TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

It's 1:17 and I've been in bed since 9:30. Haven't slept a wink. The pain at the top of my calf is making it very difficult to rest my leg on the pillows. I have tried every position and nothing works. So out comes the iPad and reading more success stories on Bonesmart to cheer me up. Listening to my husband gently snoring is not helping. I'm jealous. I was trying to cut down to one Dilaudid but I think at 1:30 I will take 2. It could be a looooooooooooong night.
 
When I decided to begin cutting down on meds, I started daytime first. I didn't want to jeopardize sleep. Also, I slowly extended the time between doses. Just sharing what worked for me for your consideration.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I ventured outside today. Only to the back deck which involves 4 steps into the garage and walking through the garage to get there, but I did it and it smelled nice outside. A bit too warm for me though. No naps today in the hope that I sleep tonight.
 
To me, it seems as if you are trying to cut down your medications too early. It's normal to still need to take the full pain relief regime at your stage of recovery. Can you try taking step back and increasing the pain meds to the previous level for a while longer?
 
You are one week ahead of me so please stay updating! I'm so glad I found this forum and know I'm not the only one! Hope you feel better soon
 
To me, it seems as if you are trying to cut down your medications too early. It's normal to still need to take the full pain relief regime at your stage of recovery. Can you try taking step back and increasing the pain meds to the previous level for a while longer?

I was prescribed 2 mg of Dilaudid one to two tablets every 4 hours as needed. I found that taking the 4 mg makes me very dopey so that should be good for sleeping. I took them last night at about 10:30, fell asleep after midnight and woke up just before 7 with excruciating pain at the back of my knee. Decided to take one tablet to see if it does anything for the pain.
 
Not sure what I'm doing wrong but the pain at the back of my knee seems to be getting worse. When I lie in bed with my leg elevated on pillows it hurts where the back of the knee touches the pillow. I am doing very gentle exercises and taking my meds but it is still the same. I don't see the OS until August 10 to get the staples out. Physio is coming later today. At the moment I'm having trouble just getting out of bed. My hubby went back to work today and I haven't eaten anything yet. It's almost lunchtime. Think this is a definite down day.
 
I'm the same!!!! I posted today a thread (which may get combined with my recovery thread) titled "pressure pain" detailing exactly this. Ice helps me but nothing else.

Re the down day please accept a big hug. I had a down weekend and spent most of the weekend literally feral with pain. You have my complete sympathy. Fortunately I'm doing better today myself, so do hang in there. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Thanks for the hug Julie-Ann, I needed that and send one back to you.:tada: I managed to get out of bed and get my ice pack from the freezer. Yay to small victories.
 
Indeed. My partner sighs but at least he is willing and does the ice for me! I need a second tkr soon as poss so I've invested in a cryo cuff hope it fits my big fat legs... Will know tomorrow.

Hope you feel better soon
 
I wanted to get a cryogenic cuff but was worried that it wouldn't fit my knee. As my auntie Mary used to say, "there's a lot of meat on that babby!"
 
I ventured into the kitchen, toasted a bagel, spread it with light cream cheese and carried it back to the living room, all on one crutch. Funnily enough it was my good leg that hurt more. My hip was really sore and I was shaking when I sat down. Maybe tomorrow I'll ask my husband to make me a sandwich and leave it in the fridge. How could the little bit of activity be overdoing it, but it feels like it was. Going to rest till physio gets here at 3.
 
If it was too much, it was too much. Good solution to have your husband make you a sandwich and put it in the fridge.
 
PT came. I am on course. 85 degrees flexion and good extension. He was able to identify the exact sore spots at the back of my knee. My calf muscle and hamstring are tight and that is what is causing the pain. I have to do tip toe exercises for my calf and touching my toe with my leg out in front of me to stretch my hamstring. Apart from that all is well. The swelling had gone down a lot since last time. He was pleased with my slow and steady progress and reminded me to take my meds.
 
Sounds like what I might have back of knew and calf are hurting more than they were before but I am 7 weeks out it cramps up really bad.Glad you were able to get help and at least know what it is. Valerie

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Wow, despite having a long afternoon nap, I slept reasonably well last night. I can say for the first time in two weeks that I woke up without pain and for about two seconds actually felt normal. Two weeks ago I was preparing for surgery. Seems like only yesterday. It's the day for our cleaners to come so I need to be prepared to get up and move rooms. Hiring them was the best decision ever, especially now.
 
For how long do people normally have their staples in? I was told they would be taken out after two weeks but my OS is on vacation and they won't be coming out until August 10. That will be 19 days after my surgery. Is there any harm in having them in for so long?
 
Back
Top Bottom