Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

Great idea Poppet! Sorry I hadn't commented before - been busy with home fix-it projects, Christmas mayhem, etc. Life is lovely with two pain-free hips! Not much new to report - just having fun and loving being retired. I only wish I had more extra $$$ - I keep seeing places I'd love to go visit and things I'd love to go do. Hope all our past, current, and future hippies have a blessed holiday season and a spectacularly wonderful New Year!
 
djklaugh thanks Deb, for dropping by... Sending love and hugs as always to you my friend :)
 
sissy46 yes warrior girl, there will be a class of 2012 :) xx

It is a great way to reconnect occasionally as we get on with our lives.. Me, well I am here for the duration :)
 
Jyoti lovely to hear from you, I will add you to the list - thanks for dropping by.. Is there anything we can help you with?
 
Hello

I thought it was time I logged on to the forum again to wish everyone all the best for Christmas and the New Year.

I noticed this thread in the sticky section.

Sandy, what a good idea.

I would really like to know how all the familiar names who supported each other through recovery are getting on now, and its good to see the responses above and how our friends are doing.

I am sure it is true that the small number of posts so far is a mesure of the success of hip replacement surgery as the surgery can truely return us to the "way we were". We don't now even think we have replacement hips and the focus of attention moves away to other things.

I am a typical example as I have logged on to the forum less and less as the time has gone by. I am sorry for this as I got a great deal of support from the forum at a time when it was needed, and I have to take my hat off to the moderators, administrators and stalwart regular contributors.

You are doing a fantastic job.

Its now well over 12 months since I had the second hip in November 2011 and the best way to describe it I dont ever consider my hips at all. I have a great range of hip motion and no (even minor) aches or pains.

Its great!

I walk the dogs, cycle and ride my motorbike (when the weather is good!). All of these were either difficult or impossible prior to the surgery - I couldn't even get on the motorbike as the range of motion in the hips was so restricted.

But in many ways its dong simple thing without even thinking that is the best - such as picking things up off the floor, crossing one leg over the other, cutting toe nails etc.

For those awaiting the surgery or in the recovery stage, the journey can have some ups and downs and it can be more difficult for some than others but I think virtually without exception everyone who has graduated agrees it was all worthwhile.

Sand, three other names that spring to mind are Jollyroger, the Cappuccino Kid and Hagiswhisperer (I think!)

:merrychr:

Best wishes

Dave
 
DaveGM

Hi there Dave my good friend.. So lovely to hear from you. I am so pleased to hear that you are riding your motorcycle as well as cycling and walking.

How are the dogs? Need an updated photo?

I want to personally thank you Dave, for giving me such wonderful advice.. 'It is a marathon, not a sprint' I have recited that many times in posts, hundreds probably!

It served me well, perhaps too well... I think I have turned into the consummate lazy member.. although SO has recently given it a new turn of phrase - 'Physically Conservative' ... He has not lost his sense of humor!

Do pop by on New Years Eve, if you get the opportunity :)

Hugs xx

p.s. I will check out the other member user names you gave me Dave - thanks heaps :)
 
This thread is certainly NOT a failure ! Nostalgic for me to read thru the list of names and my BS friends. Count me in on the group for 2011 and 2012. Delightful to read the posts occasionally of how well everyone is doing.

Kevin
 
Thanks Kevin.. Jetlag

My aim was to provide a thread at the end of the year so that we can post in the one spot.. Threads disappear as do members when life takes over.. as it should be.. But as you say occasionally it is nice to pop back and catch up with surgical buddies, we were only 2 days apart!

So what are you up to lately?

Holidays?

Activities?

You may not realize, but Jo used your video of how to ascend and descend stairs for someone the other week.. Helped the member a lot - thank you :)

Great to hear from you :)
 
Great idea with the stickie Poppet. So THAT'S where that much repeat phrase about it being a marathon and not a sprint comes from!

Can't wait for this time next year so we can see a class of 2012 thread.
 
Spid

Yes, my dear friend DaveGM reinforced the mantra 'it is a marathon, not a sprint' throughout my own personal recovery.

Dave is very special to me and supported me tremendously through very difficult times. We now have a life long friendship.

There most definitely will be a class of 2012... I will get to that in the new year sometime. :)
 
Greetings to Everyone and a Very Merry Christmas!!! First off I apologize for just disappearing! No excuses. I would like to give a quick update on how I'm doing!!! Ready....drum roll....


F A N T A S T I C!!!

It has been 16 months and about 7 days and I just couldn't be happier with my recovery and the results of this surgery!! First off, for all of the pre-op individuals out there who are reading and educating themselves about what to expect and hoping to find that perfect sentence or glimmer of information to make your nerves settle down....you probably won't find it, as it is a scary thought to do what you're about to do. HOWEVER....and this is a big however, for me this was an amazingly wonderful experience!!! I went from a lot of pain, pain that I didn't even know that I had, to driving in about 10-14 days! I was on the walker way longer than I anticipated and was a little bummed about that (5 weeks) but, I'm proud to say that I had gotten all that I could out of my right hip and there was absolutely NO STRENGTH left when I hit the OR and it just took time to get back the strength to walk without a walker. I wish I took notes but I don't remember how long I was using a cane after ditching the walker. I have a parrot and I actually started using the walker as a perch for her in the kitchen!!! LOL It's now resigned to the garage and I really need to donate it to someone who could use it!

Right now....16 months, 7 days post op....I feel wonderful. I can walk as far as I want, I can dance, I can sing...oh, wait, no, I can't...LOL, well, maybe a little. I take Pilates, I just ordered some ballet-type dvds for myself, my ROM is amazing. The only residual problem I have is very, very, very slight nerve damage down the outer side of my left calf. Not even worth mentioning really. It just feels a bit tingly when I touch it. I can tell it's getting better, but honestly, I'm really looking for things to complain about when I bring it up. The only time I take pain meds is when I have a headache!!! How nice is that!!!!

Well, we have really late dinner reservations for Christmas dinner and I need to get ready. I just saw the invite for New Years and wanted to update. I am doing really, really well, and honestly, I can hardly remember having surgery or how INCREDIBLY TERRIFIED I was when I walked into UCLA Medical Center on Aug. 18, 2011 at 4:30 a.m. I have to remind myself regularly that I have TWO FAKE HIPS!!!! Don't hesitate, do your research, QUESTION your doctor, LOVE your doctor, TRUST your doctor, and just get it freaking over with so you can move on with your life!!!! Life for me began at 50....again!!! :puppysmooze:

Merry, Merry Christmas & A Very Happy 2013!!!
 
pomperson

Hi Donna, welcome to the Class of 2011 hippies.. What a fantastic update!

Life is good after BTHR. I am so happy for you.

Keep on keeping on, life is too short to be sitting on the sidelines that is for sure :)
 
I'm here too, but not on the list I think. My apologies as I have not visited recently. This is, as has been noted already, great news for the class of 2012 as it shows that the majority of us have been re-absorbed back into activity and work. So thank you for starting this thread and reminding me to pop by and share with you all again.
Its lovely to see all the 'wellness' posts and that even those with some residual problems are so positive.
Personally I am a new person since my right THR in August 2011. I have almost total ROM in my new hip, just a little tightness if I twist too far. I find it amazing that I have a replacement hip, and that the operation has made such a profound difference to my quality of life. I have received comments that I look 10 years younger, and I do feel like that!
I was dancing by November at my 55th birthday party, ride a push bike plus my motor scooter and I walk to work most days. We went camping, walking, cycling in the summer in Norfolk and France, all without hip or back pain! I compared a recent trip to Venice to visit to the last time I went and to a trip to Portugal when I could hardly walk and my hip locked in a restaurant which was excruciatingly painful and embarassing.

I can only say to those who may be waiting to recover, its worth the long haul - so do those exercises, and keep doing them even if the hip feels better, you need to keep the muscles strong around it. I find aqua-robics really helpful, and do some basic physio exercises most days if I possibly can as I am so THR in August 2012. I was so happy for her, she also looks younger and WELL now. So Happy Christmas and a joyful New Year to all the class of 2011 and everyone who reads this post.
:xmastree:
 
Hi there Vikki

How lovely to hear from you and what a wonderful update.. Life is good !

Do pop by another time and let us know what other fabulous activities you are getting up to :)

p.s. I will pop you on the list for future reference :)
 
Great idea, I'm here! Just got to try and figure out how to post using new fangled technology! I
 
Hey Lisa lisanewmc. - you worked out the new forum format really well :)

How are you?

How is your photography going? I remember some of your beautiful photos.. Would love to see more. :)

Take a look at SissyG thread. Sissy takes beautiful shots of animals and nature..

Don't forget the New Year Eve's bash here on BoneSmart.. and that applies to anyone else who maybe reading this.. Let's make it the biggest party ever!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom