Bilateral THR Weezy is woozy and back home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Weezy, what kind of sleeves are you doing? I always liked knitting the sleeves because they went quickly, but I HATED sewing them in. Then I learned how to do set-in sleeves from the top down....circular so no seaming when I'm done. Hurray! Now I love love love sleeves. :)

You're sounding wonderful. Whining? I don't hear any whining? I hear a normal 8 weeker who is sensible about allowing plenty of rest time after some strenuous time.

Sharon
 
Right now, I'm rarely taking any actual pain meds other than diclofenac for inflammation. I think I took an oxycontin once last week. Unfortunately, I don't sleep any better at night when I take drugs because they really mess up my sleep cycles. it's either messed up sleep because of drugs or messed up sleep because of pain. I'm just trying to be patient because I know it'll go away in the next couple months.

Hi Weezy,

Glad all went well with the Friday event -- I hope your legs are NOT sore from the long stride of walking with your friend!! :)

I hear you on the prescription pain meds, they can make for a foggy brain and stuffy bowels... But, what about just something OTC like extra strength Tylenol full dose at the end of the day? Once I listened to Josephine; about taking the full dose of Tylenol (acetaminophen) and I actually experienced the analgesic effect, that has become my go to pill if I am having pain or a bad headache!!

It's great to be patient and hopefully the pain will go away in the next few months, but in the meantime you are really active and mobile and joyously celebrating the fact that BTHR was so much easier than those TKRs -- so give yourself a little medicine on those days when you've done so much.

Hope the knitting is going well and that you are resting in your comfy spot while Costco man is busily doing something extraordinary that involves either heavy equipment or maybe some cooking time for you in the kitchen!! :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hey Weezy, what kind of sleeves are you doing? I always liked knitting the sleeves because they went quickly, but I HATED sewing them in. Then I learned how to do set-in sleeves from the top down....circular so no seaming when I'm done. Hurray! Now I love love love sleeves. :)

Sharon

We're just the opposite on sleeves! I hate knitting them but don't mind sewing them up or setting them in. I guess I get tired of knitting them about at the cap level because it's the last part to knit and I have a short attention span...I'm starting to get bored with the sweater by then. These are standard set-in sleeves. But I think I really hate them because I have to modify the caps so much so I'm always having to THINK (how awful!) as I shape the cap with short rows. I have a very long back and forward shoulders, so I have to modify the sweater back by lengthening it in the upper shoulder area and then moving the shoulder line towards to the front. Which means I have to modify the sleeves so that they will fit the extended back armscye. I also have to make some changes in the front (but minor) and the sleeves have to fit that too.

It's a pain, but the results are sweaters that don't pull up in front/shift to the back or look odd at the hemline. Took me years of messing with sewing patterns to really figure out how to fit my funny body well so when I started knitting again, I transferred that knowledge to modifying the sweaters.

Weezy
 
Hey Cardie! Costco man is so busy playing out in his newly remodeled/heated garage that I hardly even see him these days... It's his playroom now and he loves puttering out there. However, he did say he was going to cook up something good for dinner today. :)

I wish Tylenol worked for me, but it doesn't. My only hypothesis is that over the years I've taken SOOOO much OTC pain medicine that I built up a resistance to it or something. I'm talking decades of taking stuff in the past. In recent months I tried taking the Tylenol on a regular schedule, but even after a couple of weeks it had no impact. Sometimes when the pain is just the "right" kind of pain, I've noticed it helping a bit. But it doesn't do a thing for this aching/swelling type of pain. Oh well...at least I know this pain is going away in the not-too-distant future!

Hopefully the knitting will go much better today than yesterday. I was really really tired so spent most of the day just watching TV and not even knitting...couldn't think well enough. But after an almost-decent night's sleep, I feel much better today. Hooray!

Weezy
 
Hi Weezy, just catching up with your thread. You are doing absolutely fab girl! Well done! That energy drain will decrease day by day. You are doing the right thing by allowing down time to recover. Keep up the good work!
 
Thanks Jaycey! You're so right about the energy drain...which of course is the hardest part for someone who has no patience! lol.... and I have made of point of not scheduling much of anything this coming week so that I don't overdo again. You'd think I'd have a bit more patience after all of the joint replacements I've had in the past four years. Hmmm....I'm a bit of a slow learner..... :loll:

Weezy
 
Quite the opposite Weezy. I imagine after all your replacements are just itching to get out there and get on with life! Soon, very soon! :egypdance:
 
I wish Tylenol worked for me, but it doesn't. My only hypothesis is that over the years I've taken SOOOO much OTC pain medicine that I built up a resistance to it or something. I'm talking decades of taking stuff in the past. In recent months I tried taking the Tylenol on a regular schedule, but even after a couple of weeks it had no impact. Sometimes when the pain is just the "right" kind of pain, I've noticed it helping a bit. But it doesn't do a thing for this aching/swelling type of pain. Oh well...at least I know this pain is going away in the not-too-distant future!
What about the lowly aspirin? Or is there a reason you can't take it? I take Tylenol now because that's what they gave me in the hospital and it's recommended here, but I've always relied on aspirin for decades and decades before this. The only time I don't take it is 3 days before giving blood. (Blood is free in Canada, we can't buy or sell it.)
 
The Asprin is a no with the diclofenic (NSAID). Like Weezy I had given up with pills and the diclofenic but after about 3 days I got stiff so I now take just a morning pill, will cut that down soon to every other day.
 
Aspirin sounds like a good idea, but it does nothing for me...just like Tylenol. Another bummer! My body does seem to be very resistent to the milder analgesics available OTC and I HATE narcotic drugs. So I'm pretty much stuck with just the diclofenac for now and I'm counting the days until I can quit. My stomach is counting the days until I can quit too! Even though I'm very very careful to always take it with food, it's bothering me some now.

Wow, Puddle Fish--you're able to cut down to just one a day? CONGRATS!!!! I'm still doing two a day. Made the mistake of quitting it all together a couple weeks ago. That only lasted two days. I'm afraid it's going to be a couple more weeks before I'm willing to try cutting down again. Tried some gentle stretches this morning and THAT was a mistake! Still too soon after my walking adventures on Friday. :sad:

Weezy
 
I'm another one that doesn't respond to Tylenol or the OTC NSAIDs like Aleve. I went thru them all as I was moving away from the narcotics & I just don't have the right pain receptors that like the OTC meds. So I started back on my Diclofenac, 75 mg twice a day & it helps but I find myself going bak to the Vicodin at night. Whatever works right now is what I'm going with.
 
Words of wisdom, Mary Beth! I think that's the most any of us can do--figure out what works best and then go with it. Hmmm...I'd forgotten but I still have some Vicodin hanging around from my June surgery. Maybe I'll try that at least during the day. I'm always reluctant to take pain pills at night after the first few weeks because they really mess with my sleep, and I have enough problems sleeping as it is. It becomes a real toss up: a little less pain or a lot less sleep and miserable sleep quality to boot.

This getting older is for the birds!

Weezy
 
Weezy, sorry your still reeling a bit from last week. Are you able to take anything like prilosec while you're still taking the diclofenac? When I started taking the Relafen prior to surgery I had to start taking prilosec since my stomach wasn't liking it. However, since going back on it, I've been doing without it OK. Hope you get some good rest and start feeling better during the week! :console2:
 
Hi Weezy- I hope you get back on track soon! It is so frustrating when we are making good progress and then knock ourselves back. Get some good rest!
 
Hi Weezy,

Happy New Year to you and Costco man!! I hope all is going well with you both and all the new joints.
Give us an update sometime, so we know how you are doing.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom