Guest viewing is limited

THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening Tammy
I'm back doing the physio today. Am only to do a few of each exercises at a time and build it up. Wish I could have a rest in the day but libido king after young children I have to stay on the ball :cheers: :zzz:
 
Poppet, one of the nice things about working at a school is that there are plenty of kids around to clean out the fridge!

I'm pretty sure that I am officially back at work. Whoopsie! Went in and did my 8 hours today. Still taking it really easy while I am there. I no longer walk everywhere. Now I just get on the radio and request a kid to come pick up stuff and drop it off at other offices. I love those little grunts. Students and faculty alike love me on crutches as they say they can now hear me coming and I won't be able to sneak up on them anymore.

My school is what they call a magnet school. We are 100% application and do not serve a specific neighborhood. All of our students have to be accepted into one of our programs. While we may resemble a vocational school, we consistently place in the top 3 high schools in our District (27 high schools + 3 career centers) in all academic areas. Demographically, we look like an inner-city school with 77% of our students qualifying for free lunch. Academically we perform like a Prep school. My kids look and talk ghetto-fabulously, but academically perform like Poindexters (brainiacs). We have programs from welding, culinary, computer systems technology, architecture, pt/ot, radiology, EKG tech, etc. I have donated a copy of the CD with my hip, both before and after THR, to our health academy students. Boy has this been a conversation starter. One kid came up to me this afternoon and asked me if magnets would now stick to my hip. Crazy kid.

Looked at the calendar and the PT orders from the doctor and realized that TODAY WAS THE DAY that I got to start 50% weightbearing. Wow, that's still a lot of work. Noticed that for the first time in almost a week that my thigh was swelling again. I think the wb had something to do with it. I only noticed it when I was brushing off the back of my pants and realized that I didn't have a butt cheek anymore. Left side, check! Nicely rounded, clearly delineated butt cheek. Right side, negatory! Straight shot all the way down. One giant butt cheek.....Sitting on my ice pack now.

No increase (or reappearance) in the deep thigh pain. Outer thigh burning....well I might as well get used to it since it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Hip flexor is feeling pretty tight still. Haven't found, or been told any exercises to stretch those out.

Major milestone alert** I put my own socks and sneakers on today. Getting some flexibity back! Yay! So, I got dressed all by myself today. Go me!

That's it my BS peeps....much ado about...well, not much.

Tammy
 
:goodpost: What a great school! I know those little grunts love you, too. And, uh, well, do the magnets stick? I would try it but I can't find a magnet, LOL!
Ice and elevate time for Tammy after an 8 hour day. Whatcha doing tomorrow? Maybe half day?
Good about the socks and sneakers, but Cookie still has us all beat....
 
I'm not too sure about that Sissy. Just like you...I tried it on the good leg and managed to knock myself in the forehead with my foot. :rotfl: My daughter caught me doing it and wondered if I was alright. Now, how do you answer that?

FYI: the magnets do NOT stick.

Going to play tomorrow by ear. I have a meeting set up with a teacher at 6:45 am and then another one at 7:15. I won't resume my normal arrival time of 5:50 am until after the holidays. A quiet morning planned...so may be I will be able to duck out at lunch time and leave my guilt behind.
 
Tammy, sorry to hear you're cuddled up with your new best friend - ice, but it does do the trick. I've noticed over the last two days the need to ice a little more (both hip and knee). Have you been released from the rest of your precautions yet?

Not sure there are too many hip flexor stretches you can do until you're a little more weight bearing. Kinda catch-22. One my doc has me do is affected leg is back with other leg in front. Put pressure on the back leg and stand up straight pushing through the front of the hip. The other way you could do it is by kneeling, but I know I'm not getting close to the floor yet and not sure you are yet either.
 
Dede, the doctor has not released me from the rest of the restrictions yet. I see him again on December 20th and anticipate being a free woman then. I have started accidently breaking one here or there, ie: crossing my legs at the ankle and bending a bit past 90 degrees. Starting to stand in the shower as I hate the chair. But I do put the majority of the weight on my left leg... so I think I'm good.

Saw this and thought of our Warriors
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!




Go get 'em!
 
Just be careful there Hoo-Ha! I've had the urge to cross my ankles as well but my inner rule-follower reminds me not to.

Love the zorro! Take that!
 
I have caught myself crossing at the ankles lately. However, my legs were both elevated at the time, so I hope it evens out the potential clotting issue. Actually, I am hoping I am walking enough that its not a problem. Since that was one of the few restrictions I actually had, I guess I am a terrible rule follower!

Wow, Tammy, you are having some big days. Just make sure not to overdo... Your school sounds really neat! I was peripherally involved with an organization here that provides an intensive academic program for at-risk kids. They have had tremendous success. I was able to observe a couple of their classes, and the kids and teachers were amazing. I bet your kids think you are strict but quite a hoot.

Love the Zorro!
 
Yay Tammy 50%, glad you made it, take some ice, but think that it's just your body adapting to the changes. Your school sound great and I am glad that you have alot of kids serving you. Are you speeding in the gold cart? The Zorro is to funny. Hope you day went well
 
Where are you? You worked a full day today, didn't you?:cheers: Are you remorseful?
 
Hi all @sissy46 busted me. Yes, I was at work today. Got in at 6:30 am and stayed until 2:30 pm. Don't know what I will do when I go back to my regular hours. 6:30 am is so decadent for me. Had planned on leaving early, but had a kid in crisis today. She articulated a plan for suicide (over a boy no less). In the state of Florida, educators are obligated by law to take action when a student talks about their plan for taking their own life. So, I am so glad I stayed! My deputy and I utilized the "Baker Act" to have her taken to the Crisis Center for 72 hours so she could get some much needed therapy and help. Helping kids like her is one of the biggest rewards of my job. It is really sad how sometimes it is an adult at the school who is the only person in a kid's life that they can turn to in a time of need. But hey, that's how my husband and I ended up adopting 2 of our children.

bellaroma, my golf cart is screaming red. It is pretty quick. I am trying not to use it too much as I am trying to make sure I get out there and take several short walks a day. These are some great opportunities to talk with faculty or students. I try to make sure I take a 10 minute walk every 2 hours or so.

nerdgrrl, I would like to think my kids think I am a hoot. I know they think I am strict. They are so funny. They call me the "Dress Code Nazi." Funny stuff. Our district has a pretty strict dress code policy. I have been able to summarize it in a way the kids "get it." No boobs, no butts, no bellies!

dede62, I can't believe that your inner-rule follower is so strict with you. And here I thought you were the International BS Warrior official cheerleader and event organizer....that doesn't sound like someone afraid to live on the edge.

And how was your day everyone?

Tammy
 
Great work Tammy! I can imagine the challenges working with kids like that. My son has a
job at a place where late teens go that don't get the help they need, and end up in a state
run facility. I really worry about him, no weapons, and some of those kids can be very violent.

anyway, get some much needed rest, and hopefully tomorrow isn't as long a day for you

i putzed around the house today, had a closet shelving project i started yesterday and
finished today. cut into my skating time though, have to make up for it friday......LOL
:egypdance:
 
Wow, what a day, Tammy. Good work! I am sure you make a huge, positive difference in a lot of lives. I love that, no boobs, no butts, no bellies---and cover the ink above the stink, too, I bet.
My day was good. Bike ride, work out at the Y, some reading. No ibuprofen since Saturday and not in pain, so I'm happy.
 
:loll:Sissy it goes without saying that covering the ink above the stink falls under the No Butts portion of my summary. Funny thing is, the kids know it. I was standing outside sunning myself at lunch and one student came over to say "hey, Dr. Damn!, that girl over there has 2 b's showing." When I am in the cafeteria supervising the breakfast or lunch lines, I will see the girls come in the door, spot me in the line and turn around so I won't bust them on dress code. When I catch them, we have these hideously ugly basketball shorts and t-shirts emblazoned with DRESS CODE VIOLATOR all over them. The shorts are purple and the shirts are puke green. Then we confiscate their original outfits and send them to class. They can swap out the outfits at the end of the day. The girls especially hate the dress code outfits, but hey, it's the least I can do to make sure that they get to stay in class and take advantage of their free educations. :heehee:
 
DRESS CODE VIOLATOR---what a brilliant idea. I bet you don't have to use those very often.
I'm glad you're a graduate now; it is only fitting that our Grand Hoo-Ha and Queen of the Butt Scooting Boogey have an exalted status:bow:
 
Tammy, those kids are so lucky to have you in their lives. Unfortunately sometimes school is a refuge from worse things at home. I have a good friend that has worked in alternative programs for years and she is constantly rewarded by kids that come back and thank her for caring. Best part of the job!

I love the dress code violator uniform. I might need to share that with some of my educator friends. :thumb:

Yeah, sorry to disappoint about the rule follower thing. It's plagued me all my life. Though I have been known to peek over the edge on occasion!
 
Come over to the dark side Dede...it is way more fun
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!


The violation outfits have really reduced the number of infractions incurred as they are HIGHLY visible on the campus. Tee hee. A little public humilation goes a really long way.

I got my start in the education field working at an Alternative High School. I used to say (with love, of course) that these kids were the Cream of the C-r-a-p!

Tammy
 
Hi Tammy- can you give me an overview of clothing for hospital stay- I have no idea what I need to be buying to ready myself for this surgery.
 
Hi, nanal, I think Tammy is probably at work right now, but I can tell you that I took with me to the hospital: some new pjs that would not be tight on my incision, some nice warm slippers, and a cute robe. I didn't wear any of it. It was just more convenient to wear the hospital gowns, socks with treads, and robes. You'll have an IV the first day and then they'll leave the saline lock in until you're discharged. Do take your cell phone, something to read, glasses as well as contacts, and of course toiletries. Wear something to the hospital that is loose fitting and won't be tight on your dressing, and you can wear the same outfit home.

Others may suggest something I didn't think of. I took too much---a friend or family member can always bring things later if you need them to.

Our Tammy loved wearing boxer shorts; an added advantage to those is that you won't get a wedgie if your surgeon should need to hoist you by your jeans---right, bellaroma ?

If I had known Tammy pre-op, I would have borrowed a set of those Dress Code Violation shorts and shirts to wear:rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom