your OSs office. Did you have/are you going to be attending a pre-op class (not all facilities offer them)? I needed to bring a change of clothes (for me it was sweat pants and long sleeved t-shirts/tops as I run a little cold) because part of the Occupational Therapy was to learn how to dress yourself with your new hip precautions (if imposed by your doctor). I ended up taking enough for what would be a maximum stay (3 nigjts) but I only stayed 2. I was glad to have the extra change of clothes just in case I either didn't make it to the bathroom in time or if I got sick from the meds. Make sure you have either slip on shoes or shoes with elastic laces as you'll want a good soled shoe to practice your walking around over your stay. They won't let you go barefoot (except to and from the bathroom) and definitely not in stocking feet unless you have those socks with the rubber traction on them (my hosp gave me a pair during my stay). My hubby also stayed in my room for the whole stay so we brought a few plastic bags to carry our dirty clothes home.
 
I don't wear PJs at home, but brought a pair to the hospital but didn't wear them. I just wore the hospital gowns provided and then they gave me a pair of one-size-fits-all (XXXXL) paper boxer shorts so I don't scare the staff and visitors. You're only in there for 3 or 4 days, half of which time you're a bit woozy and in no condition to dress yourself. But by all means, if it's important to be a fashion model for the staff and visitors, bring some fancy duds, if you like.

Oh, I did bring a pair of sweat pants and a sweatshirt, but only wore them for going home.
 
My story is pretty similar to above. I brought clothes to wear during the day, but they kept me in a gown and matching "pants". Because I had the drain in until I left, it would have been impractical to wear even sweats in the hospital. Plus I had an incident where I was in the bathroom and the bottom end of the drain came loose. Soon I was standing in a small pool of blood. Thank goodness that doesn't make me queasy! I was glad I was all in hospital duds and they just brought me new ones after getting the drain all figured out and reattached. You might want to call the hospital or your doc's office and see what their expectation is.

Things I did find useful:
-Toothbrush and other toiletries
-smartphone/computer (my hospital has wifi - thank goodness because daytime TV is terrible!!)
-cup with a lid - the hospital had cups with no lids, but since I needed to keep my leg elevated it was nice to have the extra security of a lid with straw.
-slip on shoes for going home
-change of clothes for going home - or same clothes I wore in since they were barely used

Good luck!
 
I had someone bring my MacBook the next day. The TV had movies on demand and that sort of thing, but I just couldn't get into it. I loved getting back on facebook. And I wish I had thought of the cup with a lid. I wore my loosest pants and sandals to the hospital (Florida in September) and I think I had enough swelling in my left foot that regular shoes might have been a bit tight. Something to consider.
I noticed as I did laps in the hall with my walker that every other patient I saw was also in the lovely hospital gowns, so I didn't feel funny about it.
 
Roger that sissy46, wedgies not needed or desired. I too brought lounge pants on me to the hospital, stayed in the gown and went home in the lounge pants, loose and comfortable
 
I went home in my boxers. At least I wore the ones that had chipmunks all over them with "has anyone seen my nuts?" written all over them. As Sissy says, November in Florida, mid-80's, so I wore sandals on my feet.
 
Skirt, top, and crocs for me.. SO forget the undies.. So went home without any... Still chuckle about that...
 
sissy46. - yes same SO...

bellaroma - yes waist to just above ankles skit.. It was summer here at the time :)

Hugs to all warrior girls
 
Poppet, with that slit, you must have been very careful or provided some entertainment, I have had some pretty embarassing moments, but that would have been high on my list:)
 
Darn! iPad auto fill gremlins meant to say skirt... Not slip or slit.. Just as well auto fill didn't populate it with a u... If you get my drift Hehehehehe !

I am more worried about the Miss Perky comment from my OS bellaroma
 
Poppet, I am relieved:) I would be the last person to ever complain about spelling mistakes, as I make a habit of them, but that one did make quite a difference to the message
 
I get so frustrated when auto fill is turned off and still it populates with crazy words.

Don't worry everyone has a giggle at me with it :)
 
Tammy, how was your day? I was talking about my fellow warriors today on the creek---good laughs about the butt scooting boogey and Beth's wedgie. My friend thought your handling of the dress code violations was brilliant.
 
Poppet I think we've all had those typo/autofill moments. I remember one from a male co-worker (our token male in our 12 person team) sent something about wanting to say something like constitute and it got auto corrected to constipate. We all had a good laugh about it knowing full well it could have come fom any of us! I've been posting from my smartphone so I'm constantly trying to proofread and correct. Sometimes I'll edit the same post 3-4 times, other times I just give up... I haven't used as many emoticons because they end up in the wrong place.
 
Hi girls! I think I joined the "knew better and did it anyways" club. Whew, am I tired!

Went to work today...again. Worked exactly a 40 hour week this week. Nothing extra. Didn't even bring any work home all week. Went directly to my first outpatient PT appointment. She read the script that was faxed and it said "Patient may begin single crutch and/or cane ambulation if 50% WB poses no issues." Holy cheese and crackers!

So, for the first 15-20 minutes it was measurements. To which the girl says "wow, you're pretty flexible." She gave me a variety of exercises to do there and at home. So we spent about 30minutes on about 6 different exercises which included having me demonstrate rolling over on my stomach. She kept reminding me to stop bending past the 90 degree mark. Didn't realize how often I was doing that.

Then, she hands me my crutches and tells me to go over to the parallel bars. Once I got there, she took the crutches and handed me a cane. She had me walk back and forth between the bars. Lurched about a bit...kind of like a drunken sailor. She handed me back one crutch and off I went. Not to bad (I said to myself). So, I am now given the go ahead for 75% wb. We will try the cane again in the later part of next week. Yippee!!!! Then it was a few minutes of calf stretching and 15-20 minutes of icing.

Went home a mere 10-1/2 hours after I left the house. No sooner sat down then one of the girl-children says, "hey Mom, want to go to PetsMart?" Grabbed my 1 crutch and off we went. Walked all over that store to buy dog food (to supplement Bandit's ice cream habit....see photo). Then off to WalMart. Got a scooter there and took out a School Supplies display demonstrating to the daughter how I could turn on a dime. That was a little embarassing :blush:. Whoopsie!

Then to our favorite Chinese restaurant for some yummy take-out. Home by 8:00 pm. Left in the dark, got home in the dark. So I grabbed my ice packs and laptop, got into my jammies and logged in to check up on all my fellow Warriors.

Tammy
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
    Ice cream.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 183
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom