TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

I'm almost envious of those who were able to go back to work. I wI'll try next week from home and see if I am able to accomplish anything. I have been responding to some emails because the last thing I wanted was to go back to hundreds of unanswered emails. My boss has been trying very hard not to bug me with questions, which must be very difficult for him because 50% of my day is usually spent answering his questions or finding things he can't be bothered looking for. Hopefully this is a learning experience for him.

My knee is still very stiff and sore today but at least I was able to sleep for a good 5 hours last night. I was able to set up my shower bench and get ready today without any help so I must be improving. I just have to remember that I'm only 4 weeks out and the feelings are all normal. Tomorrow my husband and I are going for a walk.I will see how far I get.
 
I was able to set up my shower bench and get ready today without any help so I must be improving. I just have to remember that I'm only 4 weeks out and the feelings are all normal. .
Exactly so.
 
A few days can make a lot of difference in this recovery process. For anyone struggling with pain and with seemingly little progress, in a few days, things will be better. I was stuck with extension at 5 and flexion at 95 and didn't seem to be making any gains on that. Today at physio at the very beginning My extension was 0 and flexion was 100. By the end of it my flexion was 115 and it did not hurt to get there. It is aching now that I am home but I'm icing and elevating. My gait has improved and I don't need the cane for my knee any more. I still need it for my back but that's another story.

My PT was very pleased with my progress and I will soon be able to start working on strength. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I know I will be sore tomorrow so the plan is to rest and use the Cryo cuff. Oh and take my meds!
 
I never did find a comfortable sleeping position in bed. I slept in my recliner with a small pillow between my knees. As for the pain meds, I was able to wean myself off daytime Percocet, but continued with one before bedtime until about 6 weeks ago. I continued to have a deep ache that would wake me in the middle of the night if I skipped it. At that point I cut it in half and finally was able to drop it completely about 2-1/2 weeks ago.


JanG
Right TKR 2015/03/19
 
Tuesday = day after physio and that means my activity is even more limited than usual. It's a rest, ice, elevate day and not much else. My pain meds are working so I can't say I have a lot of pain but the knee is stiff and doesn't want to play at all. I'd be lucky to get it to 90 flexion after yesterday's 115. Also, I had some weird Dilaudid dreams last night. I had a hole in my side through which I could insert my hand, reach down into my leg and feel the metal of my knee. It was very bizarre. I could feel the plastic parts and they were squishy. At least it shows I did sleep!
 
5 weeks today and I had my first session on the Alter G anti gravity treadmill. I walked at a good pace for 15 minutes at 25% of my body weight. It felt amazing but as soon as the machine was switched off and all my body weight returned, my knee started to swell up like a balloon. Now I'm at home with the Cryo cuff. It was an amazing sensation and I can't wait until I get to the stage where I can run. I have not ran anywhere for any reason for at least 10 years and maybe even longer than that now that I come to think of it.
 
Had a wee bit of an outing today. Went to physio where I walked on the anti gravity treadmill again. I only did 10 minutes this time and stopped as soon as I felt pain. My PT wants me to do water walking as soon as my scar heals completely so I had to buy a swim suit. Not easy for a large person but I found one at a great store near my house. Hubby was off work so he drove me and I got a nice black one, perfect for rehab, useless for sunbathing, which is fine with me. He also took me to work to say hi to everybody and pick up a package that had been delivered. Boss was off playing golf so I didn't see him, but I saw two of the girls and they were very pleased to see me. I felt quite normal.

I was fading fast and the knee was complaining bitterly about the increased activity so home to the ice machine and some pampering from hubby.
 
It is amazing how doing one wee thing can make us feel normal in this recovery process. Hubby took laundry downstairs, I sorted it and started the first load. I also get to sit on my recliner in the basement that was previously out of bounds because of the stairs. I am being useful for the first time in 6 weeks!
 
My niece got married in Cuba back in April and today she is having a reception picnic for all those who were not able to attend the wedding. I'm a bit nervous about there being a lot of kids running around. I told her that I needed a seat and stool for my leg so hopefully I will be able to find a comfortable spot. I don't think we'll stay long. Is it normal to feel this anxious?
 
Definitely! My PT suggested using my walker when we went out to eat rather than my cane at ten weeks because the walker created a natural barrier the cane would not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Yes, perfectly natural to feel nervous... But you are already thinking about how to protect it... Good luck and enjoy the party!
 
We didn't go to the reception. My knee decided to remind me who was boss and to admit me as a fully paid up member of the overdid it club. Yesterday I felt normal, today I feel like a wuss! I am very disappointed in myself. I think hubby is pleased. He does not relish big crowd social situations especially when there are a lot of kids because his brain gets overloaded and he can't hear properly. There was going to be a bouncy castle so a lot of noise!

I haven't heard back from my niece but I think she understands. She said last week that she would understand perfectly if I couldn't come but I told her I was determined. Yeah well, that didn't work. As I said, I'm a wuss!
 
I wonder if anyone can provide any information about the difference between TKR leaving your patella and TKR where they give you a new fake patella. I had the latter and I'm having a lot of pain above and below my new patella, where presumably the OS attached the patella to the ligaments. I'm wondering if this is normal for both situations or if it is just a symptom of patellar replacements.
 
I wonder if anyone can provide any information about the difference between TKR leaving your patella and TKR where they give you a new fake patella. I had the latter and I'm having a lot of pain above and below my new patella, where presumably the OS attached the patella to the ligaments.
I don't think they actually remove your whole patella and give you a new one.
What they do is shave off the worn cartilage and any bone spurs at the back (underneath) of your patella and then attach a plastic button instead.
To remove the patella and attach a fake one to the ligaments would be a major job, and I haven't heard of it being done routinely during knee replacements.

However, the surgeon does have to move the patella aside in order to get access to the ends of your femur and tibia and the patella is also turned over, to work on its underside. All that re-positioning could well have irritated the muscles and tendons to which the patella is attached.

I think I've explained it correctly, but I'm going to ask @Josephine to comment as well, just in case I've got it wrong.
 
The surgeon told me that my patella was so badly arthritic that it had to be replaced. I seem to have a lot of pain in the ligaments. I see him on Thursday and will ask him.
 
No, it's just resurfaced. There is no way the entire patella. Can't be done.

Are you still doing exercises?
 
I am doing a few exercises at home but mostly at physio I walk for 15 minutes in an anti- gravity treadmill. At home I spend 5 minutes on my recumbent bike pushing backwards and forwards but not completing a cycle yet. I do 5 sets of heel slides twice per day, raise up on tip toes about once a day for 5 sets and 5 sets of hamstring stretches once per day. My PT said they could not have replaced my patella so I'm wondering why my OS told me that. I shall ask him on Thursday. Oh and Physio is three times per week.
 
Back
Top Bottom