Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

Well, side 1 was in 2011 and side 2 in 2012.....so guess I can join both groups:) Hips are doing well! Most days I forget about them and I really wish I had them done 5 years ago when I was first told I needed THR. So glad to see how well many of us are doing!
Dee
 
Hi Dee205

Welcome back, wonderful to hear you have the 'forgotten hip' we all crave for. :)

In the new year I will start a 'Class of 2012 Hippies' - so yes, you have one hip in each year :)
 
:goodpost: Thankyou to each and everyone of you for taking the time to post your personal stories of recovery. Poppet this was such a great idea!!! xxxx:friends:

For us newbies that cannot possibly comprehend a life without pain right now, these sorts of stories empower us to move forward and make the change that we all try and resist for so long, usually to our own detriment.

Simple tasks like hopping back on a bike, putting on a shoe, meeitng a friend for coffee, are all activities right now dictated by my groaning hip. I cannto fathom that this angst and pain will be behind me, until i read your posts and they shine like a beacon of hope helping to eliminate my angst and fear.

If we can continue this beautiful cycle, than i think that is the true meaning of 'paying it forward' as sharonslp once said to me :flwrysmile:

Thankyou again guys, i cannot read enough good news stories and wish you all from the bottom of my heart the most wonderful of New Years for 2013, may all of your dreams come true!! xoxoxoo
 
It has taken me a while to figure out what I was going to write relating to myself... But here goes...

The class of 2011 know my Pre surgery story and if you don't, we'll you can read it via my links in my signature.

Summing it up, I waited far too long to get my RTHR - 8 years.. self imposed, too scared, knew too much (ex nurse), I can overcome this when I do .... The simple fact is that I lost 8 years of my life that I can never get back.. Let that be a lesson for anyone contemplating this surgery.

Recovery - well my recovery didn't start too well, in fact it nearly didn't start at all - twice! - coded twice!

Surgery went very well just over two hours.. especially considering the complexity of my surgery and the state of my kidneys.

As my signature states, the next 5 days in ICU I have no recollection of.. none what so ever.. apparently I had a wonderful team looking after me, keeping me alive and bringing me back to life.

My recovery started when I moved from ICU to HDU and then to the surgical ward and to my room.. The first recollection I have was saying to my husband.. My leg is laying flat on the bed.. For 8 years the right leg was bent at the knee and I could not straighten it out. That was my first joy..

I could not wipe the smile off my face with my first steps with the PT and my trusty walker.. They were magic! I was no longer bent over, I was standing tall, I could feel the strength of my new hip and best of all, I had no bone on bone pain! Nothing was going to stop me then..

The nurses would find me walking the floor of the surgical ward is the wee small hours (with my walker) looking for food mainly, lol... I was continuously ravenous..

Hubby brought fresh fruit salad, freshly made chicken congee soup in and even picked up Thai takeaway several days.. I wasn't too keen on the hospital food, so we decided that hubby would bring most meals in for me.. I had stocks of everything...

But I walked, I did my exercises.. Then came the day to go home.. well that was a celebration.. because for a while there, it looked like I wouldn't. I got home to a house full of fresh flowers, fresh linen, fresh air... and a shiny new hip..

Fast forward to 13 months.. I have the forgotten hip.

I Nordic Walk as often as my professional life allows me, I swim when I can, there is nothing I cannot do..walking, housework, washing, ironing, working, shopping, gardening.. the world is my oyster!

So, if you are reading this and thinking about having a THR - don't wait....

But do remember, recovery is not fast, this is major surgery, it takes time for your body to heal, you will feel frustrated at time, impatient, sad and emotional and happy all within the same moment.

Read the members recovery stories, but this is your journey and yours alone, don't compare your own progress with others, we are individuals, have different life factors that will come into play..

ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY, you have been given a gift - quality of life!
 
Nice idea for a thread, Poppet! I'd say it WAS successful as you've received a lot of input! One thing I'll remind everyone of is to check in on New Year's Day as well. We usually have a lot of folks from past years drop by and say hi.
 
I stumbled across this thread while I popped in to visit the New Year's Party - very happy to have found it! So nice to read the updates from my "hipmates," and I was especially happy to hear from pomperson! I really put off my hip surgery and just felt resigned to have it done. Very nervous about the whole thing. But low and behold, I found Bonesmart and people like me and we were all able to help each other through it! After all of that worry, I ended up not having any trouble with the surgery. Mine was more difficult than some as I was born with a dislocated hip and had 2 surgeries as a child (probably why I put this off). But in the end, I really had nothing to worry about! Now I am doing things that I have never been able to do. I have no pain. I do have a lift on my one shoe, but even that has not proven to be the ordeal I thought it would be. I'm thankful to have it as it allows me to walk normally for the first time in my life! The question now is, why did I wait so long and what was I so afraid of? Was it all worth it? Yes :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies
hipmom! I am so happy for you---this place is the bomb!!! We are all better for having found it and been a part of it. I, too, have to get one sole lifted---but it is worth it and I really hardly notice it nor does anyone else.
[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies
 
I have to say when I wrote my story I was thinking of my knee not my hip which is the one that was done 2011. Da. My hip is wonderful. It is all well and doesn't hurt most of the time. Very seldom does it hurt. Just had a couple of days of cold and it did get to the hip. As far as the hip is concerned not much I can't do. So the surgrey was 100 per cent. So glad I had it. Wished my others did as good. It started of rocky because it wasn't pain controled but did take a turn and now eveything is great. I wish for all my friends at this site to get totally pain free. And get your life back as much as you are able and to be surprised that it is even better than expected. Everyone do take care and do have a good life. Tashia
 
Jyoti lovely to hear from you, I will add you to the list - thanks for dropping by.. Is there anything we can help you with?

Hi Poppet,
Thanks. A bit of magic fairy dust would be great from your avatar :wink:
Jyoti
 
Hi, im a 2011 hippie and 3 months away from my LTHR's 2nd Birthday:dancy:. My new hips have been fab my real hips never felt as strong or stable. Im at the stage now when i dont think about them everyday like i used too. Alas having said that i still get lots of pain in my buttocks and thighs,my right foot is numb if I'm on my feet for longer 10 mins and i cant walk very far at all. All this became a BIG problem in feb last year when i returned to work after my RTHR, i was a Phlebotomist and i worked in a very busy Hospital,the problem became so bad sadly i gave up a job i loved. I have had an MRi and im waiting to hear from my spine specialist on the next step of treatment thats right for my condition that being lumber stenosis and 2 prolapsed discs hence all the leg pain im still experiencing he did mention surgery so he wanted to discuss what is the best way forward for my condition. I have had all the conservative treatment and steroid nerve blocks and epidurals. Im not down i see this as the final part of my journey to fix a defect that was undetected from birth as my specialist said sadly for me spine and hips have worked hand in hand to create my wobbly legs :heehee:. So here i am nearly two years on from my first replacement and i am so very glad i had this amazing surgery as i dread to think how small my world would be now as my pain made life hard work. Anyway good luck to you all and its been nice catching up and reading lots of positive recoverys. Kind Regards Michelle xx
 
Hi michelle44, welcome back, lovely to hear from you :)

I am sad that you had to give up the job you love and that you have more issues to sort through, but happy that they are being sorted through.

Regards the job, remember the saying.. One door closes, another opens :)

Hugs
 
Sandy is right. Don't ever give up!!! Keep working to resolve whatever pain issues you are having and your chances of getting better are still there. I'm glad you posted. I hope we hear more from you. Remember we are here for you!
 
Helloooooo
I'm still here from the class of 2011 too although up till now only very occasionally popping in. That is due as others have said, to the fact that I was getting on with my new post RTHR life and the fact that I was able to progress so well was due in no small way to the help and support I received from BS. As it happens I'm now recovering from having my other THR done on 10 January so am spending more time browsing the site and using the library and will be a member of the class of 2013 too!
Great to see so many familiar faces and see how well we're all doing. I'm just frustrated now by the snow which is stopping me going out for little walks but is certainly ensuring I'm more sensible about resting than I was with my last THR!
Will try and find my old thread and post on it but in the meantime very best wishes to all on BS!!!
Anne
 
Just came back because of possible revisions of both my hips which I had replaced on June 15, 2011. Now found out that the Stryker implats that were used on both hips have been recalled and have tested very high levels of cobalt and chromium in my blood. Waiting for a call from my OS right now. Anybody else having this problem?
 
MaryJane, I am so sorry about that. Please keep us posted. Take care Tashia
 
Hi
Another Hippy from 2011,just wanted to say hello and lifes really good with my new hip although i still get some ankle swelling on my operated leg when ive sat too long at my desk at work.
Great to see this site is still such a massive help to those going through surgery,Keep up the good work :thumb:
 
Hi BlueRoses welcome back, great to hear from you.

So pleased your hip is doing what it should... Giving you your quality of life back...

Can you at least stand and stretch every 20-30 mins at your desk to help with the swelling? I find some days my ankles swell if I haven't moved enough?

Once again lovely to hear from you :)
 
Back
Top Bottom